What Can We Improve for KS6?

Stormfury
Ogre
Ogre

Re: What Can We Improve for KS6?

Post by Stormfury » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Sfolivier wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:48 pm
This was my first pledge and I was surprised by the constantly changing addons and the reveals. I think I understand the driving force behind those but this essentially prevented me from pledging until the last minute. At times, I was wondering whether I was shopping or playing a strategy game. Stabilizing the campaign earlier would have made it more attractive to me.
Welcome and we appreciate your feedback! I personally would prefer all the add-on packs be revealed up front, even if they have set $ amounts to unlock them. This gives people something to look forward to and a reason to pledge earlier rather than later.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:57 pm

For KSVI change the SG strategy so that everyone proportionally benefits via increased revenue.

Restructure how "rare" pieces are sold so that anyone could could conceivably buy any piece without having to buy a large set of other pieces. For KSIV I am talking about the thrones and the capstones for KSVI.

And finally offer moats. ;-)
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Sfoliver - welcome to the forums!

your input is a crucial insight into the new pledger experince

i laughed at the pledging metagame - it really is a whole tactical combat all it's own
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Sfolivier
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Sfolivier » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:48 pm

This was my first pledge and I was surprised by the constantly changing addons and the reveals. I think I understand the driving force behind those but this essentially prevented me from pledging until the last minute. At times, I was wondering whether I was shopping or playing a strategy game. Stabilizing the campaign earlier would have made it more attractive to me.

More examples of "simple" builds would have probably helped beginners. Showing people how much they can do with smaller sets could help bring newbies in (as opposed to focusing on ever expanding the scope of the campaign). Huge variety is great but some people might think that it's impossible to get into Dwarven Forge because they feel they need more than what they do to have tons of fun and already change their gaming experience.

Sfolivier
Kobold
Kobold

Post by Sfolivier » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:48 pm

More examples of "simple" builds would have probably helped beginners. Showing people how much they can do with smaller sets could help bring newbies in (as opposed to focusing on ever expanding the scope of the campaign). Huge variety is great but some people might think that it's impossible to get into Dwarven Forge because they feel they need more than what they do to have tons of fun and already change their gaming experience.

Stormfury
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Stormfury » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:44 pm

koraldon wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:56 pm
kitenerd wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:45 pm
It is hard to reign in creativity and i know there are a LOT of good ideas in Valoria, but DF really needs to make an effort to limit scope.

Most backers come with a budget. Most of us go over. But the fact is if you introduce 75 new sculpts and i drop $1,000 you will make more money than if you introduce 150 new sculpts and i drop $1,000.
+1
Right now there is a lot to catch up from older sets. I know that I have enough stuff from KS3 & KS5 I still want to buy.

In addition, the classic core was brilliant, allowing new backers to add the "regular" dungeon.
I don't think this point can be re-iterated enough. A lot of us were struggling with the fact that we'd have to shell out 3-4k to get all the cool new unique pieces. Many of us are still trying to complete our Castles and even some CBS sets. Now that KS V is finished instead of thinking about adding those Castle/CBS add-ons/sets I missed or want more of, I feel I must save save SAVE for 2018's KS. In the end you still get money from us, but your breaking our souls with each missed opportunity turning something that used to be fun and very exciting into something of disappointment. Don't get me wrong, we love that you guys are so creative and passionate. We just can't all keep up and at some point when I can only get 20-30% of it I question getting any at all.

Additionally, I don't see the point in having so many sculpts when a several were made incredibly hard to acquire. A lot of folks wanted the encounter locked monsters, but most of us cannot afford the 'dungeon of doom tier'. Tons of stretch goals only show up in 1 or 2 packages. Similarly the Corner Secret Door only shows up in 4 sets! Meaning that anyone wanting to acquire that piece who had original KS 1 pieces had to acquire a ton of Columned Walls/corners to get a single Corner Secret Door. I love this piece, but spending $54/60+ for a single piece....

If the piece is going to be that exclusive, why bother spending the money on the mold? You'd make more tossing in an actual Corner Door than creating a mold for so few packages.
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Xeno Syncretic Order - Salvation Through Unity

Lutharia89
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Lutharia89 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:35 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:22 pm
I can't do this every year at this level; I know this was by far the highest grossing kickstarter, but my wife is going to KILL me for choosing the DoD pledge. I talked to her about the amount earlier in the campaign and her jaw dropped. She said I was "ok" to do it but I told her castles were a "once" thing and now it's turned into at least a "twice" thing. I know it's gonna be a lot of yard work and dates and flowers and cookies, etc. to get back in the right with her. :)

Seriously though, if DF was looking to increase the # of backers I think you did ok but could have done better. Look through comment boards with KS1 and KS2. Everyone was talking about how good of a deal it is and "I've never tried DF before but it's now at a price point I can!" Starting with KS3 the tone shifted back to what it was before the kickstarters of "DF is too expensive for me." I think you found a sweet spot in this kickstarter for raising money, but if raising BACKERS was your intention, I think you had a gain but not a slam dunk in that category (like you did in $). In the end it's a business though, so I guess you did ok in the end.

