DF's Painted Townspeople!

Please post your thoughts and reviews of our new line of Dwarvenite Game Tiles here.
ChrilleT
Goblin
Goblin

Re: DF's Painted Townspeople!

Post by ChrilleT » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:39 am

Ordered during latest restock and mine are also the same. Was expecting that and did not now at the time that DF had made them with different paint scheme and it would have been a nice surprise if they still did it that way.

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:56 am

It's not ideal, but you could always go over a few of them yourself with a brush to add variation.

Mass produced painted minis are always going to be on the rough side.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:18 am

DFs minis are awful dark in paint. I got the minis sample pack and was a bit disappointed by it.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

gwhansen
Goblin
Goblin

Post by gwhansen » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:01 pm

So i also ordered some townspeople recently thinking they would look like astolats and they look exactly like the ones Timcz83 received (identical to those as far as I can tell). They all kind of look the same and I was disappointed. However, they are (mostly) just for filling in towns and taverns so its hardly the end of the world but still...astolats look so much better :cry:

Timcz83
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Timcz83 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:48 pm
Timcz83 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:33 pm
I actually just got mine, and have to say probably the most disappointing thing I’ve got from DF so far. Each of my pairs are painted the same (which I kind of expected), but they’re all very similar colours - mostly dark greens and brown/cream.

Dunno, I think I was just expecting a bit more. Particularly with the “noble” model.

I would have loved mine to look like astolats ones.
Those are awful :shock: Looking at them closer they look more like they where painted the same but one has a brown wash and one has a black wash on it.
Up close they look pretty much identical. If there is a different wash they’re almost too similar to matter.

Not much I can do about it. Just makes me weary of buying random packs of minis going forward.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:48 pm

Timcz83 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:33 pm
I actually just got mine, and have to say probably the most disappointing thing I’ve got from DF so far. Each of my pairs are painted the same (which I kind of expected), but they’re all very similar colours - mostly dark greens and brown/cream.

Dunno, I think I was just expecting a bit more. Particularly with the “noble” model.

Those are awful :shock: Looking at them closer they look more like they where painted the same but one has a brown wash and one has a black wash on it.

Timcz83
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Timcz83 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:33 pm

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:59 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:46 am
GODofwar wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:16 pm
Oh where to start!?

Making up words again ? 'alphbetinzing'

'any fig can be painted quickly to look decent enough for the wargames table'

So tempting to take umbrage over this casual dismissal of Wargamer painting. But decided it was not meant that way :)
And its true, for arms length viewing, base coats and an Army painter dip style wash does the trick nicely :)
We however want ours to stand up to closer scrutiny, whether we actually achieve that is debateable, but we will spend well over a week painting and basing a single Death Guard squad (roughly 10-15 hours).
Probably because our non-opposable paws make our painting sloppy and we are constantly touching up ;)

If your looking to get shot of some o your minis then I am sure you can clear a few through the forum, while a lot of long timers will have truck loads of their own, there are always those just starting out in the hobby and there may even be a few gems that hardened collectors may go for.
Alphbetinzing - You have any idea how hard it is for a God to keep a decent secretary?? some nonsense about divine aura making their hair all frizzy...

You caught my meaning. I envy good painters but ain't one (def not the God of Art!!) and WG quality is all I can (barely) manage. Fortunately I'm a gamer not a collector. I haven't a Rabbit's patience for spending 1.5 hours on a fig.. more power to you, Rabbit. ANd yes, Army Painter (bless 'em, and I remind the audience they are a British company!) b/c their paints cut the time to make a WG quality unit in HALF, and probagbly by 25% for a single fig...

When I'm done I'l probably publish just to trade.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:46 am

GODofwar wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 pm
Rabbit Burner wrote:
I finally got round to magnetizing/alphbetinzing/cataloging my 25mm figs. Keep in mind we mostly do 15mm and I got into 25 just to have 'a few' for use with DwF when I wanted in-scale ops. I never tracked how many I was getting, just shoved them into parts boxes.

Now they are in my mapcase drawer. I have six drawers (yes, the big map cases). The first drawer, the one I just finished, has about 4-500 figs in it. So I have 2500-3000 figs. FORTUNATELY, lots of civilians. But I could use more of those. Maybe I'll publish my catalog when I get done and link here for trades......mailing 25mm figs is cheap. I've a drawer and a half of NPC-character type figs, and 4 drawers of Monsters. I love the DwF civvies, but truth is, any fig can be painted quickly to look decent enough for the wargames table.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
Oh where to start!?

Making up words again ? 'alphbetinzing'

'any fig can be painted quickly to look decent enough for the wargames table'

So tempting to take umbrage over this casual dismissal of Wargamer painting. But decided it was not meant that way :)
And its true, for arms length viewing, base coats and an Army painter dip style wash does the trick nicely :)
We however want ours to stand up to closer scrutiny, whether we actually achieve that is debateable, but we will spend well over a week painting and basing a single Death Guard squad (roughly 10-15 hours).
Probably because our non-opposable paws make our painting sloppy and we are constantly touching up ;)

If your looking to get shot of some o your minis then I am sure you can clear a few through the forum, while a lot of long timers will have truck loads of their own, there are always those just starting out in the hobby and there may even be a few gems that hardened collectors may go for.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:29 pm

Rabbit Burner wrote:
The DF Townspeople were the first civilians we ever bought and they get used so much :)
We too loved that the paint schemes were different for the same sculpts.

Would be very happy for DF to do more - maybe in the mythical minis KS !?

Our desire is for outdoors civilians, market traders, carvans etc. Appreciate that you RPGers have a need for indoor civilians.
I finally got round to magnetizing/alphbetinzing/cataloging my 25mm figs. Keep in mind we mostly do 15mm and I got into 25 just to have 'a few' for use with DwF when I wanted in-scale ops. I never tracked how many I was getting, just shoved them into parts boxes.

Now they are in my mapcase drawer. I have six drawers (yes, the big map cases). The first drawer, the one I just finished, has about 4-500 figs in it. So I have 2500-3000 figs. FORTUNATELY, lots of civilians. But I could use more of those. Maybe I'll publish my catalog when I get done and link here for trades......mailing 25mm figs is cheap. I've a drawer and a half of NPC-character type figs, and 4 drawers of Monsters. I love the DwF civvies, but truth is, any fig can be painted quickly to look decent enough for the wargames table.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Return to “Kickstarter Game Tiles Feedback”