Elye posted a bunch of Videos to Youtube

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Elye posted a bunch of Videos to Youtube

Post by jchunick » Tue May 02, 2017 1:53 pm

Law wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 am
It's becoming clear to me that the castles are just going to be a completely different beast for me. Almost not even DF - the DF imprint will be the degree of choice you have to modify your castle, but the end result is still always going to be a castle - unlike dungeons, caves and even cities, which admit a ton of variety and can be totally unique each time, castles are at the end of the day still castles.
Off the top of my head I envision:
- Castles
- City walls / City gate
- Stronghold or Keep with little to no outer wall defences...
- Ruins - maybe a ruins with some of the wall and tower ruin pieces; castle/keep/stronghold ruins
- various specialty pieces (small corner walls, tower walls, etc) for use in various dungeon builds
- Towers - of course
- larger buildings in city (eg. churches/cathedrals, libraries, guild halls, etc.)

Now, looking at the other sets I could argue that caverns are always going to be caverns... can't build a cavern into a castle, nor as a dungeon (although it can be part of one). Of course castles is mainly going to be used to build castles, as CBS is mainly for building towns, or sewers for sewers, or caverns for caverns... it's the individual pieces you get with these sets that can go beyond their original use. As I'm writing this, all I can think of are all the things William does with DF tiles that are so creative.
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue May 02, 2017 12:11 pm

I'm mostly excited about the towers. I pledged for a GC just so I could build a castle if necessary, but I really am stoked about being able to make a tower, a lighthouse, etc.
102 Resin and 210 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Stormfury
Orc
Orc

Post by Stormfury » Tue May 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Law wrote:
It's becoming clear to me that the castles are just going to be a completely different beast for me. Almost not even DF - the DF imprint will be the degree of choice you have to modify your castle, but the end result is still always going to be a castle - unlike dungeons, caves and even cities, which admit a ton of variety and can be totally unique each time, castles are at the end of the day still castles.
Yes and no. I'd say it's most likely always going to be castles, but I envision using them for more than just that. You might use them simply as walls around a city or as a backdrop. Ie. Castle walls around a village using the cubes to 'plug' the ends.

I could also see myself using them simply to elevate other structures as well. Ie. Using the castle walls with the flat frame pieces to put underneath a CBS structure to give it height, maybe the castle walls are a 'cellar' level. Could also put felt over it for hills, etc.
Law wrote:
I'm beyond psyched. So glad I went big.
Same here. Glad I went big as well. Spent about 4x as much as I Had planned or hoped, but I am really glad I did. Now I'm going to have to plan another massive weekend campaign based on a giant castle to explore. Looking forward to getting my stuff.

Also op, Thanks for sharing these videos!
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Tue May 02, 2017 12:09 pm

I'm very interested in trying some buildings off the towers... or even trying a 1/2 round butted up against a full tower... I'm curious how much tower designs can be pushed and if there are any connector pieces I might have to design. This is exciting! :-D
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 am

Law wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 9:59 am
Already I see myself driven by OCD to try out (and endlessly photograph) a lot of basic tweaks:

Full castle with battlements vs. full castle with crenellations (which gives the towers a totally different profile, since with just crenellations the towers are basic cylinders but with battlements they have a full crown)

Full castle with towers with conical roofs instead of either of the above

GC with big towers in back vs. big towers in front

GC with big towers and small towers (also with big in back vs. big in front) vs. GC with 2 big towers and 2 basic corners (i.e. As it comes)

And so on....
No kidding! Lots of things can be built by moving around or stacking elements. You could have a lone tower in the wilderness. Or a military fort on the border of hostile territory. A college of war. A consecrated temple to the god(dess) of might. A summer palace. An imposing prison-fortress.

Darn. Now I'm going to have to buy a few add-ons from the DF store.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue May 02, 2017 9:59 am

I'm also realizing that I'm probably going to be subjecting people to a lot of "spot the difference" photos as I do minor variations on similar builds. (To be honest, this is one of the things that nagged at me about this campaign - true, there's a lot of variety possible - but a lot of it involves changing small things in essentially the same design...)

Already I see myself driven by OCD to try out (and endlessly photograph) a lot of basic tweaks:

Full castle with battlements vs. full castle with crenellations (which gives the towers a totally different profile, since with just crenellations the towers are basic cylinders but with battlements they have a full crown)

Full castle with towers with conical roofs instead of either of the above

GC with big towers in back vs. big towers in front

GC with big towers and small towers (also with big in back vs. big in front) vs. GC with 2 big towers and 2 basic corners (i.e. As it comes)

And so on....

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 am

Wow, thanks for the links! These videos have me SO EXCITED.

At the same time, with this KS, DF gets bigger and taller. Even a sprawling city that takes up a whole table is still ultimately a lot of small locations more than one big one - it's almost like a dungeon, with houses instead of rooms and roads instead of passages. And even large buildings in KS3 are still basically a bunch of smaller buildings interconnected. But now - now we're going to have, for the first time, one giant DF structure instead of a "map" and a lot of smaller locations. We'll have height and depth we haven't had before without kinda having to fake it. These castles don't look like a lot of little buildings dropped on top of each other to create the illusion of a larger building. They look like massive courtyards, towering walls, and impressive towers. I'm beyond psyched. So glad I went big.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue May 02, 2017 7:31 am

Great and informative videos can see me referring back to these a lot.
But DAMN! these Castles are BIG!
Really excited to get mine on my table - might need a bigger table ;)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Tue May 02, 2017 7:21 am

I liked Elye's videos as lot in castles. I think he is quite good at discussing the pieces and uses.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

JalanDa
Goblin
Goblin

Post by JalanDa » Tue May 02, 2017 4:38 am

that guy has the personality of a gnat