KS7 Wildlands unoffical teaser and bean pics topic

Kickstarter Updates - see the Kickstarter 4 Forum for updates on the current Kickstarter. This is for previous Kickstarters.
Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: KS7 Wildlands unoffical teaser and bean pics topic

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:48 am

John D wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:22 pm
Oh Riley, I'm glad that last one doesn't come with sound....

So, I think I superglued my eye shut, and I figured I'd bring this straight to the experts. Should I douse my eye with mineral spirits first, or just tug real hard on the eyelid and get it over with?
Tug!
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:09 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:22 am
William wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:26 pm
That would save me some bucks.
I don't like the TT's and will pass on them forever. :|
William is not a fan of Terrain Trays or the word 'Wot'.
But is a fan of resin and Dwarvenite.
He tolerates the hashtag #justsayin and Lagomorphs.

And no we don't hold profiling data on all DooFers* we let Google do that.

*Well not all at any rate
"*" qualification in tiny 1-point legal type noted by Legal Weasel. I don't suppose I can guess on which Trogs Rabbit Burner might be retaining files?

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:12 pm

William wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:15 pm
lostpict wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:09 pm
I want some df sf tt to work with my oop stuff.
Wouldn't a sheet of metal, spray painted black with white stars splattered all over, work?
or did you want ship-deck TT's?

1: Have local sheet metal shop cut right thickness metal to TT size. 2: Clean (sheet metal usually has oil on it even if you can't feel it - part of the process of making it) 3: Spray with Army Builder or other flat spray primer. 4: Slop on paint to your skill level. RESULT: TT much cheaper and not much labor.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Paladin in Hell
Orc
Orc

Post by Paladin in Hell » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:39 pm

I've gotten a few sheets of metal cut for me also - I like them for placing on the table so the magnets hold the build in place firmly or for swinging in bigger builds that are not table sized. The edges are a bit sharp - has anyone found a way to make them less prone to cutting? I have thought about using duct tape, but would prefer something better. I might also mount it to a piece of plywood to firm up the sheet and make the edge less of a cut/scrape risk.

GrumpyOne
Orc
Orc

Post by GrumpyOne » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:23 pm

scott102303 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:39 pm
I've gotten a few sheets of metal cut for me also - I like them for placing on the table so the magnets hold the build in place firmly or for swinging in bigger builds that are not table sized. The edges are a bit sharp - has anyone found a way to make them less prone to cutting? I have thought about using duct tape, but would prefer something better. I might also mount it to a piece of plywood to firm up the sheet and make the edge less of a cut/scrape risk.
I've used items like this for sheet metal and aluminum. Not sure how it would look with your setup but it (or something similar) would cut down on injuries (although dripping blood adds to the ambiance...).

https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Aluminu ... B0719R8H1R
"Initial success or total failure"

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:07 pm

scott102303 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:39 pm
I"m just careful, but I would probably recommend a metal grinder bit for a regular drill and just smooth the edges. if you have a bench grinder, get a metal grinding wheel (fine) and use that, easier and quicker. Just turn the metal about 45* while holding lightly against the grinder.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

Paladin in Hell
Orc
Orc

Post by Paladin in Hell » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:24 pm

I did a bit of smoothing with my dremel, which is the best tool I own for metal grinding, but it would take a long time to do all the metal I've got. I didn't try a bit for my drill. I like your tip, GrumpyOne - that was the kind of thing I was thinking about.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:16 pm

scott102303 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:24 pm
I did a bit of smoothing with my dremel, which is the best tool I own for metal grinding, but it would take a long time to do all the metal I've got. I didn't try a bit for my drill. I like your tip, GrumpyOne - that was the kind of thing I was thinking about.

For me, the problem with it is that the edges are higher than the middle of the metal so I think the sheets would tend to bow.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:24 pm

Going out on a limb here, but could you dip the edge in epoxy resin? Would that stick and "round" out the edge potentially?

If not that, I'd probably just glue it to foamcore or something else and leave a 1/8" lip of foam around the edge if I couldn't smooth it out another way.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Paladin in Hell
Orc
Orc

Post by Paladin in Hell » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:28 pm

You guys are great for ideas, to be sure. Yeah, the bow is a concern. For me, I am using larger sheets - table-sized ones and ones that are about 24"x36". Not sure how pronounced the bow would be for that size. Would the epoxy resin last over time? It would limit the bulge and probably last longer. I may also just go back to my first plan and put plywood backing on all of them for protection from edges and improved rigidity. The 22 gauge steel I used bows a little more than I would like on my larger sheets. Thanks for the feedback.

Return to “Kickstarter Updates”