Do you want KS7 to have more Erinthor Mountain Cliff sculpts?

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Do you want KS7 to have more Erinthor Mountain Cliff sculpts?

Post by Riley » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:07 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:07 pm
DF has a solution for that

https://shop.dwarvenforge.com/collections/paint-brushes
That’s one solution, but what I imagine is not rock walls with green patches painted on. :)

Rather, why I’d like is a set of compatible terrain building blocks which contain a mix of broken rocks and greenery. Maybe with semi-flat patches of green on a rocky slope which are just big enough for a 25mm person to rest on momentarily.

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Looks great. This is exactly the type of thing that I want to create. I have a Cave Mouth Pack and some Escarpments from the Dreadhollow Forest coming (I now wish I had ordered more Forest stuff) and what to have a mountain to go on top of it. :D

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:44 am

93x74R wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:16 am
I sent my last before I read Rabbit Burners post. &%$#@ old saved drafts! I hope that he is right on the scale mixing as I would love to have some outdoor elevation. Right now I using the risers from II for outdoor elevation and they would OK but purpose built would be nicer.
I've mixed and matched Erinthor with caverns a few times to great success. Let me see if I can dig up a picture...

Unfortunately I can't find a shot of the interior. I must have made one...

What you're seeing is two levels of cavern hidden within an Erinthor mountain. I lifted the large floor pieces to reveal each level. Worked great. You can see that the cavern pieces position the floors slightly higher than the levels of Erinthor would normally go, but the effect was pretty convincing.
Attachments
Small.jpg
Small.jpg (110.86 KiB) Viewed 589 times
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:40 am

We think a DooFer did a precise and succinct post on scales.
This is what we believe to be the case:

KSI, KSII, KSV, KSVI (minus Dreadhollow) and KSVI.66 are 50mm scale

KSIII, KSIV and KSVI (only Dreadhollow) are (true) 2" scale

The reason for the change was the better quality of casting in KSIII, previous Kickstarter castings would shrink a little. So would be cast at 2" and shrink to 50mm.

It was an unintentional change but DF decided that 2" was the way forward. Backers somewhat disagreed resulting in the infamous scalegate of KSIII.

Moving forward DF compromised by using 50mm scale for underground and 2" for overground.

DooFers can and have debated this decision.

So for KSVI Caverns Deep - most of it is 50mm apart from Dreadhollow that is 2".

This means that when mixing pieces from these different Kickstarters you will find they don’t sit together as precisely as we'd like.

In this thread it means that Erinthor Mountains (2") will be slightly different to Caverns Deep Cliffs (50mm).

But as we point out this can result in a more natural looking build.

Note: If the above turns out to be nonsense we will delete this post.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:16 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:18 am
dice4hire wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:40 am
I also skipped on CD cliff pieces even though I love my two mountain sets. I hope to see more sculpts, but they need to be outdoor scale, which cliffs were not.

Maybe they will work well together, but why spend this much on maybe?
We did think on that before pulling the trigger on them in CD, but for mountains they don’t need to be precise as most of our mountainous builds are us throwing mountain pieces together trying to get a more natural, non uniform look.

During the crag build we got a little frustrated that mountain elevation blocks are not the same height as cube spacers, but that just made our cliffs a little more hap hazard which is kind of the look we were after.

So the fact that CD Cliffs are a slightly different scale to Erinthor won’t have a big impact and in fact my result in a more pleasing effect -
I sent my last before I read Rabbit Burners post. &%$#@ old saved drafts! I hope that he is right on the scale mixing as I would love to have some outdoor elevation. Right now I using the risers from II for outdoor elevation and they would OK but purpose built would be nicer.

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:05 am

They need to resolve the 'what is two inches' issue. As I understand it Erinthor was made to the bigger scale of III whereas KSVI was the same scale as I and II. I have shyed away from Erinthor as it is not perfectly compatible with what I have. Since this sounds like a continuation of the woods in VI I assume it will be to the same scale but that is just an assumption.

Arcarius2001
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Arcarius2001 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:55 am

Some new cliff sculpts would certainly be welcomed. As mentioned they work wonderfully around the base of fortresses, etc.
I will definitely get a couple sets if DF offers them.

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:02 am

I like that Erinthor is pretty grey. That makes it fit into more situations. The green on the crenelations sort of ruins them for, say, Hell-castles. You can always get your paint out, or put some aquarium plants around.
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:18 am

dice4hire wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:40 am
I also skipped on CD cliff pieces even though I love my two mountain sets. I hope to see more sculpts, but they need to be outdoor scale, which cliffs were not.

Maybe they will work well together, but why spend this much on maybe?
We did think on that before pulling the trigger on them in CD, but for mountains they don’t need to be precise as most of our mountainous builds are us throwing mountain pieces together trying to get a more natural, non uniform look.

During the crag build we got a little frustrated that mountain elevation blocks are not the same height as cube spacers, but that just made our cliffs a little more hap hazard which is kind of the look we were after.

So the fact that CD Cliffs are a slightly different scale to Erinthor won’t have a big impact and in fact my result in a more pleasing effect - we hope ;)
Riley wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:43 pm
My one disappointment with Erinthor is that the set is so very gray.

Real mountains have a lot more green (or snow, depending on season); pieces incorporating something like the color scheme of Dreadhallow would be very good to break up the gray monotony.
For a Lagomorph who grew up in Snowdonia mountains in North Wales, most of the time rocks were rocks with some lichen. That is very grey, normally a dark grey because it was always bloody raining!

In winter their maybe some snow but not that often and mostly on the high peaks as the area is surrounded by seawater.

In the summer you get more green from the hardy plants Heathers, gorse etc. So adding some plants to Erinthor builds would replicate a North Wales summer in the mountains than more green on the rocks.

But that is just our experience in a single mountainous area, the climate and rock types can make a massive difference to how rocks look.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:07 pm

A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”