Advice on Large Pledge

Papa_Stevie
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Advice on Large Pledge

Post by Papa_Stevie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:26 pm

@Naeblis Great minds think alike?? A second Caverns Deep would have been so much fun. For me and my budget, wanting to get more of the Dreadhallow sets made me take the Caverns Deep over the Deluxe pledge. Once I figured out the spreadsheet I discovered how amazingly helpful and informative it was. The one piece that bugs me is the "4x4 Convex Curve" piece. In my entire order, I still only end up with just one of those. I almost got that passage add-on set for another, but ended up mixing and matching elsewhere. While the 4x4 is awesome, it was much easier to end up with more of the corner-fill stalagmite pieces. Oh well, at least I've got the one!

Papa_Stevie
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Papa_Stevie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:24 am
Too late
RabbitB, I am the one who posted this thread too late. I wanted to get it up this past weekend for a better discussion, but couldn't get out of the workshop. But yes! Just like @zenako said, I see the corners combining with the Erinthor Mountain pieces to make spires and the like. I also felt that there should have been an extra set for the inside corners. I predict that the Corners are going to be the limiting piece when making more interesting formations so I tried to sneak in some more of those. I appreciate you both chiming in!

Naeblis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Naeblis » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:48 pm

I started out with a Deluxe Caverns Deep, then trying to add more items to my order to complete build outs like you did. i ended up just buying a Caverns deep because of the value. then i went crazy on forests. i created several spreadsheets and Visios to make sure i was getting the proper matching of floor and trees. like you i did not think the tree variety pack was a good fit. i did end up adding some other items that i wanted more of, then added a 2nd caverns deep again.

to answer your question i think your set is quite complete.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:40 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:24 am
Too late, but that's a lot of escarpment corners ;) when you just have encounter escarpments (which already includes some corners)
We thinks you have a plan ......
Just use 4 corners together for a standalone small hilltop or berm Use 4 corners and 2 escarpments to make a longer raised earth based structure or feature. Look at all those outdoor features in a freestanding mode as well as for building up the edges of mountains and cliffs.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:24 am

Too late, but that's a lot of escarpment corners ;) when you just have encounter escarpments (which already includes some corners)
We thinks you have a plan ......
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Papa_Stevie
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Papa_Stevie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:58 pm

LadySabelle- Great points, thank you for the comment. I avoided the Tree Variety pack because 1 Large and 1 Small are the perfect match to 2 Forest Scatter sets. The 2nd Large trees is for extra coverage and larger trees. I wish I could get more of the trees, they are so cool.

zenako- Thanks for commenting, I got just the two short stilts, because I wanted to balance the number of large and short a little better and a lot come with the other sets and encounters. It currently stands at: 52 small and 82 large. I agree the floor pieces are always a good choice. I love that 6x6, but I do have some KS2. But its not the same. Definitely up there with more Forest Escarp. corners and Forest Transitions

LadySabelle
Ogre
Ogre

Post by LadySabelle » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:46 pm

It all looks great and is an awesome pledge. Only thing I could see that you might consider is the Tree Variety Packs pair perfectly with the Forest Scatter Terrain sets. But you've got a good selection of tree add-ons so it probably won't even be an issue. Just thought I'd point it out.
Unless I specifically state that my information is directly from Valoria, my comments are just my own opinions.
http://ladysabelledesigns.com/

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Well Papa, that is a LOT of dwarvenite in one bundle. :D

There is not much you will not be able to build, including some pretty large forest settings with 3+ total DH forest packs (the CD, the 2 Encntr 15's plus all the add-ons you list. I notice you are getting some extra Short Stilts, but no extra normal Stilts. The Normal Stilts could also be small wall sections if needed.

As for Cherries on top, since you are getting the whole thing, not sure what else you might want. If you like making large open areas in a cavern, perhaps additional cavern floor packs would help there, but dang that is a pretty complete listing.

Papa_Stevie
Goblin
Goblin

Advice on Large Pledge

Post by Papa_Stevie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Hello, I am locking in my final order and was hoping a set of fresh eyes could look it over and drop some comments. My entire pledge is painted and I am only interested in unpainted if it is something unique or interesting like "DF Hacks", not things pertaining to cost etc.

Looking at my pledge, these are some of the main questions on my mind:
-Have I fleshed out each environment to have good diversity and enough core building parts? Or am I missing/overlooking fun parts? (Caverns, Ice, UnderD, Forest)
-Am I missing out on those "4x4 Convex Curve" pieces? What other hard to get pieces should I look at again?
-Have I chosen parts that make the best value? (Caverns Deep vs Deluxe)
-What pieces/configurations are most likely not going to be available in the post-KS store restock?
-What pieces offer the most value to invest in/resell in the future, like DoD's Epic Stairs or Jade Shrine? DISCLAIMER: This is NOT about the dubious practice of 'scalping' sets. Ordering during the KS does not take away any opportunity or product from other people, but actually puts more of those hard to get/most desirable sets into the secondary-market circulation.
-If I had $100 more to add, what should be my "cherry on top"?

The Pledge:
(ALL PAINTED, arranged in order listed in the pledge planner spreadsheet. This was an amazing tool, thank you so much for its creation!)

1- Caverns Deep! (All encounters standard paint)
2- Ice Caverns Starter Pack
1- Encounter 13 (UD paint)
2- Encounter 15
1- Adv. Pack 5
3- Cave Cliff
1- Cave Doors
1- Cavern Floors
1- Double Door
1- Trifecta Terrain
3- Camp pack
2- Dungeon Ruins
2- Stalagmite
1- Tiny Treasure Trove
1- Natural Bridge
2- Short Stilt
1- Entrance Riser
1-Stairway to Violence
1- Passage Accessories
1- Passage Transition
2- Stone Banks
1- Suspension Bridge
2- Water Caverns Transition
1- Ice Banks
1- Ice Cavern Floors
1- UD Cavern Floors
6- Escarpment Corners
2- Forest Scatter Terrain
2- Large Tree pack
1- Small Tree
1- Stump Toppers
6- Forest Transition Banks

Thank you so much to whomever takes the time to read this and comment below!

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”