Darkhollow review

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Darkhollow review

Post by GardenDM » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:36 pm

My DH arrived today and I hope to play with them tonight, but perhaps you can enlighten me in advance: have you seen a need or benefit of a "half-height" escarpment? It seems like this would allow for little raised areas in the forest without going quite as far as a full height escarpment. Plus, it could potentially allow more options for "rolling hills" or other more gradual escalation variations. Perhaps something we might see in KS7?

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:29 am

Talistran wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:25 am
dice4hire wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:42 am
Foam blocks?
My foam blocks from you were practically worthless with DH
Yeah, that 2” height doesn’t work with escarpments at all.

I’m looking at 6”x6” as the minimum sized piece, and probably will do some 6x12” and 12x12” as well.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:40 am

astolat wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:20 am
Law, I am going to risk being that person who ruins the joke but, is it on purpose at this point, or have you just typed it so many times that it's made it impossible for your own brain to notice? Speaking as someone who still pronounces paladin incorrectly about 50% of the time, I feel that's plausible. :P

Also I completely agree with your review and cannot wait to see your pics!
Hahahhah - I’ll be honest, it’s like 50/50. My son corrected me like 20 times over the weekend. 😀

Talistran
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Talistran » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:25 am

dice4hire wrote:
Foam blocks?
My foam blocks from you were practically worthless with DH

astolat
Orc
Orc

Post by astolat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:20 am

Law, I am going to risk being that person who ruins the joke but, is it on purpose at this point, or have you just typed it so many times that it's made it impossible for your own brain to notice? Speaking as someone who still pronounces paladin incorrectly about 50% of the time, I feel that's plausible. :P

Also I completely agree with your review and cannot wait to see your pics!

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:04 am

dice4hire wrote:
Foam blocks?
Believe me I have been tempted, but those also add to storage concerns.

Also there are many spots I can envision where blocks might not fit, unless I start cutting them down a lot. Especially with the 3" modularity of DH

For example:
Attachments
Ridge line
Ridge line
Ridge line.jpg (5.98 KiB) Viewed 183 times

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:02 am

The stilts! Yeah - aside - I found that I didn’t use them too often for Caverns Deep. I use them all the time in Darkhollow.

For CD, I tried using stilts and trays but I hate the look of exposed tray around a build. So I started using KS2 elevation cubes to support higher levels.

With Darkhollow, the stilts make more sense. Since we’re talking about 6x6 tiles, instead of a complex combination of 2x2, 1x2, 1x1, swell walls and trifecta pieces - you don’t need the trays and can just use stilts under the tiles directly. You only need four per huge expanse. And the escarpments are so fundamental to what I’ve done so far - much of the time I want to use at least one elevated tile on the higher level.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:51 am

Great review, can't wait for the pictures... a bit giddy. :mrgreen: : ;)

Everyone else who has posted pictures have done an excellent job showing different layouts. Didn't think this set was going to be so versatile, you may have changed my mind. If I did pull the trigger on a full or partial forest floor with or without escarpments, the realization in your picture tests has convinced me to go a bit on the heavy forest side for the sake of seeing multiple trees in each picture. Thanks for that note. :)

I will have to really resit this one in the store when they arrive, besides I have to wait and see what KS-7 brings first.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:45 am

I’m with you on the sculpting details. Noticed the other day (for the first time) a small turtle in one of the tiles. Still finding bits here and there.

I got two full encounters plus several escarpment add ons - both straights and corners. Will be fun to do multilevel layouts.

I am going to do something more stable for support (instead of the columns/pillars). Since they are 1.5” height I should be able to find dimensional lumber (or better yet hard foam) and make some raised spacers with a solid surface.

It would be nice if KS7 gives us some compatible variations.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:42 am

Foam blocks?
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”