What Can We Improve for KS6?

Runeweaver
Ogre
Ogre

Re: What Can We Improve for KS6?

Post by Runeweaver » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:21 pm

I will join the fray, limited scope please.

Also, I am a veteranised DF customer. This means that I have a lot of pieces. If we continue to do kick starters of this magnitude, I will run out of room to store all of it. I have a war room dedicated to DF, and I am running out of space. Will I continue to purchase? Yes, but in smaller amounts. This time around I didn't purchase the largest pledge. That's new for me. Simply put, I can't keep up even though I love the product.

1-2 themes, and that is all.

I absolutely love the burrows (I will be referencing them as warrens in my party group), and the Jade Ssysuul is just tear-to-the-eye beautiful. These two by themselves are awesome.

I think the idea of smaller KS with RotA new sets (not same, new sculpts) or catacombs is genius.

All that said, the encounters were a great way of presenting the product.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:17 pm

Big, much, awesome, small, cool, far reaching ... whatever.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:15 pm

Are you saying the KS's are just too...(fill in your own word). I agree. ;)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:06 pm

To period3's point I prefer magnets to LEDS if its a premium piece. I use them more. I like both but I prefer one.

Btw I sense a common theme of scope.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

agro23
Goblin
Goblin

Post by agro23 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:00 pm

More beans. Fewer offerings. (150 is a lot of pieces!) More focus on a single theme.

I like the temple and the burrows but they could have been the basis for their own kickstarters. The forsaken temple could have been part of revisiting CBS with temple exteriors as well; maybe a full ziggurat, soaring columns, arches, carved roof faces, domes, more spires, etc. The burrows could have been part of revisiting caverns or even a new set of outdoor terrain including trees and hill pieces.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:49 pm

1) Make it a bit easier for middle-pledgers in the $1000-$1500 range. At the high end, you have DoD as the obvious choice. At the low end, the number of options is limited so it's fairly easy to pick. At $1000-$1500, it's really difficult.

I'd have liked to have seen a $1000-$1500 DoD lite pledge. The entire DoD, but scaled down. e.g. instead of the temple being three giant rooms, maybe it's just one. Instead of 12 encounters before the lava bridge, maybe it's 6 or 7. The lava bridge might be simpler without so many LED bits and less walls. As it stands, the only way to get something like this is via a lot of add-ons, which don't get any stretch goals. I don't know if I'd go for the DoD lite, since I prefer open areas, but I'd definitely consider it and I think it would help a lot of mid level backers.

2) Make it cheaper. I wouldn't say this except it seems to me that if you drop all these a la carte add-ons and limit the scope, you'll have far fewer molds and SKUs, and can past those cost savings on to the customer.

3) Fewer LEDs. I like LEDs, but the number offered in some sets is a bit excessive. e.g. I think lava bridge had >40. I need to worry about and check all those batteries for leaking as I store them over the years.

4) More pictures. Videos are fine, but for the majority of the campaign the photo album had the same handful of photos in it. The encounters had low resolution that couldn't be seen well.

fstkfstk
Orc
Orc

Post by fstkfstk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:36 pm

KS5.5 Miniatures would be a great improvement since it could thematically "link" to its major (or succeeding major) KS without being cut out due to budgeting. Stand or sink on its own merits. Miniature lines really are a separate business. More Commoners! Restock Commoners!
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

bernyleung
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by bernyleung » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:31 pm

I think the SG system needs to be overhauled. I was an encounter backer, so I will get many, but I feel that add-on people who spent at least as much as me got shafted. SG should not be integral to an encounter or that defeats the entire encounter if the goal is not reached. I like the idea of SG packs and I think it simplifies the reward distribution.

I'm still holding out some hope for KS 5.5 being some preprinted commoner minis.

kmj9907
Orc
Orc

Post by kmj9907 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Fewer molds, but providing core pieces as SGs was undoubtedly a big factor in the backer numbers from KS1 and 2; maybe there can be a happy compromise.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:42 pm

I wasn't saying lets have 3 KS's in a year, that defeats my reasoning of these KS's are just too big. I meant once a year but smaller scale so we can buy more of each piece molded. Also SG's at this point are meaningless to me, they seem to be what was planned from the get go. I liked the SG's that were more of the basic tiles, like in KS1 and KS2. Cheaper to make (mold is already funded) and quite a boost to the overall pledge level. I'm thinking less molds for greater profitability, then move on to the next year...
I can't even consider buying from the store anymore, because my budget has been blown on the one KS. I'm probably passing ($10 pledge) on this year, so I can go get some CBS and Castle stuff in the store. I don't like that I have to pass, but that's the reality of the average low wage (fixed income) earner. I will probably get the double door pack only from this KS and that hurts immensely, because I love it all.