Pre-KS6 Miniature Agitation Thread. I'm Not Kidding.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Pre-KS6 Miniature Agitation Thread. I'm Not Kidding.

Post by bernyleung » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:39 am

jackattack wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:17 am
And something forumites might want to weigh in on is whether they want peasant minis for low fantasy (ragged clothes, bare feet, underfed, unkempt, etc.) or high fantasy (clothes in good repair, shod, robust, neat, etc.).

Low fantasy might lend itself better to historical accuracy, but I myself prefer high fantasy.
We'll eventually need lots of both.

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:17 am

And something forumites might want to weigh in on is whether they want peasant minis for low fantasy (ragged clothes, bare feet, underfed, unkempt, etc.) or high fantasy (clothes in good repair, shod, robust, neat, etc.).

Low fantasy might lend itself better to historical accuracy, but I myself prefer high fantasy.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:11 am

Another thought on maximizing the versatility of some peasant minis is to be intentionally vague on some racial characteristics.

A tall, thin peasant with a hat (or hair) covering the ears might be a human, might be an elf.

A short, stout peasant with a full beard might be a human, might be a dwarf. (Especially in 25mm.)

A very short peasant might be a human child, might be a halfling or a gnome.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:35 am

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:47 am
I have found the trick is to paint two or three at a time. Kind of like assembly line, a la painting dungeon tiles. It averages out to an hour or two that way. I also use a color spray primer from Army Painter, barbarian flesh, as my base. That way skin tones I actually brush are just shadows and highlights. Of course for non humans, a different color spray primer. After the base is on, just a wash or two, a bit of drybrush, and a sealant. I'm not trying to win any contests. Table top quality is all I need. We are talking peasants, after all.
Great tip! I can use this.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:36 am

Arcarius2001, I like all the pictures you post, but why are all of them just labeled (image.)?
It makes them hard to save in any semblance of what they are referring to. My problem I guess.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Arcarius2001
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Arcarius2001 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:47 am

jackattack wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 am
An hour or two is slow?

By my standards, you're a figure-painting machine!
I have found the trick is to paint two or three at a time. Kind of like assembly line, a la painting dungeon tiles. It averages out to an hour or two that way. I also use a color spray primer from Army Painter, barbarian flesh, as my base. That way skin tones I actually brush are just shadows and highlights. Of course for non humans, a different color spray primer. After the base is on, just a wash or two, a bit of drybrush, and a sealant. I'm not trying to win any contests. Table top quality is all I need. We are talking peasants, after all.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (147.53 KiB) Viewed 2603 times

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:32 am

Furitive individuals involved in criminal acts would also be good. Pick pockets of all ages and someone climbing out of a widow with a bag of plunder. I love the pose of the climbing ratman from KS 3. You could do multiple races snd genders of clumbers. One can never have enough commoners fleeing in terror either. Basically I would be looking for painted miniatures that could serve as adventure hooks. Slack jawed commoners are not good hooks. A hurily abandoned camp sight/dungeon lair would be good too.

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:20 pm

A bump before I fly.

DWChancellor
Orc
Orc

Post by DWChancellor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:02 am

The upside of the 7' tall bar wench is that she's easier for the 40+ year old to paint... or those of us with shaky unhappy hands.

But yes, true 25mm!
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 am

An hour or two is slow?

By my standards, you're a figure-painting machine!