Dreadhollow with a 200USD budget?

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Dreadhollow with a 200USD budget?

Post by kitenerd » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:20 pm

koraldon wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:55 pm
(suggestions for other grass mats? I also saw the 5E adventure grid)
flip mats are greeat for travel and on the quick, but a good cloth or neoprene mat will really make things look awesome

I am a big fan of the neoprene mats - these are a preorder right now but i love mine

http://www.brokenegggames.com/ks/advent ... level.html

there are a ton of companies making nice mats
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:25 pm

If you don’t have any mountain sets, I would get those vs escarpment corners. You can use them now and they will work with the cave entrance when you get it. The adventure pack is very cool but is a focus item. Not really something you will use every time you need forests. The juggernaut is amazing however and, in my opinion, makes it a must have pledge item.

koraldon
Goblin
Goblin

Post by koraldon » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:55 pm

Yep, I tempted by the idea of using paizo flip mats. I have the basic one, which is good quality and I use it a lot, including when I'm short on time to setup the DF ;)
So basically, If I'm getting this https://paizo.com/products/btpy8yvs?Pat ... -MultiPack (suggestions for other grass mats? I also saw the 5E adventure grid) I can add the following:
2 x Forest Scatter Terrain - 64 USD (32 each)
1 x Tree Variety pack - 88 USD
1 x Bramble Pack - 25 USD
Total - 177 USD

I liked the cave mouth pack suggestions as well, which give me:
1 x Forest Scatter Terrain - 32USD
1 x Tree Variety pack - 88 USD
1 x Bramble Pack - 25 USD
1 x Cave mouth pack - 62 USD
Total - 207 USD

Not a ton of trees, I can always add a 2nd forest scatter pack in retail, but I think it is enough to experiment?
Is it worth to also add an escarpment corner pack (I don't have any mountains) to supplement the cave mouth and/or have some kind of a focal point on the map?
Or invest in the adventure pack and drop the mouth pack? Not sure how versatile it is - it seems very cool, but a "one-use" item per campaign.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Arcarius2001 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:43 pm

I would get the Cave mouth pack, Scatter Terrain, and Tree Variety pack. Skip the terrain tray for now and use a generic grass mat. Later you can add more Scatter Terrain and trees as your budget allows.

RisingSeraph
Orc
Orc

Post by RisingSeraph » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:09 pm

I would get the Paizo Flip-mat basic terrain multipack, then get the Dreadhollow scatter trees and escarpments you like most: https://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Flip- ... dpSrc=srch

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:59 am

$200 isnt a whole lot as many have pointed out and I'm sure you are aware of. I am in a similar situation in the sense that most of my budget is going towards caverns (I have none) and about $400 worth of forest. I can't quite build the large scale forest I would like and plan to add more next year. But I am thinking about all the ways the forest terrain can come into play without being the typical iconic "Forest". Think about forest elements and how they will come into your game. For example, many people have mentioned using a couple tiles as a park like setting in town. Or as Zenako pointed out, how can you use individual elements to round out your other encounters. One reason I really want just a few tiles and trees is so I can do an underground forest within my caverns encounters. So various cavern rooms will transition from rock along the edges to forest tiles in the middle. I envision a deep cavern with shards of sunlight piercing through ceiling cracks and trees rising up to meet the light. I think my players will enjoy the unanticipated setting.
"The price of wisdom is eternal thought." - Frank Birch

gwhansen
Goblin
Goblin

Post by gwhansen » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:35 pm

geekjeff wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:22 pm
200 bucks (I assume Painted from your listed options) is indeed really hard to do. Almost everything I come up with for a starter set clocks in at $250-300.

I think your option with two Tray packs (4 square feet) would be too sparse with the number of Stump Patches involved.

Do you have any Erinthor/Cliffs, or plan to buy any soon? Another option might be:
1x Forest Scatter
1x Tree Variety
1x Forest Terrain Trays
1x Cave Mouth

The Cave Mouth plays very nicely with Erinthor pieces, and comes with its own Gnarled Large Tree and an extra Scatter patch, plus toppers. Nice transition area for your setups. The little step up onto the Cave Mouth tile wouldn’t bother me in a larger layout with other stuff going on.
What would be your $300 forest starter for someone who has Erinthor?

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:02 pm

I would drop the terrain trays, buy more scatter trees, and get a cheap battlemat, print a grass pattern, or just use green felt for flat table coverage. Seems like more coverage for your $ that way.

geekjeff
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by geekjeff » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:22 pm

200 bucks (I assume Painted from your listed options) is indeed really hard to do. Almost everything I come up with for a starter set clocks in at $250-300.

I think your option with two Tray packs (4 square feet) would be too sparse with the number of Stump Patches involved.

Do you have any Erinthor/Cliffs, or plan to buy any soon? Another option might be:
1x Forest Scatter
1x Tree Variety
1x Forest Terrain Trays
1x Cave Mouth

The Cave Mouth plays very nicely with Erinthor pieces, and comes with its own Gnarled Large Tree and an extra Scatter patch, plus toppers. Nice transition area for your setups. The little step up onto the Cave Mouth tile wouldn’t bother me in a larger layout with other stuff going on.

gwhansen
Goblin
Goblin

Post by gwhansen » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:50 pm

zenako wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:46 pm
Personally with a limited budget I would see about getting the major pieces that could act as centerpieces for another encounter. The Spirit Tree and the Cave Entrance for example. Round out with scatter terrain or perhaps some treetops. Just getting a couple of the tree tiles for example will only give you a very limited area of coverage on a play map, unless that area is something special.
This is a good optional perspective in lieu of looking for table coverage. Especially considering that the cave entrance comes with a piece you could use as scatter.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”