Dwarvenite material safe for kids?

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Dwarvenite material safe for kids?

Post by Rabbit Burner » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:02 am

William wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:21 pm
My parents had me playing Dominoes very early (great for counting dice pips) and Bridge by 12. Although that didn't last long, none of my friends understood how to bid a hand. Anyway I should say I don't have children, but heavily challenge their minds while keeping it entertaining. Teach a child how to think, not what to think and they should come out fine and make you proud as a parent.

Good luck all you parents out there, hang in there it's the most worrisome job on planet Earth and I'm proud of you for procreating. That is all but those rabbits, they can't seem to cool their britches. It's one fluffle after another ;)
Oi!!!!!!!

But in the real world we have two kids one of each neither are interested in sports which is a little disappointing as sports is what I love to do and watch but the wife does not do sports either, so should have seen that coming.

We monitor what the kids watch and do on Tablets, PCs and watch on TV. Encourage non electronic activities. Both children are on the Autistic spectrum but at either end, so makes life interesting and really difficult to find some common ground they are both interested in.

One thing they do enjoy is making up stories with my minis and terrain, they don't generally agree on what the story should be, so I get to play referee/narrator/DM ;)

No TV, laptops or tablets in bedrooms and phones are only used for audio stories and music.

We both kind of want to restrict the time spent on the electronics especially the video watching, but cannot deny their engagement in what they are watching - is so funny to watch my daughter watching you tube, she generates enough energy to power the village.

We feel as long as we make sure school work is done and they want to go to school then their happiness is of prime concern.

I feel I turned out alright (weird arsed Rabbit based stories aside) I wanted to watch TV and play computer games all the time. I played Football (or soccer to the uncouth colonials) in the backyard for hours so trying to encourage the kids to do something active - turns out a trampoline was the answer :)

Agree with the overall sentiment that aside from abuse (mental and physical) there is no right or wrong way, just different ways. Whilst our children have issues (one is autistic and the other hyperactive) and can be 'difficult' they are most certainly have character, and we will take that :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:21 pm

My parents had me playing Dominoes very early (great for counting dice pips) and Bridge by 12. Although that didn't last long, none of my friends understood how to bid a hand. Anyway I should say I don't have children, but heavily challenge their minds while keeping it entertaining. Teach a child how to think, not what to think and they should come out fine and make you proud as a parent.

Good luck all you parents out there, hang in there it's the most worrisome job on planet Earth and I'm proud of you for procreating. That is all but those rabbits, they can't seem to cool their britches. It's one fluffle after another ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:13 pm

Kryzsko wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 pm
Oh, and play tabletop games with your kids. Dang, I said I would not tell anyone how to raise their kids :( , but I think tabletop games are good for kids and at least my son loves them. There are a lot of fun coop games now that even young kids can play with you. Yes, he plays with my Dwarven Forge and even the resin stuff.
I actually used to force my lieutenants to play an RPG occasionally. Why? The military encourages creative thinking (which may surprise y'all) but the regimented nature of training to a doctrine is countered by thinking in an environment where even the laws of nature can't be assumed.

Things in combat are never what you expect. Two famous quotes:
"No plan of battle ever survives first contact with the enemy." (von Molkte the Elder)

Upon one of his lieutanants arriving in haste and breathlessly informing him that the other side had not done what their plan anticipated, Flavius Belisarius reported made this dry response: "That is why we call them the 'enemy'!"

The Least Weasel
Totus KS Delenda Sunt, except KS5
WeaselWarGod

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Oh, and play tabletop games with your kids. Dang, I said I would not tell anyone how to raise their kids :( , but I think tabletop games are good for kids and at least my son loves them. There are a lot of fun coop games now that even young kids can play with you. Yes, he plays with my Dwarven Forge and even the resin stuff.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:00 pm

LordDust wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:36 am
There is actually pretty compelling research that shows the way especially young brains wire themselves is impacted by their environment. Television uses rapid transitions without a clear connection between them often, which seems to help wire brains in a fashion that makes them more prone to attention deficit disorder. Essentially, the brain gets set up to expect the world to be jumpy quick transitions. This causes problems with a number of functions, including time awareness, concentration, and to a lesser extent causality. The recommendations from several studies strongly encourage avoiding all screen time for children until they are at least three or four and limiting it after that. Anecdotally, I have also noticed that my seven year old gets moodier and has worse concentration if I let her watch more than one or two of the weird Youtube videos she likes.

