Why All the Secrecy Around KS5?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Why All the Secrecy Around KS5?

Post by kitenerd » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:30 am

As the walls get nicer the floors also get much more finely hewn. So it's obvious that this level of class and sophistication would require a much nicer floor.

Interestingly, the corner contains full pillars. We wouldnt want side by side pillars, so will the walls have a pillar in the center?
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:29 am

This is cool. It definitely has that Dwarf vibe. Which could lead to things like accessories and bits for forges, mines, throne room, treasurer, mint, etc.

I am a bit curious about integration with CBS - i.e., will the height match CBS floor + wall or the KS1 height? I also wonder if one of the walls could come with a window so that it could also be part of an above ground structure. As far as that goes, it would be cool to see a matching CBS stone wall, pillar, floor, so that this could be the below ground and keep the theme for above ground.
Last edited by lostpict on Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:08 am

Looking again, my only nitpick is the floor portion looks more like KS3's battlements than the original dungeon tiles. It is a flatter look. If it's supposed to be back to the dungeons, I just hope it fits in, or there are enough pieces (other floors) that it's not an issue.
Last edited by AnimeSensei on Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

natetaylor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by natetaylor » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:04 am

kodiakbear wrote:Image
If these new dungeons are more than just a more elaborate dungeon style what are they?

Are they the more wealthy owners dungeon?
Are they Dwarven dungeons? (The six sided columns)
Are they dungeons with a nod to the glory of Valoria's versions of the Romans?

Right now I see them as Dwarven dungeons but I wonder what everybody else thinks and more of course wonder what Stefan himself sees them as?
Now this is the sort of speculation we love to see.

You guys are the best!

Talk to you in January with more info and more KS4 update photos. We should have a ton of painted stuff to show off then.

Oh, and to clarify, we're not reissuing KS1 pieces in KS5. Everything will be new.

kodiakbear
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:02 am

So as I was looking at this new dungeon piece for a third time I was wondering what Stefan and crew were thinking when they sculpted it.

Sure they could have just been simply thinking lets make a new more elaborate dungeon style. And that would be fine but Stefan could have been thinking more as he often does from an artistic and architectural stand point. After all many of the items is KS3 and KS4 were reflections of what he could see being part of his own game world.

If these new dungeons are more than just a more elaborate dungeon style what are they?

Are they the more wealthy owners dungeon?
Are they Dwarven dungeons? (The six sided columns)
Are they dungeons with a nod to the glory of Valoria's versions of the Romans?

Right now I see them as Dwarven dungeons but I wonder what everybody else thinks and more of course wonder what Stefan himself sees them as?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:12 am

Huzzah for the swanky fancy dungeon! At some point there has to be a NICE section of town right?

Perfect way to increase overall layout size while creating a distinct and different feel!

I'm in ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:11 am

Kryzsko wrote: 2. Walls with metal in them for magnet use and some magnet decor.
3. LED socket walls so we can plug in the LED pieces from KS4.
4. Floor sets more like those in KS4.
5. I would like the NEW dungeon set to be at the true 1" scale (but I now not everyone agrees with me).
Thank you for the beans! VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! I hope you can sense our enthusiasm and thankfulness for the pics and answers.

If we're doing dungeons, these are my list as well. I also would like a City Streets expansion and MBS-style CBS pieces, as Kryzko mentioned above.

Wish list after that is variations in cavern walls and water tile coastlines.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:33 am

Nate, thank you so much. This is exactly what I wanted. Just some idea what was coming next. I know you are very busy, and I hope you have an amazing holiday with your family, and I hope you are able to get some sleep with that new baby.

I love the dungeon focus. There are a few things I would like to see:
1. Some larger sections for faster builds.
2. Walls with metal in them for magnet use and some magnet decor.
3. LED socket walls so we can plug in the LED pieces from KS4.
4. Floor sets more like those in KS4.
5. I would like the NEW dungeon set to be at the true 1" scale (but I now not everyone agrees with me).

I do hope you can squeeze in a few pieces for the CBS. We need a few pieces (talked about in the KS5 thread) to allow us to make better interior builds. We need a Tudor advanced builder set, and to quote AnimeSensei "2x2 Floor with a post holes, 2" wall with pegs, 2" corner walls or slightly less than 2" wall with peg(s) to create a corner."

Those few pieces would make it substantially easier to make interior builds with the CBS.

Thanks again for this update.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:30 am

Thank you. I am sated (for now).

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:01 am

I really appreciate the update and will be sending you my wallet "soonish".

I like the new theme for KS5 and am looking forward to it. The new corner piece is really good and I'd love to see the basic set be that, a couple new walls and a nice floor or two. Maybe a door too. Then the stretch goals be the interesting or fun stuff.

I would like to see the modularity of DF return also. There is some in KSIII and KSIV, but so much mroe in KSI and KSII.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria