What's your dream car/motorcycle?

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: What's your dream car/motorcycle?

Post by William » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:12 am

Riley, my ex-bosses daughter has one of those she camps in quite a bit. The only VW van remembrance I have was from about 1968 when I was stuck in the back of one without windows with my aunt and uncle on the way to their cabin in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. It was a long windy trip and I was susceptible to motion sickness back then (thank the Lord that ended) and about 10 miles from the destination I felt the build up of saliva and warned them to atop, but,... you all know what happened next. That's about it for VW vans.

Ah, another bad VW story, no wonder I'm not attracted to them. DF Forum therapy. Hmmm.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:02 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:56 am
This is what we wanted growing up

This is what we rode for many years, in all weathers, freezing fog, Blizzards.
The Yamaha FJ 1200 - 1.2 litres of pure riding joy.

Riding it felt like an extension of ourselves and is difficult to describe just how glorious it was, so much power and manoeuvrability and the only vehicle I did not crash :oops:

After that no car matches up so our current car criteria is cheap, able to do 30k miles a year and the local garage sells it.

No desire to go back to motorbikes, cars too comfortable for our 2 hour daily commute.
I wanted a Tiger too. I also rode, but way back and was only a KZ400. I was always wanting more speed, then my fall (not on it) happened and cars had to do. I loved that "total awareness" on a bike.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:56 am

This is what we wanted growing up

This is what we rode for many years, in all weathers, freezing fog, Blizzards.
The Yamaha FJ 1200 - 1.2 litres of pure riding joy.

Riding it felt like an extension of ourselves and is difficult to describe just how glorious it was, so much power and manoeuvrability and the only vehicle I did not crash :oops:

After that no car matches up so our current car criteria is cheap, able to do 30k miles a year and the local garage sells it.

No desire to go back to motorbikes, cars too comfortable for our 2 hour daily commute.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:19 pm

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:09 pm

My oldest brother had a beautiful restored VW bus. My other brother took a corner too fast and rolled it. Not a good day for brotherly love.
Ouch! Those can definitely be a little tippy.

My family friends, who owned the camper I fell in love with in the summer of 1976, also had a tip-over. IIRC, their camper was blown over by a wind gust while they were (luckily) driving very slowly up their dirt driveway in the foothills of Montana. I was told they got out, tipped it back up again, and continued on their way.

I’m guessing a fast roll would be a bit worse than that.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Arcarius2001 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Riley wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:57 pm
My dream vehicle:

...but reliable, electric, safely self-driving, and preferably larger on the inside than the outside.

Oh and under $10,000. :D
My oldest brother had a beautiful restored VW bus. My other brother took a corner too fast and rolled it. Not a good day for brotherly love.

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:57 pm

My dream vehicle:

...but reliable, electric, safely self-driving, and preferably larger on the inside than the outside.

Oh and under $10,000. :D

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Then you need to engage hyper-drive. ;)

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:49 am

Arcarius2001 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:00 am
kitenerd wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:40 pm

now that i am in a position to afford a "hobby" car i don't really have the time or desire - still miss my squareback - favorite car ever - something to be said for a car kids wave at and one that is so disticntive that friends leave notes under your windshiled wipers when they see your car
Nice! My favorite car was my old ‘71 squareback. I ended up passing it along to my brother who later sold it :(
If I could have any car though it would be a 56 porsche speedster.
I gave mine away with a sheared axle spline at a time in my life when i was too poor to repair it... hard to believe i spend more than that on gaming supplies every year...

(BTW - we tried to get the axle nut off ourselves - even with an 8 foot cheater bar and two people jumping on it - it wasn't budging)

both the VW and the Porsche share one important thing - you FEEL like you are driving a car... sound, smell, touch - all of them are apparent to the driver - I love the fact that i don't have to think twice about the cars i own now, they are ridiculously reliable, but driving them is about as engaging as cooking in a microwave
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Arcarius2001 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:00 am

kitenerd wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:40 pm
This was the first thing that popped into my head:

318822.jpg

i had a chance to buy one of these years ago and didn't - still regret it:

rayccm31.jpg

now that i am in a position to afford a "hobby" car i don't really have the time or desire - still miss my squareback - favorite car ever - something to be said for a car kids wave at and one that is so disticntive that friends leave notes under your windshiled wipers when they see your car
Nice! My favorite car was my old ‘71 squareback. I ended up passing it along to my brother who later sold it :(
If I could have any car though it would be a 56 porsche speedster.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:51 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:54 pm
I have an old WW1 Willy's that is sitting in a garage waiting to be restored.... it was supposed to be my dad's project with me when I hit 14. That date passed 23 years ago and it's still in the garage...

how old are your kids... seems like 14 is just around the corner... maybe you just skip a generation and YOU do it with THEM!
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Return to “Gaming Talk”