I would stick to two environments per KS. I think that would work for me. The scope has increased tremendously and it worries me that should one KS become a dud (which at some point it may happen) the costs involved with such scope may cause the company to lose money or be unable to fulfill. I mean how much did you REALLY have to make to break even on this campaign? It wasn't $100k. I know Stefan was really concerned about Castles and the original pledge totals being at a point where he was afraid he would have to put in his inheritance money to keep the promise to the backers. Is that REALLY an option we want as fans? Take Stefan's family/retirement money so we can get toys and he potentially struggles financially because of it? I know I don't. I think DF should plan the kickstarters in a way that if something doesn't resonate, they will still be ok. If this kickstarter had followed trends and we had less backers and less $, then what would have happened? If we had only raised $1.4M or something would we still be getting our stuff? Virtually all of the sculpts (save the temple and the burrows) were available to pledge for on day one, so the molds HAD to be made.
You make killer points AnimeSensei. I think a KS VI as a filler/smaller 1 to 2 area campaign would not only relieve some strain on the DF team, but our wallets and relationships with the wives as well.

DF always has to stay ahead of the curve and keep ahead of the less impressive, albeit cheaper, 3D printed terrain making its way to the market more and more each week.

I think a smaller, one off Poly-Resin Campaign might be in order. Maybe make the Cata3 or a RotA3 set as a 1 time shebang and let the team rest a wee bit, or at least work on another, slightly larger campaign. I would definately be behind that!
Welcome Home.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:22 pm

I can't do this every year at this level; I know this was by far the highest grossing kickstarter, but my wife is going to KILL me for choosing the DoD pledge. I talked to her about the amount earlier in the campaign and her jaw dropped. She said I was "ok" to do it but I told her castles were a "once" thing and now it's turned into at least a "twice" thing. I know it's gonna be a lot of yard work and dates and flowers and cookies, etc. to get back in the right with her. :)

Seriously though, if DF was looking to increase the # of backers I think you did ok but could have done better. Look through comment boards with KS1 and KS2. Everyone was talking about how good of a deal it is and "I've never tried DF before but it's now at a price point I can!" Starting with KS3 the tone shifted back to what it was before the kickstarters of "DF is too expensive for me." I think you found a sweet spot in this kickstarter for raising money, but if raising BACKERS was your intention, I think you had a gain but not a slam dunk in that category (like you did in $). In the end it's a business though, so I guess you did ok in the end.

I would stick to two environments per KS. I think that would work for me. The scope has increased tremendously and it worries me that should one KS become a dud (which at some point it may happen) the costs involved with such scope may cause the company to lose money or be unable to fulfill. I mean how much did you REALLY have to make to break even on this campaign? It wasn't $100k. I know Stefan was really concerned about Castles and the original pledge totals being at a point where he was afraid he would have to put in his inheritance money to keep the promise to the backers. Is that REALLY an option we want as fans? Take Stefan's family/retirement money so we can get toys and he potentially struggles financially because of it? I know I don't. I think DF should plan the kickstarters in a way that if something doesn't resonate, they will still be ok. If this kickstarter had followed trends and we had less backers and less $, then what would have happened? If we had only raised $1.4M or something would we still be getting our stuff? Virtually all of the sculpts (save the temple and the burrows) were available to pledge for on day one, so the molds HAD to be made.
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GattoNero25
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GattoNero25 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:01 pm

+1

Lutharia89
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Lutharia89 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:00 pm

Honestly, a class act! Little I would make different.

Some knit picky things:
1) Have a routine in place when providing Updates/Reveals. While most of the updates came at night (For those of us in the States), the Add-ons & reveals happened more sporadically throughout the day (or at least felt that way). Having more of a set schedule, even if just within the range of an hour, boosts focus and awareness!

2) Broadcast Social Goals Sooner. No time like the present! We would be able to generate even more buzz and support via these social goals that come out sooner. If you also have an evolving Social element it will keep momentum and awareness more, IMHO.

3) Don't have doubts. I believe someone said yesterday that the team thought we would only hit 2 million, and because of this you shuffled SGs around which made things a little Top Tier heavy at the end. I think you can leave things as they are and if we are looking like we won't hit a Capstone, make a larger reveal to entice us! We've got your back.

4) Riding on #3's coattails, plan big! Not that you don't already, but if you had a potential plan to 4million, even if it was just an extra set of doors, CAGES, or a chair, it gives us as backers more to push towards and strive for! I think if we had a 3.1 goal, we could have potentially hit it yesterday.

5) Bring back the pledge level to game with you guys! Maybe make it a convention thing, like: $5k is the top tier PLUS a ticket to play a game DMed by Stefan or Nate. It wouldn't be for everyone and it would be a one off thing, but it is a nice incentive and I am sure people would love the bragging rights.

That's all I have for now. Thanks so much!
Welcome Home.

Return to “Kickstarter 5 Discussion”