Did Caverns Deep really have the basic needs?

Rhizom
Orc
Orc

Re: Did Caverns Deep really have the basic needs?

Post by Rhizom » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:37 pm

This is why I thought from the beginning: I am very glad that I have enough coverage from KS2 (actually bought afterwards). I tried to concentrate on add-on pieces, mostly for negative space builds, elevation and passages, in KS6. And on forest, of course. And on some variation for walls and floors. Well, that went to $7K, anyway, so in the end I think I also have enough basic pieces.

But still: I think, I will still build the core of my caverns with KS2 and use KS6 only to make everything even prettier. Building with KS2 is much faster and more straightforward, and I sometimes really do not have time for planning a build over weeks between sessions. Apropos planning: for KS2 I can plan on the paper, because it is easy enough with everything apart from narrow passages being 2x2 grid. Try to plan your KS6 build on a paper. I bet you will fail.

So I agree to the original post: KS6 is for shenanigans, KS2 is for basic building. But I think this is totally ok, because KS2 is still available and still beautiful.
Rhizom, Creeping Rootstalks of Valoria

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:27 pm

I've been playing with encounters 1 & 3 this morning, and came here to make a similar post to the OP, but in a different direction. Compared to DoD 'basic' encounters, and the KS 1 & 2 basic pledge assortment, its much harder to free build. There's typically not enough floors/walls to go around. There's typically not enough copies of anything. I like the swell walls, but often you need significantly more if you start using them. You start needing many more 1x2s to fill. Problems like the starter set having 2 swell rights and no swell lefts (since they are trifecta). The proportions of the sets feel off to me. (Now I'm backing for a LOT and once I have all my shipments, I won't have a problem; but I think it will be a problem for people who are just dabbling in Cavern's Deep.) When giving advice to people just starting out, I think we'll need to be careful to steer clear of encounters -- unlike DoD that had a lot of good first purchase recommendations among the encounters.

Trifecta's are also proving to be a bit more hassle then they're worth for me. I am knocking the walls over while building if they aren't on a terrain tray. Even in a mix of parts from just two sets, finding the matching pair of pieces can be annoying.

I'll need to go back and watch some of the videos again, since my efforts to recreate some of things I think I remembered such as using the corner entrance to make a Y-intersection ended up with back-side voids that can't be filled that are part of one of the arms. And other places where things that looked like they should work together don't.

NiandoBG
Ogre
Ogre

Post by NiandoBG » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:47 am

Arbados wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:24 am
The reason I ask is as I was building a cavern setting for my game tonight I thought "wow when I get my Caverns Deep order I'll have so much more diversity to add for the walls and floors."

In saying that I excitedly looked over the KS'er to see what I'd ordered and noticed "there wasn't really much offered in this regard". I'm talking about basic building pieces (floors and walls) which to me are MOST important. All the extras are nice for those that want and have the space to store, but I'm interested in simply adding diversity to my walls and floor caverns. Did I miss something in the KS'er that simply offered new wall and floor pieces? I know it's a little late for me to do anything about it now but I'm still curious as I need more diversity to my cavern floors and especially WALLS!
IMO it depends what you pledged for.

If your main pledge is adventure essential than your are right you will get a very limited number of walls and some floors.

As Kodiakbear mentions the cool stuff are the Trifecta pieces (some said they are to expensive..) and all the big pieces. Here Caverns Deep really shines and make a difference on your table.

I pledge an Adventure Essential 1-11 but I‘m happy that I bought a lot of Add-ones e.g. all passage stuff and a trifecta set and of course: banks.

That might be the other great improvement to KS 2.
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:30 am

Plus I plan to use the passage intersection in some room builds with the piece on the right as a column.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:22 am

I think it did

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Did Caverns Deep really have the basic needs?

Post by Arbados » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:24 am

The reason I ask is as I was building a cavern setting for my game tonight I thought "wow when I get my Caverns Deep order I'll have so much more diversity to add for the walls and floors."

In saying that I excitedly looked over the KS'er to see what I'd ordered and noticed "there wasn't really much offered in this regard". I'm talking about basic building pieces (floors and walls) which to me are MOST important. All the extras are nice for those that want and have the space to store, but I'm interested in simply adding diversity to my walls and floor caverns. Did I miss something in the KS'er that simply offered new wall and floor pieces? I know it's a little late for me to do anything about it now but I'm still curious as I need more diversity to my cavern floors and especially WALLS!

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”