GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: ROTA ruins in Dreadhollow

Post by GardenDM » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:55 am

pacarat wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:09 am
I love my ROTA... :)

Ha! I was just coming back with a follow-up post to those goading me to get ROTA 2 to say that "thank you, but I'll stick with my single box of ROTA 1" and saw your build. And now I'm thinking: "if I got more ROTA (1&2), I could probably ditch those Egyptian tiles I picked up off eBay and save some space in my Alex...ROTA isn't exactly Egyptian, but could sub in for many types of ancient, advanced civilization and frankly looks sooooo much better...."

Darn, I think I've caught the ROTA-20 virus and the only cure is more ROTA! :lol:

And, absolutely beautiful build, BTW.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:18 am

Rabbit! love that build p-rat :)

Our beautiful city did not stay that way :(

Link to our first forum picture post for our first CBS build - rather than highjack this thread ;)

Urrghh! its a link to our old Photobucket account, really dislike photobucket, slow and clunky.

Much prefer flickr - so here is a link to the Flickr album of out first CBS build - in fact our first DF build :)
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:56 am

pacarat wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:09 am

:shock:
That is awesome!!!!

The mountain pieces... the ROTA tower... the overgrowth... impressive!

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:09 am

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:44 am

That is a beautiful city! As much as I’ve loved castles and the DoD and CD and DH, the city set is the one set I would always be happy to get more from. I was SO PSYCHED for it, I’ve taken it back out probably more often than any other set since its debut, and I’ve even watched “Calling all gamers” on YouTube fairly often since the campaign ended. I would love to see another extension for it beyond the little tease we got with Castles.

As for ROTA - I agree that it doesn’t need to sprawl. It’s one of those sets that works best in limited amounts because it does get repetitive. For me, sets like ROTA and DOE and Catacombs are best in small amounts because you can’t really distinguish between areas. No “room” really has a purpose which means after three or four of then you can probably stop. It’s not like dungeons where you can always come up with some new encounter in every space.

That said, people should be aware just how small the intro set is. It gives you two of the 4x4” squares that can serve as either rooms or passages, plus I believe 8 corners and 8 walls, plus some floors and three short corridors. That’s enough for a decent handful of rooms but not a sprawling space. If you just want a taste of it, it’s perfect. With two sets, you now have four of those cool squares, so you can make more interesting arrangements or stack them and so on. But honestly it might be TOO much if you’re not looking for a full dungeon.

Now that time has passed I can look back at the resin offerings and say ROTA is probably my favorite. It’s not quite as versatile as the dungeons, but the dungeons are somewhat simple on their own. They do look awesome with the Wicked pieces, though. It’s a close tie. But catacombs, MBS, DoE, even caverns - I think ROTA wins. It’s just beautiful.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:33 am

Fabulous build again Law :)
Loving the pesky Skinks.

RotA is the only resin set that tempts us, we got to see some in the flesh last year and it is gorgeous. But our use for it would be limited. And while this setup is amazing we can't help thinking it would look even better if it was ruined :)

Maybe RotA style ruins will appear in Wildlands!

But we will not pay Ebay prices to get RotA1 we do not want it that much, especially, as pointed out here, you really need 2!

Unlike most here, we did not pick up our first DF in small batches. We went in ears first on the CBS KS (3) sinking many $'s into that kickstarter and got this much:

We tend too try to get all we need in the KS as buying from the store gets expensive with increase SKU price (compared to KS prices), shipping and then customs charges.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:23 pm

The walls with hidden swivel doors are the cats pajamas, too.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:14 pm

I really prefer the second set for all the goodies that really flesh out the builds. I think I'm 2x #1 and 3x #2, but still want another #2. So to each his own. Oh, I also have one of the custom 4x4 intersections too.
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:08 pm

I understand from all the long time DF builders the perfect RoTA ratio is 2ea of the first set & 1ea of the second set.

Yes I am being evil here. :twisted:

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:30 pm

You should get a RotA-2 the're listed in the web store. The stairs are top notch. ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Return to “Kickstarter 6 Discussion”