Which resin classic sets would you recommend and how many?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Which resin classic sets would you recommend and how many?

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:50 pm

I like RotA for "upscale ruins." Basically when it's supposed to be an old temple, palace, library, etc. Something that should be different from normal ruins.

I like it better than DoE by a wide margin. Hope that helps.
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:47 pm

John D wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:43 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:16 am

NOT HELPING !!!!!!!!

What and how many sets is that lot?
I was prepping these pictures for a different post, so try to look surprised if you see them again -

The world famous 2xROTA I : 1xROTA II ratio.ROTA I-II-I.jpgThe ROTA I's are on either side, and the ROTA II is in the center of the board (it's a 2'x3' board, so each set covers a bit over a Sq. Foot). It's interesting (to me) that the ROTA II is a mirror of itself, but the ROTA I isn't. I definitely recommend starting with the 2:1 ratio - I started with 1:1, and within a week placed an order for a second ROTA I. Honestly, I'm aiming at adding one more of each set for a 3:2 (The MegaROTA!).

But, lets work with what we have in hand -
SuperROTA.jpgThe elevation situation is why I was working on these photos, I should have that post up in a day or so.
Photographing ROTAs is hard - The real color of the set has a much 'cooler' temperature (almost a blue-ish cast), but for some reason the browns/yellows bloom on digital, making it look warm/reddish. I'm constantly fiddling with the white balance for the photos, but they still don't look accurate to me.

I'll just say, In person it's a visually striking set with great presence, and building with it is a pleasure.
I hope that actually Helps :D
This is definitely NOT helping! :twisted:

I'm standing on my wallet to prevent it from jumping up and ordering these sets!!! I promised myself that I would be happy with DoE, Catacombs, and Woodlands (for now) since KS6 wrung my poor wallet dry and who knows what KS7 has in store.

Gotta just keep telling myself that DoE and Temple of Sysuul provide plenty of options for spooky old (evil) places for adventurers to get into trouble in. *whew*

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:43 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:16 am

NOT HELPING !!!!!!!!

I was prepping these pictures for a different post, so try to look surprised if you see them again -

The world famous 2xROTA I : 1xROTA II ratio.
ROTA I-II-I.jpg
ROTA I-II-I.jpg (88.21 KiB) Viewed 615 times
The ROTA I's are on either side, and the ROTA II is in the center of the board (it's a 2'x3' board, so each set covers a bit over a Sq. Foot). It's interesting (to me) that the ROTA II is a mirror of itself, but the ROTA I isn't. I definitely recommend starting with the 2:1 ratio - I started with 1:1, and within a week placed an order for a second ROTA I. Honestly, I'm aiming at adding one more of each set for a 3:2 (The MegaROTA!).

But, lets work with what we have in hand -
SuperROTA.jpg
SuperROTA.jpg (83.99 KiB) Viewed 615 times
The elevation situation is why I was working on these photos, I should have that post up in a day or so.
Photographing ROTAs is hard - The real color of the set has a much 'cooler' temperature (almost a blue-ish cast), but for some reason the browns/yellows bloom on digital, making it look warm/reddish. I'm constantly fiddling with the white balance for the photos, but they still don't look accurate to me.

I'll just say, In person it's a visually striking set with great presence, and building with it is a pleasure.
I hope that actually Helps :D

Pizzabagel
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Pizzabagel » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:09 pm

GODofwar wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:06 am
Pizzabagel wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:58 am
To DF expert veterans: which classic resin sets do you recommend picking up and how many? Thanks!

I'm curious what program you decided on, Pizzabagel?
BTW, I would get one more RoTA 1. I find a 2:1 ratio of RoTA 1 / RoTA2 works well. I just upped my collection to nearly that number (5xRoTA1 to 2xRoTA2).

TLW
Whoops sorry, I haven’t been on the forums in a while. I wound up buying 2 each of ROTA 1 and 2. I had fun setting up a hidden Tharzidun-style temple for my players to stumble upon... They may still be in therapy...

