/holding breath for Dreadhollow

RisingSeraph
Orc
Orc

Re: It’s late July! It’s late July!

Post by RisingSeraph » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:40 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:07 pm
OK here is a fast picture of the Underdoom. It is not unusable I just think the purple is just a little to bright. It is a little brighter in hand than even in this picture. I would have preferred a more black/dark purple as the main color on it.

You were not exaggerating, I'm really sorry it came out like that. I think a strong wash might do the trick like Oldent and John D suggested.

I was also really excited for Underdoom but only bought a couple of painted pieces to use as guidelines to paint the rest after. Instead I'll be trying to tone down my painted pieces and experiment to get unpainted to look more like the KS photos and videos that got me so invested in it. I really feel for those who went all in on a fully painted Underdoom pledge. Hoping DF will reach out with solutions and or the Underdoom painting video gives us a cleaner formula to get it close to the KS colors and fix the factory paint look. I do still love the teal though.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:05 pm

Well that is definitely purple over purplish black. I trust pics so little these days so i hope to see several pictures in different lighting to try and see what it really looks like, but I would not be a fan of that color.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Doleo_DF
Orc
Orc

Post by Doleo_DF » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:15 pm

Perhaps Unclebilly can clarify if the pictures he posted were of factory painted cavern set or if he attempted to paint the underdoom scheme himself.

If Unclebilly painted them I hope he enjoys his set.

If the DwarvenForge factory painted them, I think we have a problem on our hands.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:15 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:31 pm
Maybe DF just need to slow down on how much the try to make each KS. I believe that the factory can not handle all they put on them at once and we as the customer again suffer for it.
I think KS6.66 will be a good indicator if smaller kickstarters help. With each KS since KS3 there has been a major issue.

KS3 - Scalegate (difference between KS3 scale and prior scales)
KS4 - Paint Issue (Some castle pieces had a different paint color than others, and there were 3 different dwarvenite colors) and some fit issues like the Pac-Man piece being warped or the stairs being too tall.
KS5 - Shrine of Sysuul paint scheme was wrong (and the jade pillars, but DF rectified that)
KS6 - Underdoom paint appears to be too purple

They have gotten better if you look at the errors in relation to the # of pieces, though Underdoom may be a whole color scheme. We'll see I guess if it's a bigger issue than the paint mismatch in KS4. Regardless, there is a direct corrolation to how busy the team is and errors that should have been caught (scalegate and KS4 paint being the main ones in my opinion, not counting Underdoom).

With the smaller scales of KS1 and KS2, even with a LOT more backers, there were very minimal issues. All I can think of is that everyone was expecting resin quality paint jobs and we got mass-produced paint jobs. (Which made sense once people thought about it)

I'm hoping that with Hellscape they will have more time to breathe and find the issues that normally have slipped through the cracks. But I also think that will depend on how big and complex they make Wildlands as it will be prepping/happening right when Hellscape QC is likely going on.
Doleo_DF wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:15 pm
Perhaps Unclebilly can clarify if the pictures he posted were of factory painted cavern set or if he attempted to paint the underdoom scheme himself.

If the DwarvenForge factory painted them, I think we have a problem on our hands.
I would bet you a donut he got them prepainted based on his frustration.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:31 pm

Doleo_DF wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:15 pm

These are factory painted ones.

This is a set I painted a few years ago using KS6 tiles. It was my Underdark I would have painted KS6 but I am so far behind on things to paint that I will never get caught up. This is why I buy painted now.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:41 pm

I guess I should also mention in all fairness that KS5 really didn't have too many issues with it. The Shrine of Sysuul paint issue -was- caught by DF. They just dropped the ball on communicating that it was changed. So if you say that wasn't a production error but a PR error, it was much a much better outcome than KS4. (KS3 is similar to KS5 as they knew about the scale change but didn't tell anyone.) Things have been improving since KS4 up until this point and I want to give recognition that it's been noticed.
Last edited by AnimeSensei on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100 Resin and 237 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:41 pm

So I did a fast and dirty set up using some of the stuff from 2 sets. It does not look terrible once you put it all together and is playable but still a little too purple.

3 different shades on the paint jobs.

I do think they will work perfect in case I need make and encounter of The Cave of Barney.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:50 pm

Oh also just wanted to say for the record. I normally would not complain about something as much as this. But, when I drop enough money on something that could have bought a nice used car I expect my moneys worth out of it ;) :D :lol: ;)

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:56 pm

unclebilly wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:50 pm
Oh also just wanted to say for the record. I normally would not complain about something as much as this. But, when I drop enough money on something that could have bought a nice used car I expect my moneys worth out of it ;) :D :lol: ;)
You are more than reasonable.

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”