KS7 Forces of Nature way to soon discussion

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS7 Forces of Nature way to soon discussion

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:24 pm

We think we will see trees where the canopies can be removed for a winter/dead forest effect. Faerie trees, split trunk trees, ye old 300 year old gnarly oak, Wyrd trees.
More scatter sculpts - dead logs, rock, piles, Ant hills.
Would like to see LoTR style big cliff face carvings and lost temples all overgrown. so Monster nests etc

Also CBS expansion - lean too roofs, wood cabin, planks. Shop frontages with scatter wares - boxes of apples, gourds of wine etc

Be interesting if they go more primitive with round huts and triangular Nordic buildings or even ancient classic inspired themes Greek, Egyptian, Mayan etc

Would like to see some bigger buildings, Temples, churches/cathedrals, Coliseum.

We do know one thing whatever they do will be damn good :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:22 pm

William wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:11 pm
I agree KB (Don't abandon CBS), but I would also love to modernize something from further back, the MBS system.
It's great for interior play, I would say even better. ;)
A Dwarvenite MBS update is exactly what I want.

In the meantime, I’ll probably pick up a bit of MBS in resin. I took a little bite with Catacombs, and I’m afraid I’ve been hooked.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:11 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:58 pm
Riley wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:07 pm
I don’t want any more CBS.

Magnetic tiles and small terrain trays would make much more interesting and varied buildings.
While I am not a super in love fan boy of CBS I really do not want to see DF abandon another system for the new flavor of the moment.
I agree KB (Don't abandon CBS), but I would also love to modernize something from further back, the MBS system.
It's great for interior play, I would say even better. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:58 pm

Riley wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Magnetic tiles and small terrain trays would make much more interesting and varied buildings.
While I am not a super in love fan boy of CBS I really do not want to see DF abandon another system for the new flavor of the moment.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:53 pm

When I started the discussion, I was thinking of DF using portals to jump from one encounter or group of encounters to another to explain why a KS7 nature adventure was involved in so many diverse wilderness environments.

But another option that has been discussed is what I will call the It's All Downhill from Here adventure.

By starting the adventure at a high elevation, DF could do new alpine trees, bare-branched trees and new forest ground tiles along with new mountain tiles for a couple of alpine encounters. Perhaps berserker tribesmen come off the mountain and attack. Once these Thor wantabees are dispatched the party finds the item they seek behind a hidden entrance in one of the mountain tiles. As they move off the mountain into the alpine forest, they find that the smell of blood has attracted hungry winter wolves and battle ensues. The party can fight on the ground or move into the trees or move back to the mountain. Those that are left move down to the barren forest to see what is left in the wolf’s underground den.

From there they travel and come to a forest of trees in early autumn colors surrounding a farm at harvest time. The farmer has a problem; the local anhkhegs have never been an issue, but just in the last few days they have killed half of his sheep and goats. As the party sleeps they are woken by a ghostly shape of one of their fallen foes who boasts that the party will die from what is coming out of the forest. To protect the farmer they enter the misty forest in the dark of the full moon and, you guessed it, encounter werewolves. If the party fights the werewolves in the forest they are helped by the light of the fairy mushrooms (can you say LED?). If the party moves back into the fields (dirt-colored terrain trays with magnetic rows of crops), out of the anhkhegs’ hole come werewolf-anhkhegs to join the attack. If the party survives this onslaught, they find the DM can lift the dirt-colored terrain trays to show the burrows underneath with larger rooms and 45-degree and Y-passages (Small burrow add-on). Oh, and they either fought the ghost back in the cabin or perhaps the farmer had gotten bitten and turns into a human-werewolf-anhkheg monstrosity hybrid.

Well there are the first six encounters
Last edited by kodiakbear on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:24 pm

In the 80s Citadel Miniatures produced a number of card buildings by Dave Andrews. I still have them.

Mayby from The Riding a Games Masters guide by A V Szczepankirwicz Page 6 Produced by Citadel Miniatures in the 1980's

I always liked the villages they were made up from Dave Andrews card buildings.
The buildings were used to represent mills,fortified dwellings, warehouses and hovels depending on the village location. One village had a stone circle. Others had docks.
I always think of these when I set up encounters.Lots of hedges and fields with a few key elements..
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:07 pm

Mushu_Green
Orc
Orc

Post by Mushu_Green » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:43 pm

kodiakbear wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:31 pm
Mushu_Green wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:24 pm
being able to build a complex city of docks, pier and footbridges would be very nice
Oldent wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:22 pm
For CBS
A thieves guild smuggler's warehouse
a barn
a Inn
a magic shop a market square
a farm
tax collector's or toll house
River and moat
Sounds like you fine gentlemen are looking for the KS7 It Takes a Village way to soon discussion ;)
I'll make a more elaborate drawing in the coming days for the village :P

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:18 am
We think for swamp DF will go negative space and scatter terrain.
With added wooden CBS swamp huts and more rickety docks and everglade style trees and more boats :)
I hope they work hard to make many of the elements so they can be used in a standard river encounter and then added elements and the murky water tray makes it sing swamp encounter.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Mushu_Green wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:24 pm
being able to build a complex city of docks, pier and footbridges would be very nice
Oldent wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:22 pm
For CBS
A thieves guild smuggler's warehouse
a barn
a Inn
a magic shop a market square
a farm
tax collector's or toll house
River and moat
Sounds like you fine gentlemen are looking for the KS7 It Takes a Village way to soon discussion ;)

Return to “Questions?”