Gen Con and "DF by the pound"

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Gen Con and "DF by the pound"

Post by kitenerd » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:35 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:23 pm
Sound like a great way to get some DF wish I could make it there. Maybe one day. What DF should do is a blind grab bag of DF now that would be fun :D
This is a great idea - put a price on it - $10 for three dwarvenite ($15 painted) and maybe $20 for 3 resin??? - wouldn't be cheap, but it would be fun! They could get rid of odds and ends of dead stock and some of us would get treaure. (i can see the posts now, everyone listing what they got... "i got a floor grate, a door and a stair jack!" "aww, i only got a floor, a wall and a stalagmite")

One per purchase from the store - even if it was for a limited time it would prompt me to order something - i LOVE the random grab bag
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:23 pm

Sound like a great way to get some DF wish I could make it there. Maybe one day. What DF should do is a blind grab bag of DF now that would be fun :D

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:27 am

When I was there last year there were two options, "buy the pound" or "by the piece" I do not remember the exact totals so I cannot calculate it out, but the people at the booth did recommend buying some pieces by the pound and others by the piece.

I checked in at the booth several times the one day I was there and saw lots of KSI, a good amount of KSII, not much KSIIII and virtually no KSIV. I think the chance for KSV to be there is zero, as the pieces mostly come from sets they have had to break open for whatever reason, usually replacement parts. KSV has had no retail or replacement pieces yet. But that is just my take on the situation.

I really enjoyed it and got some good pieces to help out my collection.
Attachments
Gencon by the pound__.jpg
Gencon by the pound__.jpg (70.09 KiB) Viewed 1544 times
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

koraldon
Goblin
Goblin

Post by koraldon » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:16 am

Note that the price is excellent for the small / special pieces - I got some doors, LEDs, mushrooms and such.
But at my first go I also snagged corners and walls, which are a worst price than just buying at the store, since they are heavy. So I suggest to avoid those unless there is some specific you need.

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:58 pm

It has varied over the years. Painted vs. unpainted has been 50/50 to much more heavily favoring unpainted. The mix usually favors the immediately previous KS, but this year that seems less likely (though I could be wrong). Also, the year for castles seemed to have less of the castle stuff in it than I would have thought. I would guess since the pieces tend to be larger?

Also, I do not recall seeing much of the miniatures in the bins either, more the terrain. There have been magnetic and LED pieces as well, though those usually go as soon as someone sees them. The KS5 pieces may be present to an extent, I'm just not sure how much will be in the mix.

Archimagus
Orc
Orc

Post by Archimagus » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:15 pm

szabbran wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:19 pm
Hi all,
Not sure if there's a better place to ask this, but I've heard a lot about being able to buy miscellaneous DF pieces by the pound at the DF table, and had a few questions about it:
  • Are the pieces there painted? Unpainted? Both?
  • Do they tend to be any particular sets or types of pieces? (i.e. only Dungeon, caverns, CBS? or only floors/walls?)
  • Is there an adventurer's chance in the DOD that any KS5 pieces will make their way into the pile?
I'm not able to make it myself in the foreseeable future unfortunately, but depending on the answers to the questions above, would love to work with any friendly and enterprising GenCon-travellers to grab a few odds and ends that I've been meaning to get a hold of if they happen to be available!

If you have any of the info above, or if you're going to the con and would be willing to look out for a few pieces and possibly pick them up, would love to hear from you.
Both but mostly unpainted.
All sets but more heavy on KS1 and 2 (it is the most popular).

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Gen Con and "DF by the pound"

Post by szabbran » Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Hi all,
Not sure if there's a better place to ask this, but I've heard a lot about being able to buy miscellaneous DF pieces by the pound at the DF table, and had a few questions about it:
  • Are the pieces there painted? Unpainted? Both?
  • Do they tend to be any particular sets or types of pieces? (i.e. only Dungeon, caverns, CBS? or only floors/walls?)
  • Is there an adventurer's chance in the DOD that any KS5 pieces will make their way into the pile?
I'm not able to make it myself in the foreseeable future unfortunately, but depending on the answers to the questions above, would love to work with any friendly and enterprising GenCon-travellers to grab a few odds and ends that I've been meaning to get a hold of if they happen to be available!

If you have any of the info above, or if you're going to the con and would be willing to look out for a few pieces and possibly pick them up, would love to hear from you.

Return to “Dwarven Forge News”