Interesting Build Ideas for Lava

patransom
Orc
Orc

Re: Interesting Build Ideas for Lava

Post by patransom » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:52 pm

scott102303 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:07 pm
Does anyone else remember the old AD&D module, A4 In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords? I loved how in that adventure the party was not only dealing with the last of the slave lords, but also having to deal with an erupting volcano. That is one of my visions for this stuff - the party has multiple encounters that also include lava: in forest, city and even in a dungeon. As already said, it can fit anywhere.
Yes! My current group will ultimately be playing A4 (if they live that long). Thanks for the reminder about the erupting volcano. I'll have to keep that in mind when deciding on KS6.66. If DF actually delivers in April 2020, the timing might be just about right...

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Does anyone else remember the old AD&D module, A4 In the Dungeons of the Slave Lords? I loved how in that adventure the party was not only dealing with the last of the slave lords, but also having to deal with an erupting volcano. That is one of my visions for this stuff - the party has multiple encounters that also include lava: in forest, city and even in a dungeon. As already said, it can fit anywhere.

RisingSeraph
Orc
Orc

Post by RisingSeraph » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:34 pm

combs1ng wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:17 pm
realarete wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 pm
gwhansen wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 am

+1 for runehammer on the youtubes. Hankerin has some of the best DM advice
I use set music pieces - this way you get an allotted time interval, theme ( the music) and an unknown length of time for planning by the characters ... better than them staring at an hourglass. I ofc don't use it all the time, but it def adds some tension and pressure.
I like that idea a lot Realarete! Now to Youtube to get some Zelda Forest Temple music...though it is on a 10 hour loop so I may need to cut that down a bit.
That is an excellent idea! And heck if you're a newish DM there's no better place to start than Runehammer.

You could also use the original Super Mario Brothers castle theme - definitely makes me think "fire, lava, oh crap" the second I hear it. Although I doubt it has as much longevity as the Zelda Forest Temple music.

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:17 pm

realarete wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 pm
gwhansen wrote:
combs1ng wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:18 pm

Yep, if you (or anyone else) have ever watched Hankerin Fernale on youtube he mentions this for every one of his encounters. Since I'm a realatively new DM it was most helpful. His DM style is to always have three "Ts" per encounter: Treat, Threat and Timer. The latter being your "hourglass" to keep the party always on the move and guessing. It also keeps them from lingering to do endless searches, etc.
I use set music pieces - this way you get an allotted time interval, theme ( the music) and an unknown length of time for planning by the characters ... better than them staring at an hourglass. I ofc don't use it all the time, but it def adds some tension and pressure.
I like that idea a lot Realarete! Now to Youtube to get some Zelda Forest Temple music...though it is on a 10 hour loop so I may need to cut that down a bit.
"The price of wisdom is eternal thought." - Frank Birch

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:35 pm

gwhansen wrote:
combs1ng wrote:
zenako wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:01 pm
Almost like using an hourglass timer to get the party moving fast and make urgent decisions without tons of optimization debate. I know I could certainly use that at times with my group of players at times.
Yep, if you (or anyone else) have ever watched Hankerin Fernale on youtube he mentions this for every one of his encounters. Since I'm a realatively new DM it was most helpful. His DM style is to always have three "Ts" per encounter: Treat, Threat and Timer. The latter being your "hourglass" to keep the party always on the move and guessing. It also keeps them from lingering to do endless searches, etc.

gwhansen
Goblin
Goblin

Post by gwhansen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 am

combs1ng wrote:
zenako wrote:
Almost like using an hourglass timer to get the party moving fast and make urgent decisions without tons of optimization debate. I know I could certainly use that at times with my group of players at times.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:39 pm

There is always, the knife. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:16 pm

combs1ng wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:36 am
Lava river(s) flows into a city/town, setting the buildings on fire while the heroes approach cautiously. They find no one wandering the town until abruptly, a platoon of magmin ambush the heroes as they rode in under the river, unannounced!
and now i want a lava piece with one square missing so it could rest against the corner of the burning tudor house...
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:18 pm

zenako wrote:

combs1ng
Orc
Orc

Post by combs1ng » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:14 pm

Mobius wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:50 pm
I got an idea from the DF photo of a Dungeon boss chamber using all of the Hellish accessories.
I want to build a similar Hellish Boss Dungeon room with the Howling Devil as the big boss.

During the Epic Battle the Devil Boss would be protected by some Walls of Fire that grant total invulnerability, and it would literally start plane-shifting the chamber to Hell.
Every round more and more of the room’s dungeon tiles would get replaced by Hellscape lava tiles as the chamber slowly shifts to Hell. Of course these tiles will do damage to any hero who needs to go through them – a lot of damage in the case of the actual lava pools.

The heroes would need to:
1) Remove the Devil’s invulnerability by destroying Devil Talismans placed throughout the room
2) Avoid the deadly lava increasingly spawning throughout the room
3) Fight off devlish minions teleported in with the Hellish lava tiles
4) Ultimately defeat the Howling Devil once it’s immunity is destroyed in order to return the chamber to its native plane.
Love it, period!

Return to “Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”