Orc
Orc

Re: KS5 - Magnets in bases

Post by RisingSeraph » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:10 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:18 am
RisingSeraph wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:38 am
Has anyone tried Loctite super glue? It worked great for a magnet that came out of one of my KS5 pieces, planning to use it for my non-magnetics.
We use Army Painter super Glue - highly recommend. Used it on our dislodged magnets and have had no more magnet dislodging incidents.
Great recommendation, thanks!

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:18 am

RisingSeraph wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:38 am
Has anyone tried Loctite super glue? It worked great for a magnet that came out of one of my KS5 pieces, planning to use it for my non-magnetics.
We use Army Painter super Glue - highly recommend. Used it on our dislodged magnets and have had no more magnet dislodging incidents.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

RisingSeraph
Orc
Orc

Post by RisingSeraph » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:38 am

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Oh that sounds like a great idea. I will try it. thanks!
Thunder wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:42 am
I have started not using an adhesive to connect magnets to the pieces. Just screwing small screws into the bottoms of the pieces, then using the magnets only when you want to attach them to the trays seems to be working great for me right now. The screws are inexpensive and have enough hold for the magnets.

Then store the magnets separately and the Tiles also store as per normal.

Peace

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:42 am

I have started not using an adhesive to connect magnets to the pieces. Just screwing small screws into the bottoms of the pieces, then using the magnets only when you want to attach them to the trays seems to be working great for me right now. The screws are inexpensive and have enough hold for the magnets.

Then store the magnets separately and the Tiles also store as per normal.

Peace

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:09 pm

Just checking on the status of adhesives that others may have used to affix magnets to CBS parts. How are the various adhesives you've tried holding up?

I'd like to magnetize my CBS floors and imperial streets, as I often build roofless one-story cities a lot for games like Zombicide, and I don't have a very good game table setup. (our gaming table is also our dining table, so prebuilding there doesn't work so well. I want to build elsewhere and transport to the table when I'm ready). I bought a bunch of terrain trays for this purpose and might supplement with home depot metal sheets, but it's still pretty difficult to manage without magnets.

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am

True, the edges need a bit of a file. The gauge is thick enough that a quick running of a file down the edge is fast and easy.

Also that Truck Bed spray is pretty thick and puts a decently blunt edge on the metal.

Peace

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Thunder wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:15 pm
Howdy Folks,

I made some of my own trays as well, super easy and they work really well.

1) I bought the 22 gauge precut steel sheets from Home Depot in 12" x 12".
2) There were some rust spots so I used Naval Jelly to remove and treat the rust, this stuff is super.
3) I sprayed the sheets with a standard car body Rust colored primer.
4) Lastly, I sprayed the sheets with a couple THIN coats of Truck Bed liner in black/dark grey.

When the trays dried, the surface is quite durable with a rippled/mottled texture. Both magnets and blu-tac work great for sticking the Dwarven Forge tiles to them.

Peace
The big thing to make sure of is that the edges are flesh safe for handling. Sheet metal can be nasty if not properly edged.

Thunder
Orc
Orc

Post by Thunder » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:15 pm

Howdy Folks,

I made some of my own trays as well, super easy and they work really well.

1) I bought the 22 gauge precut steel sheets from Home Depot in 12" x 12".
2) There were some rust spots so I used Naval Jelly to remove and treat the rust, this stuff is super.
3) I sprayed the sheets with a standard car body Rust colored primer.
4) Lastly, I sprayed the sheets with a couple THIN coats of Truck Bed liner in black/dark grey.

When the trays dried, the surface is quite durable with a rippled/mottled texture. Both magnets and blu-tac work great for sticking the Dwarven Forge tiles to them.

Peace

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:02 pm

Well so far I have had decent success with Gorilla Glue on the handful I have had to reinstall. I have also used a filled superglue on a few when I ran out of GG. I did make sure to clean out the old stuff in the cavity since one time I had one just peel out the old glue/epoxy. Had not actually bonded to the base material.

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 5 Discussion”