Interest in Future Sci-Fi Sets?

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Re: Interest in Future Sci-Fi Sets?

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:07 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5P7m3XMq6Q&t=4s

True that all those elements were so great !
So sad DF is locked into Heroic Fantasy for years.
May be one day we'll get more… let's cross fingers.

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:54 am

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:26 am

HeroQuestFrance wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 am
There's a nice Kickstarter that is running. Heroic Fantasy & scifi tiles.
I just spent 200$€ to buy their products walls & tiles.
I will complete my scifi collection and allows me now to get bigger boards to play games like space Hulk, space crusade, the thing, resident evil 2 or Deep Madness.
It's a great alternative to the lack of SF in DF products.
Link? Can't find it. Thanks.

HeroQuestFrance
Ogre
Ogre

Post by HeroQuestFrance » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 am

There's a nice Kickstarter that is running. Heroic Fantasy & scifi tiles.
I just spent 200$€ to buy their products walls & tiles.
I will complete my scifi collection and allows me now to get bigger boards to play games like space Hulk, space crusade, the thing, resident evil 2 or Deep Madness.
It's a great alternative to the lack of SF in DF products.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:13 am

Any funky planar terrain works as sci-fi (Underdark and Hellscape, for example). It does sound like we will get more in KS7.

I agree that one of the central tricks in SF terrain is the lack of an adequate consensus as to the default. With fantasy, a basic flagstone dungeon is an obvious core. It works for a ton of things, and even as “basic dungeon” it’s an agreed-upon iconic basic location. With SF, there is no similar consensus.

That’s why I tried to reduce it to at least a basic three to start with:

1) What DF already did. This placates people who have already invested in that, and additionally happens to be a pretty good look so I’d be happy to see more.

2) Dirty industrial future (see Aliens, Terminator, Battlestar Galactica, Brazil, Mad Max, Geonosis)

3) Clean and smooth future (see Star Trek, Minority Report, Bespin, Kamino).

I realize there’s a ton more (I’d love a SW setting since there are multiple SW minis lines, but licensing issues make that impossible - still, a basic wall and floor pattern of glossy black floors and matte grey walls would be a start!). But this captures at least the spirit of the differences. Put it this way - people who love grungy SF dystopias aren’t going to be able to work with a sleek marble-and-glass set, and people who want a Star Trek-like future era of exploration and innovation won’t want dirty catwalks and exposed wiring. At least they can vaguely meet their needs with this approach, even if it’s impractical to think that specific locations could be done for every iconic SF setting.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:32 am

We would be very interested in Sci Fi terrain :)

We would be particularly interested in space craft internals for boarding action scenarios. We got the FW Realm of Battle Zone Mortalis boards which are great but do not have the level of modularity a DF set would have.

But what style would they go for? there are so many more than for a castle or dungeon.
Law wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:44 am

a) Some planet exterior, let the sculptor’s imagination go wild. Something combining Rick and Morty and Futurama, presumably - giant Dr. Seuss-esque plantlife or rock formations or both.

So we think KS7 will have something along these lines :)

To requote Nate from KS6.66 Update #19:

"Good news - the Dreadportal indeed carried us out of the Nine Hells. However, we've found ourselves in a untamed stretch of forest filled with savage beasts, otherworldly plants, and a mysterious eldritch glow on the horizon. It may be months before we can bushwhack our way back to Valoria.

But rest assured, as soon as we return we will tell you tales of what we have discovered, out here in the Wildlands..."
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:19 am

I am going to start playing Fragged Kingdom soon, a fantasy spin off of Fragged Empire — a SciFi RPG. The story of the fantasy world in FK is that the high tech species decided for some reason to abandon this world, removing all technology and leaving the citizens in a medieval state. Of course, after some decades, the truth is forgotten and the former tech-masters are transformed into gods in the common lore.

Of course, every now and then, the adventurers find some old sacred places with leftovers from those gods — spaceships, Control-centres etc.

I really love that setting. Therefore, I would definitely be in for a room or two, if DF did new SciFi terrain in dwarvenite. But I agree to a few posts before: it should look a bit more old and dirty, rather than start-trek-y.
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

ChrilleT
Goblin
Goblin

Post by ChrilleT » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:33 pm

I jumped on the DF ship later than the majority on this forum so for me there´s a lot of fantasy terrain I would invest in before going in with a larger amount of money on a Sci-fi KS. The majority of the RPG´s I play/DM is also fantasy so would expect Sci-fi terrain getting stored away and be used very rarely. But after so many fantasy Kickstarters I would not be surprised or blame them if they went with a Sci-fitheme soon.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:00 pm

Very little interest for Sci-Fi in my world. But, I guess it would depend on crossover stuff. :?:
It also could be a wonderful time to catch up on some things. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:55 pm

I would not be interested, personally.

There is a lot of competition with 3D prints on this sort of thing, as there is a less organic shape to the pieces. However, if DF did some cool LED work, it could stand out in the crowd.
102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “Sci-Fi Master Maze Products”