Painted Erinthor Mountains

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Painted Erinthor Mountains

Post by bernyleung » Mon May 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Awesome paint job! If I can do it half as well as you can, I shall be satisfied.

GODofwar
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GODofwar » Sun May 21, 2017 11:00 pm

I just consulted with the bulk of my players (2/4 campaigns, and there is a lot of overlap with the other two). They are actually anxious to do another painting session, probably two full days this time.

Who said slavery was a bad idea?

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Post by iPaint » Sat May 20, 2017 10:03 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 8:49 pm
Wow that is a lot of painting steps. I am sure I'll not do that many.
Makes all the difference in my opinion. Don't plan on selling these so why scrimp on the painting.

~iPaint

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat May 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Wow that is a lot of painting steps. I am sure I'll not do that many.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Blue Prophet
Orc
Orc

Post by Blue Prophet » Sat May 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks for the painting process breakdown iPaint. I like the coloring.

Since I still haven't even started painting my KS2 caverns, I'm torn about which direction to take. I prefer the brownish/tan look for limestone style caverns. However these (granite?) looking cliffs look better in greyer tones like you did. The plants growing in spots make it seem more mountainous too.

But I really want to be able to mix them with caverns which need more variety. So I may try to split the difference, make the mountains only a little bit more grey and have the green bits only faintly green so they would only look like slightly different rock underground.

I also must note that the little plants growing in cracks are as likely if not more to be in the bottom floors as up high on the vertical cliffs. I may have to greenstuff some in there.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sat May 20, 2017 7:35 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 6:50 pm
Those are really well done, man!

You've got me second guessing my plan to skip over the greenery because I want them to do double duty underground. Really does make the set pop though.
It can't be moss and lichen?... well, some of it?... it's a game of imagination, after all. :-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

geekjeff
Ogre
Ogre

Post by geekjeff » Sat May 20, 2017 6:50 pm

Those are really well done, man!

You've got me second guessing my plan to skip over the greenery because I want them to do double duty underground. Really does make the set pop though.

Kryzsko
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Kryzsko » Sat May 20, 2017 6:36 pm

Vallejo rust model wash works well for adding the rusty areas. I used it on my cavern pieces. Although iPaint's way obviously works well too. I love the whole line model washes from Vallejo.

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-VJ76506- ... B00AOL8HVO

iPaint
Orc
Orc

Post by iPaint » Sat May 20, 2017 2:54 pm

William wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 1:32 am
That is only half a set? Wow, nice coverage.
I always like every thing you paint, iPaint.
You have mad scientist skills!!!
Thanks for posting this picture, more please. :D
No, this is maybe 1/5 of a set, maybe 25 or so pieces. I had more painted but they're mostly the small rocks and L-shaped half height pieces, as well as the spire rocks and rocks with tree. I'm already seeing pieces I'd like as a small expansion, such as some more half-height and L-shaped pieces (think similar to one of the cavern floors with a sort of stepped rock formation on it).

The detail is really nice, and I'm already wishing I'd painted my caverns this rock color instead of the more earth-stone colored approach.
dreamlifter wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 12:30 am
nice touch with the grass affect. Is that something you formed into shape as a 3D application or is it just paint?
They're part of the sculpt.
GODofwar wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 1:26 am
HOw many hours did this piece take??!!

Very pleasing, iPaint.

The LEast Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
Maybe 4-5 hours all said and done for the 50 odd pieces I've got painted so far.

Thanks for all the other replies everyone.

Paint process:

Basecoat in 1:1 mix of Pokorny Base Grey and Earth Stone
Blotches of Vallejo 983 Flat Earth (paint matched in a sample paint container from Lowes - seriously, do this, it's cheaper than using the actual bottled Vallejo stuff and is a near-dead-on match)
Blotches of an "Oops" color from Lowes, probably a close match is Pokorny Cardboard. It's a brown-beige color similar in tone to the basecoat.

Drybrush the whole piece in Pokorny Olive Drybrush
Spot drybrush the following Golden acrylic paints in successive layers, getting lighter in application for each one:
N5 Neutral Grey
N7 Neutral Grey
Titan Buff

Spot wash the crevices in Golden Transparent Brown Iron Oxide, focusing on the areas with the flat earth tones and staining some of the drybrushed highlights.

Then paint the moss patches in much the same way - Vallejo 888 Olive Grey, 833 German Camo Bright Green, then probably a real light touch of 376 Buff mixed with a bit of 833.

Hope that helps.

~iPaint

Harneloot
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Harneloot » Sat May 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Fabulous paint job! I love how the small green tufts of grass/lichen really make the whole thing POP!

I wonder if my painted set (if it ever arrives! :evil: ) will look like that?!