Also, as TLW cites, there are studies that show that most television consumption causes the brain waves to assume a pattern similar to sleep without the benefits of sleep. Some programming does manage to engage the mind and encourage thought, but most does as mentioned above. This doesn't mean TV is inherently harmful, but it does seem to suggest moderation is in order.

Lastly, a note about TVs in bedrooms: the less you do other than sleeping there the better for your sleep quality according to several studies. There are no TVs in any bedroom in my home. My wife had to get used to that, she was one of those that used to use a TV for white noise when she slept. She noticed an improvement in her energy and "restedness" once she got used to not having a TV in the room. We now use a white noise machine that makes the sound of rain.
Yep, I agree completely. We have no TV in our bedroom, although I do read on my iPad in bed (often this forum :D ) and I have no trouble falling asleep (not saying the forum puts me to sleep). Laying down and reading puts me to sleep even on a screen.

I particularly don't like shows for my son with a lot of quick cuts or hyperactive characters. We did the no TV until 3 thing, and then we went with mostly educational videos. I do highly recommend the Preschool Pre line of videos. My son went to Kindergarten knowing his "sight words" through 1st grade thanks to those. Also, the Rock n Learn videos were good too.

Then again we have friends that let their kids watch a TON of TV and their kids are all good well-adjusted kids so what do I know. I just do what makes sense to me and I think that is the best we all can do.

I think one of the best things you can do is get your kids outside and be active with them. We are a big biking, hiking, swimming, and tent camping family.

Again I will never tell anyone (outside of abuse and neglect) how to raise their kids. Good luck to us all as we try and make educated decisions.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:36 am

There is actually pretty compelling research that shows the way especially young brains wire themselves is impacted by their environment. Television uses rapid transitions without a clear connection between them often, which seems to help wire brains in a fashion that makes them more prone to attention deficit disorder. Essentially, the brain gets set up to expect the world to be jumpy quick transitions. This causes problems with a number of functions, including time awareness, concentration, and to a lesser extent causality. The recommendations from several studies strongly encourage avoiding all screen time for children until they are at least three or four and limiting it after that. Anecdotally, I have also noticed that my seven year old gets moodier and has worse concentration if I let her watch more than one or two of the weird Youtube videos she likes.

Also, as TLW cites, there are studies that show that most television consumption causes the brain waves to assume a pattern similar to sleep without the benefits of sleep. Some programming does manage to engage the mind and encourage thought, but most does as mentioned above. This doesn't mean TV is inherently harmful, but it does seem to suggest moderation is in order.

Lastly, a note about TVs in bedrooms: the less you do other than sleeping there the better for your sleep quality according to several studies. There are no TVs in any bedroom in my home. My wife had to get used to that, she was one of those that used to use a TV for white noise when she slept. She noticed an improvement in her energy and "restedness" once she got used to not having a TV in the room. We now use a white noise machine that makes the sound of rain.

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:17 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 pm
I let my kids watch more Netflix than I know I should, but I will NEVER let my kids have TVs or computers in their rooms. I like knowing what my kids consume (or at least pretend I do).
Ya, and I like being able to watch and play the stuff with my son. That way we can talk about it. We have been working our way through Planet Earth II on Netflix and it is great. I am actually more concerned about when my son is old enough for a phone. I don't want him being obsessed with his phone. At least you can't stare TV all day. Oh well, I will cross that bridge when it comes.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:48 pm

I let my kids watch more Netflix than I know I should, but I will NEVER let my kids have TVs or computers in their rooms. I like knowing what my kids consume (or at least pretend I do).
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Kryzsko
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Kryzsko » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:23 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:23 pm
KIds are very hard to damage, else few would survive physically/psychologically to maturity.

We chose the no-tv /c of data showing the brain is less active watching TV than sleeping, among many other reasons!

The Least Weasel
Yep, same here. I totally get it. I think the lack of TV makes them more creative. We are not quite no TV but we are very little TV or screen time. My son mostly chooses video games for his small allotment of screen time. It amazes me how many people let their kids have TVs/iPads/video games in their bedroom. To each his own.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:23 pm

KIds are very hard to damage, else few would survive physically/psychologically to maturity.

We chose the no-tv /c of data showing the brain is less active watching TV than sleeping, among many other reasons!

The Least Weasel
WeaselWarGod