Best Kickstarter

Oldent
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Best Kickstarter

Post by Oldent » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:43 am

I have most of the Grenadier figures painted. They are on the small side. Some of the original sets will fetch a good price. I like the new box art.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:43 am

Grenadier KS is magic

Thanks for the heads up
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm looking at the KS Grenadier recastings even as we speak....

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:04 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:35 am
Kickstarter says you can't use them for existing products. Launching a kickstarter for a $100 set with a $3,600 DoD add-on may be a big red flag on their radar.
Not true. I just got my Gloomhaven (second printing) and that KS brought in almost 4 million dollars.

What the rules say:
You “can’t share things that already exist” (meaning have already been manufactured) without adding something new. This is just saying you can’t do a KS to try and clear out your warehouse of stuff you already made but you can if you just add a little something new.

The other rule is “rewards must be produced or designed by the project or one of its creators” meaning I could not offer a bag Cheetos to every person who backs my project because I am not the creator of Cheetos.

There have been several KS that have funded second printings and they say it right in the title.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:35 am

Kickstarter says you can't use them for existing products. Launching a kickstarter for a $100 set with a $3,600 DoD add-on may be a big red flag on their radar.
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:03 am

I think there are some good points here. KSV had some remastered KSI pieces in it, and I assume KSVI will also remaster some KSII pieces. It was not much this time around, but perhaps as time goes by there will be more and more old stuff and less new. I can support that, and it is great for new customers.

I do still see retail going strong though, but maybe it will be more important later. DF did well for a decade without KS.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:39 am

From a modern niche RPG small business stand point I do not ever see DF not doing KS each year. If they do not keep in people's minds then people will just spend their money some where else. I expect that about KS10 we will start to see very small KS, perhaps the size of all the catacombs or den of evil stuff in one KS. These yearly KS will be used in conjunction with restocking the store with popular items to meet the factories minimum order. Compatibility with older lines but still bring something new and exciting will be the focus of these future KS IMO.

This is all based on the idea that RPGs and it's terrain will not hugely change over the next five years, which I do not expect.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:11 am

What is the future of Dwarven Forge Kickstarter?

I think what might work well once DF has done all the major environments is doing a yearly re-release KS with maybe a small new set or two.

Maybe even get away from restocking the store altogether between KSs and have people get their stuff from re-release KSs. So after a re-release KS, the DF store would have a small supply in the online store, but once it was gone it would be gone until that theme rolled around again.

I know this sounds crazy but this is how I could see it working.

Why build a whole new dungeon the next time DF wants to do dungeons? Just re-release the DoD with maybe a couple new add-ons. DF should not need to raise as much money as they don't have to create as many new molds, and new people can get the DoD stuff and longtime collectors can get stuff they missed out on and stuff they wanted more of. This would also minimize how much stuff DF would need to store.

I just don't see how the current model is sustainable beyond a couple more years. We have already gone back to the dungeon and cavern well and that is cool but what next year? Outdoors/wood elves/fae set? That would be cool but it ain't going to be as popular as dungeons or caverns. My guess is it would be in the city/castle level of popularity. Then what? Sci-fi? Back to cities? At some point they mostly have everything covered.

I don't know. Just crazy food for thought about where Dwarven Forge goes in the future.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:22 am

One issue touched on here - well in fact there are two - contradicting ourselves already!

Due to DF now revisiting encounter areas - dungeons Caverns etc then a lot of their older backers will have a lot from previous KS and so are only looking to compliment their existing sets. So they change from whales to fish (of various varieties)

So this shows that DF to maintain the level of monetary support will need new blood.

To compound this issue is the second issue of hitting the saturation point which to us means not been able to store a new DoD's amount of pieces every year and so have to cut down on new DF purchases. Again turning those whales into smaller fish

Not convinced that its a vicious circle of Kickstarters - in that once a mold is made then its made - it does not go away and any sales of pieces from that mold are much cheaper for DF to make. DF don't need to keep producing massive KSers to stay in business, but it certainly helps grow the business as it pays for all those expensive molds and while they prove cost effective then why not :)

Not going into DF making molds for low yield pieces as that is down to their creative needs measured against fiscal ones and if they ever just focus on fiscal ones then the magic is lost (just our opinion).

The job of the KS is to raise enough money to pay for the molds and what they produce and pay for the KS costs (sculpting, support etc) they may make some profit - if so good on them as long as we get what we want at a price we are prepared to pay.

But once the mold is made then profit per piece ratchets up to cover the everyday costs of running DF 24/7 and keeps DF in business - yay!

Bottom line - new blood is essential so smaller buy-in pledge levels where new backers can dip their toe in so to speak are critical
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:29 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:13 pm
kodiakbear wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Yes, like any hobby it all normally starts slow then grows to levels that are either epic or out of control.
I dunno. Seems like there were some new folks getting DoD last time ......
It does not surprise me, but I would not expect that number to be equal to the number of new DF pledgers/customers who went smaller. If more new DF pledgers/customers went DoD big than smaller then KS5 did even better than I thought.