KS 7 - Include A Much Needed "Wood Grain Set" Who Is With Me?!

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Re: KS 7 - Include A Much Needed "Wood Grain Set" Who Is With Me?!

Post by DWChancellor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:33 pm

I'd like some wood grain. I also hate units that are 2.54mm. I also have a lot of things in 2.54mm increments =(
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:37 pm

P.S. maybe we should start a new thread so that this thread can stay on Wood Grain Sets which I totally think is a worthy topic and a wish of mine :)

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:36 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 pm
I disagree.

I feel they should have tried for 50mm instead of 1" with KS3/KS4. While historical sets have been above and below the line, it's a lot closer to the median than a 1" scale is. This is the biggest mistake DF made in the Dwarvenite era, in my opinion. (Paint mismatches are next)

As it is, keep all sets of like appearance in the same scale. All CBS in KS3 scale. All dungeons in KS1 scale. Can you imagine the backlash with KS5 and KS6 if it were in 1" scale? We just had a big hullabaloo about buying lava caverns when they were offered already in resin and KS2. Imagine if KS5 and KS6 weren't backwards compatible? That was a big selling point. "We know you just spent a few thousand dollars from us over the past few years and liked what you got, so guess what? We re-engineered KS1 and KS2 and you can buy them all over again as the new stuff is LARGER than your old stuff! Have fun making that dungeon room with floors of different sizes!"
I'll disagree partially with your disagreement ;)

Staying in 50mm for KS3 and 4 was a better option than switching to 1" for some things and staying in 50mm for others. However, I still think that they should have switched to 1" and abandoned 50mm resin and KS1/2 sizing.

A) Most of the terrain world is in inches. While I haven't conducted a thorough research project comparing, my gut feeling from what I have been buying personally and seen others buy is that most of it measured in inches centimeters. Switching to inches lets DF integrate with more of the mass-produced world better; although, I agree that DF is a trend setter in quality, etc... how many major producers do you know that purposefully changed to 50mm for their product lines to match DF?

B) I don't know about others, but my monetary investment in KS3+ is leaps and bounds above what I invested in KS1 and 2. I haven't calculated it, but rough guess is that less than 5% of my total DF money spent was on KS1 and 2... and resin is always special so see #C.

C) I think that resin is MOSTLY played with by itself. Yes, there is some mixing, but it is an even more obvious difference than KS1 and 2 from KS3+. Resin folks wouldn't have been that much of a loss if KS5 & 6 had moved to inches. Granted, my investment in resin is substantial but significantly below that of dwarvenite; I rarely use resin any more and don't see myself buying any new resin except for special pieces like KS6.666 gates/etc. I won't buy a resin dungeon sets ever again, etc.

D) DF Staff and others have defended the difference in scale as "non-important" (the arguments are varied, but basically they say "no big deal")... thus, they have no room to have not moved scales to 1" for everything KS3+. Because it really isn't a big deal right?

So, people would have been upset and cried about their $100-1,000 loss of KS1 and 2 pieces... but they would have sold them or continued using them... and for the next 20 years, we would have had DF pieces that would have matched scales and could have put all of this crap behind us. :)

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:20 pm

I disagree.

I feel they should have tried for 50mm instead of 1" with KS3/KS4. While historical sets have been above and below the line, it's a lot closer to the median than a 1" scale is. This is the biggest mistake DF made in the Dwarvenite era, in my opinion. (Paint mismatches are next)

As it is, keep all sets of like appearance in the same scale. All CBS in KS3 scale. All dungeons in KS1 scale. Can you imagine the backlash with KS5 and KS6 if it were in 1" scale? We just had a big hullabaloo about buying lava caverns when they were offered already in resin and KS2. Imagine if KS5 and KS6 weren't backwards compatible? That was a big selling point. "We know you just spent a few thousand dollars from us over the past few years and liked what you got, so guess what? We re-engineered KS1 and KS2 and you can buy them all over again as the new stuff is LARGER than your old stuff!" Now THAT sounds like a total money grab. They did it right based on their prior mistakes/decisions, I think.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:30 am

Talistran wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:16 am
period3 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:47 am
Talistran wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:57 pm
I've written before about how much I'd love hewn timber buildings and log buildings added to CBS. Yes, please.

I'd also be in support of 2x2 MBS in Dwarvenite. Good for interior buildings. I often use CBS for a city build and then use dungeon pieces off to the side for the interior of main fights and or objective buildings. I'd love MBS for this too.
if they redo mbs, I hope thy make it on the same true 1 inch scale as cbs. I do not want to fight with aligning any new sets with my streets, for example.
Yep. But then what about my dungeon builds where I want some wood mixed in? First world problems we have right here. ;)

In all seriousness, I REALLY wish that DF would have just bit the bullet and declared KS1 and KS2 to be out of scale from KS3 on.... switched to inches for EVERYTHING. They would have some grief from people invested in resin/KS1/KS2 (heck, I have a bunch), but it would have died down. KS5 and 6 would have been in the current "above ground scale." No matter what anyone claims, my experience has been that the two scales don't match well enough to not be a problem in integrated builds; they throw things off. :(
More like Fantasy world problems ;)

Agree with the scale, but the backlash had they abandoned KSI/II scaling would have been immense, yes it would have died down but not after a lot of vitriol about not being loyal to existing customers etc. Before KSV there was a lot of demand that it be backwards compatible. DF would have lost a lot of customers. So we can see why they didn't.

We wished they had as it was never an issue for us as we did not have any KSI and only got 3 sets of retail Cavern water tiles which we happily mix our with our castle builds.

But it by not doing it keeps it an ongoing issue :(

Could be another reason why negative space is so popular with DF at the moment - you don’t have to worry about scale with those.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Riley
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Riley » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:21 am

Talistran wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:16 am
In all seriousness, I REALLY wish that DF would have just bit the bullet and declared KS1 and KS2 to be out of scale from KS3 on.... switched to inches for EVERYTHING. They would have some grief from people invested in resin/KS1/KS2 (heck, I have a bunch), but it would have died down. KS5 and 6 would have been in the current "above ground scale." No matter what anyone claims, my experience has been that the two scales don't match well enough to not be a problem in integrated builds; they throw things off. :(
Yup. I agree, even though I own lots of resin and KS1/2. Unfortunately that ship sailed a couple years ago.

Oh well.

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:16 am

period3 wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:47 am
Talistran wrote:
I've written before about how much I'd love hewn timber buildings and log buildings added to CBS. Yes, please.

I'd also be in support of 2x2 MBS in Dwarvenite. Good for interior buildings. I often use CBS for a city build and then use dungeon pieces off to the side for the interior of main fights and or objective buildings. I'd love MBS for this too.
if they redo mbs, I hope thy make it on the same true 1 inch scale as cbs. I do not want to fight with aligning any new sets with my streets, for example.
Yep. But then what about my dungeon builds where I want some wood mixed in? First world problems we have right here. ;)

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:47 am

Talistran wrote:

Darksdale
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Darksdale » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:19 pm

Or some options for walls for a manor or mansion interior....

Darksdale
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Darksdale » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:20 pm

While a simple slatted timber is needed for the walls, they can still use the medieval building floors since they have to match up no matter the direction of the wall or corners.

But some other options could be the following....

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”