Wildlands Survey

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Re: Wildlands Survey

Post by Rhizom » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:52 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 am
The Forest Transition Banks are great but it must be pointed out that they are forest transition banks 100%, I can not see using them in any other way IE they are not as versatile as they could be. The forest décor is so heavy on them and right up to the straight back edge, that they will not work up against a mountain tile or city tile very well IMO. Of course they were made to match with the awesomely detailed forest tiles so it makes sense but I do hope DF gives us some nice banks that are made to work with the more barren ground of the mountain tiles.
Since banks are a mega seller as it seems, I am pretty sure that they will give us dedicated banks for all terrain types they come up with in Wildlands.

For the mountains, I still believe that you could use the cavern banks, even though they are a little more greenish.
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 am

The Forest Transition Banks are great but it must be pointed out that they are forest transition banks 100%, I can not see using them in any other way IE they are not as versatile as they could be. The forest décor is so heavy on them and right up to the straight back edge, that they will not work up against a mountain tile or city tile very well IMO. Of course they were made to match with the awesomely detailed forest tiles so it makes sense but I do hope DF gives us some nice banks that are made to work with the more barren ground of the mountain tiles.

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Post by Rhizom » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:06 am

@93x74R, I have the feeling that you missed that DF introduced forest banks in the CD pledge manager. Right?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cNfKJSGcS7LnZxwK6

Because these banks fulfill everything you are looking for.
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:02 am

gwhansen wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:24 pm
I play 5e and agree that the bow distance is reasonable. I need terrain for a 2x4 play space (got to leave some room on the edge of the table for character sheets, books, dice and beer).

Scatter terrain that creates full or partial cover is ideal! We will see how the escarpments and the dreadhollow tiles work in conjunction with my erinthor. I have to say that I am really excited for wildlands as I find outdoor encounters fun.
What I like about outdoor encounters is they can use almost any monster. Want to use something gargantuan? No problem! There is enough suspension of disbelief in RPGs already without trying to justify a 40 foot wide monster getting through a series of 10 foot wide corridors and doors to get into a cavern 100 feet underground. The real bad asses are found out in the open where they fit and still have room to maneuver. I agree 2x4 can handle most encounters but for truly epic battles the books and beer go on side tables. Hopefully we get larger pieces that work just like the trifecta pieces from Caverns Deep so we can get away for the square forests of the Dreadhollow. The design team did a great job of making more natural cave curves and elevation changes in Caverns Deep. Now we need the same thing for the edges of copse of Dreadhollow woods.

gwhansen
Goblin
Goblin

Post by gwhansen » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:24 pm

I play 5e and agree that the bow distance is reasonable. I need terrain for a 2x4 play space (got to leave some room on the edge of the table for character sheets, books, dice and beer).

Scatter terrain that creates full or partial cover is ideal! We will see how the escarpments and the dreadhollow tiles work in conjunction with my erinthor. I have to say that I am really excited for wildlands as I find outdoor encounters fun.

93x74R
Orc
Orc

Post by 93x74R » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:18 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:46 am
Then do not play 3E. They had realistic ranges for longbows and no on and I mean no one could afford that distance of tiles. Even negative space with decent scatter terrain would be a lot.
What I hope DF will provide on this one is both scatter terrain and signature pieces that provide cover/a place for horrible monsters to lurk within a more open terrain layout. I don't need, and certainly could not afford, grasslands/forest floor tiles to cover a 4'x8' table. I just need cool pieces to set the mood and enhance the playing experience. We are not really talking about negative space, more like islands of DF pieces on a large table. Tape measures work fine for the longer ranges so you don't need a contiguous 1 inch grid.

The effective combat range of longbows is a whole other discussion for a different board. I don't think 5e is too out of line.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:46 am

Then do not play 3E. They had realistic ranges for longbows and no on and I mean no one could afford that distance of tiles. Even negative space with decent scatter terrain would be a lot.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

gwhansen
Goblin
Goblin

Post by gwhansen » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:10 am

93x74R wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:59 pm
. I specifically asked for and want to make outdoor terrain that exceeds the standard 120 foot 5e range.
This 100%...I need my PCs to be 'out of range' on some encounters!

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:43 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:26 pm
24 is sure impressive

So, a big table, or a small living room floor?
Table, but all 24 still only covers 24"x64" so it is not that big of a table.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:26 pm

24 is sure impressive

So, a big table, or a small living room floor?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 7 Discussion”