Greetings from the Forge: Part 4 The Greetening ⚔

See the individual Kickstarter Forums for updates on our Kickstarters. This Forum is for general news about our products.
dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Greetings from the Forge: Part 4 The Greetening ⚔

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:55 am

I would post less if people agreed with me more......
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:09 am

Oldent wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:41 pm
I am sure no one is interested in how I think KS should be run. The best input I can give is what I wish to purchase.
You could say that applies to all of us DooFers - but we chime in anyway :)

A couple of points and will try not to ramble.

All SGs should be costed into the amount raised to unlock them - making them actually free is bordering on irresponsible.

Pre-order for existing items is a good idea especially for big sets.

KS for new sculpts we think is great, the whole DF KS experience is a yearly highlight, and gives backers/purchasers a chance to clarify information and provide various feedback.

We are with Oldent on the whole SG front, largely ignore them unless they come with a set I am pledging for. They very rarely influence which sets we go for. And we don’t seriously pledge until all sets and add-ons are released and at that point the unlocked SGs are in the realm of nice extras rather than essentials.

The reason we want DF to not use vital sculpts to an encounter as SGs, is so backers will stop writing about it and move on to something potentially more interesting.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

blakoutsun
Goblin
Goblin

Post by blakoutsun » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:27 am

GardenDM wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:47 am
Question to the crowd: there seems to be some pushback towards the idea of "lending" money via Kickstarter, but I often see people specifically requesting pre-orders.

What's the difference in your mind?
There are a few things that come to mind for this topic. The store sells out of items very quickly and the wait for the item to come in stock varies. In addition, there are times when I am unable to purchase an item that just came in stock because it quickly sold out. A pre-order prevents the second part and provides (theoretically) a shorter wait time than backing a KS.

A pre-order in my view of DF is more of a reservation for an item that exists, not a new creation. If you are referring to a pre-order of something that doesn't yet exists, disregard my previous sentence.

My ideal scenario would be for DF to have a massive rent-free warehouse and everything in stock so I could order whatever I want without worrying if it is stock.

Kickstarters are fun and exciting and sort of like crack (or so I hear). They hit all of the right nerve centers in my grey matter. I will continue to back DF regardless of how they structure future kickstarters, but I do like voicing my opinion on how I could find more enjoyment from the KS.

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:47 am

Question to the crowd: there seems to be some pushback towards the idea of "lending" money via Kickstarter, but I often see people specifically requesting pre-orders.

What's the difference in your mind? Presumably a pre-order wouldn't offer any special discount over regular store pricing nor offer stretch goals (for better or worse).

At the end of the day, I guess I don't see the difference and if KS with "marketing" oriented SGs is what DF needs to keep things chugging along, then I'll shrug and keep buying.

Despite the above position, I really do like the suggestions around re-structuring the SGs to give a cherry-on-top feel to the encounters rather than to make them feel whole. I get that having 24 SGs unlocked in the first 24 hours is probably good from a marketing perspective and I also think there are SG ideas in this thread that let you offer a complete encounter to start with and add SGs that don't break the bank.

Anywho, back to pining away for 6.66! Bring on the lava, SGs or no. :)

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:31 am

The KS savings on DF are indeed pretty slim. The savings is one thing that really attracts me to Reaper Bones.

Dragos
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Dragos » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:46 pm

The comment by kitenerd about expectations for loaning someone $1000 for a year or I'm sure for many of you as for me, several thousand dollars strikes the heart of the matter to me. I have read the justifications for the necessity of the kickstarter format to keep this boutique business going but I don't purchase anything else in this fashion. What business would not want to continue to operate with guaranteed money up-front? I was hopeful that the business would attain a level of success and stability that kickstarters would no longer be necessary. Why is that such an impossibility? Kickstarters are somewhat fun and exciting to participate in but they lead to overspending on the part of the consumer, i.e. us, mostly out of fear that we will not be able to obtain these goods in a timely fashion if ever if we wait until the store release. The discount for our interest-free loans has dwindled to around 10% I believe and pretty-much everything in the kickstarter is eventually available in the store (which I prefer but does take away from the specialness of our commitment/investment.) I feel like with this current financial model we function more as stockholders or financiers rather than simply customers. We should have more information about the financial bottom line of the company that we largely support. Ok now I'll get off my soapbox.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:41 pm

I am sure no one is interested in how I think KS should be run. The best input I can give is what I wish to purchase.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:57 pm

I saw the armchair quarterback comment and I certainly agree it is valid. I certainly do not have all the information DF has and am just giving my relatively uninformed opinion.

I hope DF is successful, but having product sitting in the warehouse is not a good way to do that. Maybe DF needs to move towards a more KS configurations and retail configurations mindset.

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:37 pm

I do not care about stretch goals . I want usable configurations. A magma river moat would require 4 curves. What I want to do for Balin's Stair will require 4 dead ends an 2 T intersections.I want about 4 feet of straight. I would need about 2 feet to double back for Balin's Stair so 4 feet.
I do not want to wait years for something that should be available at the beginning. The new configuration castle sets make a lot of sense. Something similar wold make sense for magma rivers.

The magma falls will be awesome.
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:12 pm

William wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:02 pm
Mitch wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:57 pm
Valorian_Seneschal wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:31 am
I have passed along your strech goal thoughts to Nate, but I do think some people enjoy the reveal of special pieces.
I would love to see more packs of staple dungeon/cave dressing e.g. pillars and pools. I don't want to have to buy a complete encounter to get a single pool. I want 5 or 6 pools!!! That sort of thing. :P
Yep, that would be helpful. :)
I have seen Stefan say that they did that with the resin sets and it almost broke the company. So they will be hesitant and resistant to that. But back then it was an itty bitty company with a very small follower/user base... now it is bigger and, more importantly, it has a growing audience.

They can never cater to what *everyone* wants, but they could make choices to make sets that are frequently requested (not just by the forum) and perhaps produce them where it makes sense... some thought might need to go into that when they design the encounters/sets and molds that contain more than one piece.

It is market research and finding the right target audience. RPGs are at an all time high in popularity and I believe DF is seeing increased sales (case in point - they sell out on base sets every time they restock). They have the most staff they have ever had... they are offering new configurations and will be offering some PF sets without going through a kickstarter to fund it...

I will stop before I ramble too much.

Return to “Dwarven Forge News”