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:16 am

John D wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:18 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:38 pm
we hate you lot!

we got a shopping trolley full of RotA !!!

just the $160 shipping is stopping us pull the trigger

Just to be clear we don't hate you lot but your not helping us save our carrots.
Well, nibble on this a bit - ROTA Supreme.jpg
NOT HELPING !!!!!!!!

Fabulous build though John :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:44 pm

John D wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:18 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:38 pm
we hate you lot!

we got a shopping trolley full of RotA !!!

just the $160 shipping is stopping us pull the trigger

Just to be clear we don't hate you lot but your not helping us save our carrots.
Well, nibble on this a bit - ROTA Supreme.jpg
Love the ramp - idea saved for future efforts.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:44 pm

hunter_something wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:33 pm
@Oldent thanks for posting! That was super helpful.

I love the plywood + molds combination with those hirst floors too, I bet that saves a ton of material cost for making floor tiles!

I think the feeling I'm getting is I like the resin sets, but I may want to set them off from dwarvenite in a build, like having them as separate rooms or something similar.
Hydro cal is not very expensive. I have a huge number of 4 bot and Hirst Arts molds. ;) I find building can be as much fun as gaming.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:33 pm

@Oldent thanks for posting! That was super helpful.

I love the plywood + molds combination with those hirst floors too, I bet that saves a ton of material cost for making floor tiles!

@AnimeSensei thanks for the recommendations! I think the overhead views/product shots of the RotA sets must really not do them justice (based on the sheer volume of people who love them & some of the member pics I've seen lately!). I think it's time I start taking a closer look at them!

That said, I'm not sure I'd say I've got dungeons, caverns & buildings covered quite yet. Right now I've got:

• 5 12x12 plastic cases of DoD
• 1 monster sewer set
• Enough CB to do one pretty cool Inn (or 6ish small buildings)
• Waiting on my Caverns Deep Pledge (Adventure Essentials 1-3, Crystal Cavern Adventure Pack, Stalagmite Pack, Natural Bridge, Stairway To Violence, Dock Pack, Cave of Ruin Adventure Pack, Cave Cliff Pack, Covert Warcamp Adventure Pack, Stone Banks Pack, and a Cave Water Multi Pack Terrain Trays.

I've still got a while to go before I'm feeling well-stocked...

I'm eagerly awaiting the March restock (read: spreadsheeting hard). I'm very tempted by the resin sets, but I think maybe for now I should focus on bulking up my dungeon sets, and then possible mixing in some CB / Castles, depending on how the new castle sets look. Then hopefully the resin sets will still be in stock later in the year...

@nielsene That's absolutely perfect - thanks for sending it!!! I think the feeling I'm getting is I like the resin sets, but I may want to set them off from dwarvenite in a build, like having them as separate rooms or something similar.

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:18 pm

You've gotten a lot of detailed shots above, here's a simple close up of DoE, DoD Vaulted, Catacomb, DoD classic.
DF-comparisons.jpg
DF-comparisons.jpg (93.47 KiB) Viewed 545 times

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:05 pm

hunter_something wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:40 pm
Everything I've got right now is Dwarvenite. I like the look of some of the old resin sets, especially the Catacombs, but I'd like to know how well they pair with the dwarvenite. I've been working on my gameplan for the upcoming restock, and I'm trying to decide if I should leave room for some resin :)

Does anyone have any up-close shots of a resin piece next to a dwarvenite piece?
Welcome to the forums, hunter_something!

I would highly suggest getting the Realms of the Ancients and Catacombs sets to go with your Dwarvenite sets. If you've already got your dungeons, caverns, and buildings covered with Dwarvenite offerings, then you're into non-generic environments. The best detail, coolest to look at (in my opinion), and most versatile of these are the RotA and Catacombs sets.

Some people hear resin vs. Dwarvenite and think the resin is fragile. Not so. I wouldn't smash it on a floor for fun, but they're pretty darn sturdy. 100% worth it.

Here are some pics of the Catacombs mixed with dungeon and castle bits. I have a lot of resin in the pics from this campaign. You should be a able to get a good idea of how they mix. (In the first post, the resin Catacombs start with the room with the red lights; the pics above that aren't DF offerings.)

https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/view ... 1&p=124392
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “Questions?”