Advice sought: Apple Barrel and FolkArt paint

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
tort518
Goblin
Goblin

Advice sought: Apple Barrel and FolkArt paint

Post by tort518 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:04 pm

How well do Apple Barrel and FolkArt paints work with Dwarvenite?

What colors would match KS1?

Do they need to be thinned?

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Advice sought: Apple Barrel and FolkArt paint

Post by MrMorden » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:18 pm

You generally thin all paints, but not if you are drybrushing.

That said, I'm a bit of a paint snob, and don't know why people buy bargain basement paint with minimal pigment and poor coverage, and then hope for good results. Set yourself up for success and get some real miniature paints. You can buy Vallejo paints inexpensively, and the Pokorny paints from DF are made for this terrain and come in big bottles to handle bigger batches of terrain.

tort518
Goblin
Goblin

Post by tort518 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:58 pm

My preference would also be Pokorney, but a tight budget and the shipping cost rule them out at present.

Still seeking answers to my questions.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:08 pm

tort518 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:58 pm
My preference would also be Pokorney, but a tight budget and the shipping cost rule them out at present.

I answered your last question. For color matching, no color with match completely without mixing, you'll have to experiment. Will these paints work? Yes, in the sense they will put some color on the plastic.

Will they produce good looking results? Magic 8 Ball says "Don't count on it"...

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:06 pm

We have used Pokorny and craft (Apple Barrel, Folk Art, etc.) with no ill effects. We have also used Golden brand tube acrylics with great success, especially for final highlights.

For alot of our color schemes no Pokorny color is available, so in going with other artist/craft paints we can document colors, and therefore repeat the effect (given good notes are made of paint steps).

I would hate to try to match custom colors months or years later...

Mister Frau Blucher
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Mister Frau Blucher » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Hey tort518,

I have used some craft paints on a few Dwarvenite pieces. I have a variety of colors that I have gotten from Michael's, mostly FolkArt. I used them in some alternate schemes for some cavern pieces to get an Underdark feel. I also used them quite a bit on certain small features of the main wall piece and corner piece for color variety.

I have not used them to try and duplicate the official colors.

You can see in the first photo below, I used Folkart purples and a citrus green. My results have been a little mixed, as the picture shows. The dark purple adhered well, but there has been some flaking in the lighter purple. The citrus green did not flow very well, and it is kinda blotchy.

That said, I am happy with the result, though it does not do what you intend, matching the official paint scheme.

The small features in the main cavern wall pieces I have painted with many different colors, and they all look okay. You can see this in the second photo (along with the purples again).

Hope this helps.
The attachment DSCN2013a.jpg is no longer available
DSCN2013a.jpg
DSCN2013a.jpg (100.16 KiB) Viewed 2109 times

Mister Frau Blucher
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Mister Frau Blucher » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Sorry, here's the other photo:
DSCN2030a.jpg
DSCN2030a.jpg (97.14 KiB) Viewed 2116 times

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:13 pm

Cheap paints will stick alright, but can be scraped off with a fingernail relatively easily. They don't come off on their own; so don't worry about them flaking right after painting or anything, but Pokorny paints are a lot tougher to scratch and hold their color better than cheap paints.

I would suggest if you are on a budget, perhaps doing paint sample from Home Depot for your base layer. It should be around $3-4. These paints are thicker than craft paint though, so be prepared for that and be careful not to put so much paint on that you lose detail. Then do craft paints for picking out highlights. Thebigteacher had some good words about it here: https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/view ... int#p79781

But overall, I'd stick with Pokorny paints as much as possible and then Reaper, Vallejo, etc. for details if you can; that's the best choice if it's an option for you.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:20 pm

tort518 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:58 pm

The answer depends on what you want to paint.

The Walmart brand of Plaid paint is Apple Barrel. Pewter gray is a little darker than Base Gray. The Black is flatter than Pokorney black.

I really can not make more suggestions because I never tried to duplicate or match the other colors. I pick the color I like and use it.

Do not be a paint snob with terrain. The old work table before the upgrade.

I moved the desk for better natural light

I have moved toward large bottles of craft paints I also like samples of house paint.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

LordDust
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by LordDust » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 pm

I have used Apple Barrel to paint a miniature and received compliments from guys that paint demo pieces at Gen Con. I'm not a great painter, just passable. Your mileage will vary. I honestly find Apple Barrel to be superior to Citadel paints. They do not go bad as quickly, they require less stirring (I roll bottles or swirl them usually) because there is less settling and separation of the pigments, and they go on more consistently across different materials than Citadel. There are other folks who swear by Citadel, but I like that brand least of every kind I have tried.

My favorite paints are Vallejo followed by Pokorny with Apple Barrel in third. Vallejo require less thinning than Apple Barrel and mix a bit easier. Pokorny I use without really doing anything to it, it is also very nice paint but the more limited pre-mixed palette limits my love for it. I still have no problems with using any of those on dwarvenite aside from when there is a bit of remaining release or what I believe is off gassing... sometimes some portions of the dwarvenite are a bit oddly slick or oily and while I can get it clean with either degreasing dish soap or simple green it sometimes requires a toothbrush to assist. I use multiple thin layers to ensure good coverage and a consistent look on my pieces. I do use a wee bit of the Folkart metallics, but I don't care as much for their standard line.

I'd recommend Apple Barrel and a dollar or less jug of distilled water for thinning (I like distilled because it is more consistent in results than tap water that can have varying levels of chemicals or additives). A dropper bottle to put the water in can make using it easier, you can get them cheap at many craft stores. Remember that if you thin it too much it will not adhere as well to some materials (like bones or dwarvenite, they are not especially hydrophilic). Look for Vallejo paint sets on sale for cheap and add in the better quality paints as you can, but feel free to use Apple Barrel. The worst that happens is that you aren't satisfied and you break out an old sterilized toothbrush and some simple green to scrub it back to square one. That wastes a bit of time (which got you practice painting anyway) and a few pennies of paint.

Craft paint is fine for terrain and can even sometimes do fine on detailed miniatures, practice and talent can help you learn how to best use them. Better paints do make it a little easier to get better results, but they aren't required. I haven't really tried to mix them to match precisely nor have I tried to find specific color matches, so unfortunately I can't help much there. Good luck and happy painting!

Return to “How Do I Use This Stuff?”