ROTA Shame

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: ROTA Shame

Post by GODofwar » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:59 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:14 am
This is a first world and some could say a fantasy world problem, Move along.

No?

Ok, carry on, but we want a clean fight, no swearing, no insults, no spitting, no exclamation marks, none of that foreign language mularky that google translate will feth up, no eye gouging, no legalese that no one ever reads and no hitting below the belt, looking at you Weasel!
We don't care that your much smaller and cant reach that high.
That's your problem capeesh?!

Right now that's settled .....FIGHT!!!!
Eye gouging? How does one do that? And Weasels don't hit below the belt...that's what sharp teeth are for....

The Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:43 am

Pricing of collectibles is always pretty much at the whims of the market. That piece of plastic has almost no intrinsic value. That Drizzt mini that was going for $30 and up on EBAY can now be had in shops for a small fraction of that price. Those ~200 Giants Frog, 98 Ibixians, 120 Spellstiched Zombies, etc. minis picked up on EBAY in clearance auctions for less than 10 cents each, later sold for ~$2 each. That Gargantuan Red Dragon you could buy/pre-order at 2 for 1 pricing for $75 from some online sellers, now fetch upwards of $500 a piece. Having resources and time and knowledge to invest in a collectibles market can be a way to afford even larger collections or divert funds to something related like DF for example :idea: .

I believe DF did the right thing for their brand by having the hidden lottery for the water sets. They will get their MSRP, and give many collectors a chance that they might otherwise never see at those prices. The goodwill DF earned from that decision, was almost certainly a sound longer term business choice. Certainly a few winners might choose to turn around their golden tickets and cash in. Certainly would be tempting given the significant amount of cash those could earn over the MSRP. As Papa pointed out, that is some serious bucks to turn down. Just like some of the DDM minis I have sold over the years, at some price point, I keep them, but when they get worth enough, the go to a new home. That can be a serious key to affording large collections of stuff like this, being able to emotionally detach from the item and sell it to others when the chance or market is ripe.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:14 am

This is a first world and some could say a fantasy world problem, Move along.

No?

Ok, carry on, but we want a clean fight, no swearing, no insults, no spitting, no exclamation marks, none of that foreign language mularky that google translate will feth up, no eye gouging, no legalese that no one ever reads and no hitting below the belt, looking at you Weasel!
We don't care that your much smaller and cant reach that high.
That's your problem capeesh?!

Right now that's settled .....FIGHT!!!!
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:56 am

GardenDM wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:21 am
kodiakbear wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:45 am
jazzman wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm
Okay, I'm going to say it. Somewhere along the line DF put up a small stock of ROTA intersections for $25 each. They sold out quickly. Now there's at least two sellers on eBay with large quantities selling them for $200 a piece.
I see one seller has a set of four for sale and four for sale individually, I wonder if they actually have eight or are selling the same four in two different listings at the same time.
Quite a feat if they can pull off the second one. Replicator technology? ;)
Years ago, I found something listed I really wanted four of and a seller had 2ea for sale as a set and 2 others listed individually. But the seller really only had two, he had listed them both ways to improve his chance to sell them.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:21 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:45 am
jazzman wrote:
Okay, I'm going to say it. Somewhere along the line DF put up a small stock of ROTA intersections for $25 each. They sold out quickly. Now there's at least two sellers on eBay with large quantities selling them for $200 a piece.
I see one seller has a set of four for sale and four for sale individually, I wonder if they actually have eight or are selling the same four in two different listings at the same time.
Quite a feat if they can pull off the second one. Replicator technology? ;)

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:45 am

jazzman wrote:

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Another delay. Had a client here ALL DAY...really nasty family case, informal mediation tomorrow...I will get back to ROTA Shame...BTW, whoever coined that title should be horsewhipped :lol:

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:20 pm

I always enjoy when the weasel jumps in and gets all lawyerly ;)

of course its legal - doesn't stop me from calling whoever does it a scumbag though (pretty sure i can do that legally, i'd have to go farther to get into libel or slander...)

i do enjoy the discourse on the unintended consequences of well intentioned laws - not always obvious - take CA and rent control - on the surface rent control is a great thing, it keeps housing affordable for all - EXCEPT - when you restrict a landlords ability to charge market rate for his property, it makes renting less attractive - the result is the construction of fewer units of rental housing which results in... higher prices! - so rent control actually has an upward impact on rental prices.... all in the name of keeping things affordable ;)

life is complicated - that is why i game - something pisses me off, i grab a d20 and try to kill it!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:42 pm

Marcoreds, not only is this an interesting discussion per se, it kept me awake while billing - which I hate doing. I like being in court and writing briefs, not writing bills.

I'll answer tomorrow, when I'm not tired and have had time to think about your thoughtful response.

Merry Xmas to all, and to all a good night.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:31 pm

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I try to live by the Golden Rule; I wouldn't want people trying to take advantage of me by way of buying out a supply. That's all I have to say.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “Non-Gaming Talk”