Interest in Future Sci-Fi Sets?

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Interest in Future Sci-Fi Sets?

Post by William » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:00 pm

Very little interest for Sci-Fi in my world. But, I guess it would depend on crossover stuff. :?:
It also could be a wonderful time to catch up on some things. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:55 pm

I would not be interested, personally.

There is a lot of competition with 3D prints on this sort of thing, as there is a less organic shape to the pieces. However, if DF did some cool LED work, it could stand out in the crowd.
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Dolken
Orc
Orc

Post by Dolken » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:01 pm

I would put $3000 to $10,000 on dwarvenite Sci-Fi sets kickstarter.

I did hunt Ebay for 5 years to get 4 Alpha sets 3 beta sets 4 gamma sets and bought 14 core sets. I would of rather given that money to Dwarven Forge directly but sadly they don't seem to want to take the risk of more Sci-Fi settings.

Dolken

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:04 pm

I traded my Sci Fi for more resin inn sets. I do not want any more :roll:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:55 pm

But can it be done small? I doubt it, not if done like Law was talking about. If it is a big investment, they will need big coin to make it happen. How many people are willing to fork over multiple thousands for it? I know there are a lot of sci-fi people out there, but are they ready to pay this much for this kind of terrain?

I have seen a few KSes with sci-fi terrain but none have been inthe multiple or even single millions area.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:10 pm

Something that would work for multiple themes - VSF, Barsoom, Pulp Sci-Fi, etc.

Basic floor, corner, wall, & corridor sets, with bling to tailor themes.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:28 pm

I would be in for some SF Dwarvenite also. I think it would make a nice small KS.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:44 am

I really wish they’d bring back SF in Dwarvenite. I don’t know the numbers on how badly it bombed last time. I don’t know what kind of difference KS could make. But I would hope it could happen.

We’ve had a lot of fantasy KS campaigns by this point. We’re talking more and more about going back and filling in blanks from stuff we’ve already seen. A lot of time has passed since the last effort at SF. Personally, I find myself more excited by the idea of a huge SF campaign at this point than by any other suggestion or wish list I’ve seen. Even KS7, I have to admit - I may end up getting a lot of it, but I still feel like SF would excite me more.

I’d like to see as much of the old stuff revisited in Dwarvenite, plus ideally at least a few more sets:

1) A classic DF SF set with a themed environment. Maybe a cantina or a spaceport or a laboratory or a transporter room. Something that basically looks like the stuff we had before with some room-specific set dressings.

2) A spacecraft set. Could have the same basic aesthetic of the old stuff or something new. But something to allow for building a large interstellar craft: bridge, cargo bay, engine room at a minimum, then maybe hypersleep chambers, garrison, transporter bay, whatever.

3) Some meaningfully different environment. Three ideas come to mind:

a) Some planet exterior, let the sculptor’s imagination go wild. Something combining Rick and Morty and Futurama, presumably - giant Dr. Seuss-esque plantlife or rock formations or both.

b) Something more industrial than the old design, a la Aliens or Mad Max or the interior of a Jawa sandcrawler - exposed pipes and wires, catwalks, industrial steel flooring with yellow and black “caution” stripes.

c) Conversely, something sleeker than the old design, a la Star Trek or Bespin or Kamino. Smooth surfaces, curves, glass panels.

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:40 am

I bought a SF set from Maki Games to see how can I include this with the old SF sets.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:00 am

Until DF starts making some new sci-fi products, I recommend the following Kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2n ... =user_menu

For the "Collector" pledge level at $225, you get a huge variety of fully modular sci-fi pieces, including three configurable complete starships with lift-off tops and full interiors!

The catch? You have to print it on a 3d printer. This should not stop you, even if you don't have a printer; you can get a good 3d printer now for about $200. The bad news is if you want sci-fi, printing is unfortunately the only game in town right now. The good news is printing yourself is affordable and darn good quality. Alternatively, you could try to find a 3d print service that will take STL files your provide and print them for you. But that is likely to cost way more than just buying a printer.

Return to “Sci-Fi Master Maze Products”