My Turn: Dungeon of Doom Experiments

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: My Turn: Dungeon of Doom Experiments

Post by Law » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am

Good point, I should have clarified that. This opens up a lot.

Also - is that a dungeon made to match the mini dungeon?!??

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:04 am

Law wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:26 am
...I can't use a passage wall to replace a regular wall unless I do a whole room that way...
Actually, you don't have to do the whole room that way, only one wall of the room (see below for example). Mixing and matching passage and regular walls has a lot of potential for interesting layouts. Makes my head spin a little...

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:57 am

Yup. And I find that because I'm using the vaulted walls a lot (they're new!) I don't share walls as often now - which means I do use passages to connect rooms.

Once I start integrating KS1 tiles I'll probably use the passages a lot less. For now those are all still packed up - to simplify my use of the new stuff and minimize what's out.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:47 am

I only got one set of the old passage or corridor sets and I found them not very useful as they could only go between rooms as the footprint was different. I can see that happening with passage walls, but at least an all passage wall room is a possibility.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:26 am

It's fun! A little more complex than with the KS1/resin stuff, but nowhere near as involved as city or castle building.

One thing I keep forgetting is that I can't use a passage wall to replace a regular wall unless I do a whole room that way. I'll run low on walls and try to fill a gap with one, only to realize that it looks odd being the only wall on the other side of a floor tile. The design of the acid bath threw me off - these are passage walls, not room walls, and they don't have the same footprint as regular room walls. But since acid bath (and some other encounters) use them as room walls, it makes me forget.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:18 am

Sounds like an interesting time, adjusting your building style

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 am

Awesome stuff! I agree with all your comments and your general approach - I'm also planning to mix up the KS1 tiles with these, for a dungeon that has some ornate rooms and some less so.

It took me until I had it in-hand to recognize that DoD won't lend itself to my normal style of build, which is to share almost all walls. I don't normally use passages to connect isolated rooms - my rooms are all connected, with zero table space showing within a layout. That's fine with old school DF, but since vaulted walls only have columns on one side, it could quickly lead to some awkward asymmetry here. A room built off the back of a DoD room will have one wall, at least, with no columns.

I'm going to play around with it. Rooms with columns on only one wall could be cool. Or I could just mix in my KS1 accordingly, building out "normal" rooms around the backs of DoD becolumned rooms.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:18 am

My son has a bunch of those smartphone controlled color-changing Hue lights. He has great fun pranking people with them. I bet everyone who comes by our house wonders why his windows are glowing purple most nights.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:11 am

Thanks for the pictures, GDM, nice review.
But, now I have to decide which folder to drop these in. e.b. or make a new folder???
dice4hire wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:49 am
...The different lights really change things up.
I was into up-lights and such when I set up my first place after I left Mom and Dad's.
Lighting is a great mood setter, ask all those non-existent dates I had in the early eighties. ;)

I think I was ahead of my time or maybe it was behind, who knows? Still, no dates... :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:49 am

Nice pics and setups. The different lights really change things up.