BEHIND THE SCENES

Knightess JenneyOC will keep you up-to-date on the latest Dwarven Forge Wildlands Kickstarter developments here! This is a read-only forum.
JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

BEHIND THE SCENES

Post by JenneyOC » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:00 am

Q: For the Twitch Stream Opening: anyone have the song name?
A: The music is from Battlebards; 'Prayer Eternal' from their Dwarf Temple tracks

-----

Q: Will we get to “meet the sculpture artists” events?
A: Yes! Next week I think.

-----

Q: So, we had a discussion last night about your kickstarters and all that you have done and the question came up... Where in the heck do you store all of those molds that you've made over these past, what, 7 KickStarters? Well obviously in a warehouse in China, but man, that must be a very large amount of space. It would be pretty cool to see where all those molds rest while waiting to be called forth again.

A: (Stefan) I have been to the factory and YES! The moulds are huge and taking up lots of space! They beg us to retire the ones we don’t use so they can be melted down...but we resist! We hope! They are heavy AF too! Cranes are needed to move them around!

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: BEHIND THE SCENES

Post by JenneyOC » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:17 pm

Q: What is the difference between Wyverstone and Dwarvenite?

A: (Nate) I haven’t figured out all the properties of wyverstone. It attracts demonic magic. Wyverstone can be destroyed. It can be shattered. It is more of a crystal (obsidian meets quartz) It is full of magic energy. Dwarvenite can be mined and is indestructible. You can mine dwarvenite in ways you can’t with wyverstones.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:32 am

Q: for those of us who love your product and want to run games for our players remotely, a tutorial on set up (hardware, software, lighting) would be awesome. You always manage to put it together so well. I know the live game was mostly vorpal board, but what additional software (other than twitch) were you using (if any). What sort of microphones/cameras do you use (I know VB is phone camera friendly, but is that all you use or do you use something like a logitech cs922)?

A: (Chris) So, here's how we ran the game:

First off, our graphics team made graphics to place on the screen. They made the windows with player names on them, the logo, etc. Those were then uploaded into Vorpal Board. VB has a hotkey system where you can swap to different layouts by hitting the number keys, so before the game I lined up everybody's cameras and windows to reflect the different setups (RPG/no terrain, everybody with terrain, and then a close-up for each player) and saved them all to hotkeys.

From there, I was capturing it in OBS, which is the actual streaming software. The OBS job was actually pretty simple, since I was doing all the 'scene' changes in Vorpal it was mostly just showing the Vorpal screen. The exception being when we would go to one of the cutscenes or when we went on break, that was a change in OBS.

I was doing the music through Battlebards; they have a music streaming option on their site, so I made a playlist of songs that we needed ahead of time (and put a few in there for safety, mostly to shake up battle music if it was feeling repetitive) and switched that through there. The players can be sent an invite to join the playlist and hear the music you're playing as well. In addition to that, the winds that you were hearing through the whole game were a separate audio track that I was playing nonstop through OBS so I could layer the music on top.

As far as microphones, we had a lavalier on Nate (can't remember the model off the top of my head) so we wouldn't lose him when he went walking off around the table; for most of the streams where we're staying in one place, we use AT-2020's. They're fairly cheap (about $100) but only pick up what's close to them and in really good quality, so we get to avoid a lot of background noise and sound professional on a budget. I'm not sure what mics the players were using.

Outside of the Pixel 3 that we use for streaming the terrain (mounted on an arm that we also put on a rolling tripod so it could be moved around dynamically) we used a webcam for Nate; we usually use Logitechs, though they got hard to find when the pandemic hit so we also have a few off brand ones around the office now.

I think that's everything; Vorpal Board wasn't initially designed to stream RPGs but they're wonderfully accommodating and worked hard to help us pull these games off, and I don't think we could do it with other software. We didn't even get to show off all the features; you can bring in assets for spell effects and the like. It was initially designed for board games, so it has a whole system for reading cards and bringing in items. I hope that explains everything, but if not I'm happy to answer more questions.

-----

Q: Is Vorpal Board available for the general public yet? I looked at it hard during the KS, but that was pre pandemic and decided that the focus was too board game specific for my needs and took a pass on it. Hindsight and pandemics are proving me wrong obviously. I see that they have an option for late backers, but is DF a super beta tester or is it open for downloads yet?

A: (Chris) It comes out of Beta next month, I believe, but they're still letting people buy in right now as well because of the pandemic.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:33 am

Q: the waterfall cut out escarpment... what is the thought process behind it? (It’s an odd looking piece, is it just for stability. Why was it designed the way that it is?)

A: We showed the waterfall design process on On The Anvil over the course of 4-5 episodes. We will show it off in detail in a forthcoming Waterfalls Hands-On Demo video

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:17 am

How much do you sculptors know what the factory needs to make a mold? Or do you just rely on the factory to tell you?

A: Typically we hear back feedback from the factory, but each of the sculptors has been here long enough to have an understanding of what makes a mold more complex than other

-----

Q: Why does the factory push back? As your customer, why would they not do everything you desire with exceptional customer service, and simply tell you what can't be done do to limitations?

A: hey have reason that are more limiting logistically. They understand artistry is important, but need to approach it analytically and with logistics in mind.

-----

Q: Do the sculptors create their own concept art? Is it in color?
A: We have a summit where all the artists provide inspiration and concept art!

-----

Q: What professional are training do Nina, Elye and Michelle have?
A: They are mostly self taught.

-----

Q: How is sculpting with social distancing different for you?

A: Its really not for Michelle and Elye. But for Nina it was the most change. She is the only one that is in NY and needed to pack up her stuff and go work at home. It really sucked at home. But it became a good thing for distractions. It helps her stay on task and focus in. The bad part is it is sad and sucks. She can work through the night without worrying about getting home safely. They all miss all being in the space together for inspiration and cross-pollination of ideas. Give feedback to each other. Nate thrives on that, so it can be hard isolated.

-----

Q: How many pieces were created prior to planning/launch.

A: There are several pieces extra from dreadhollow, and some really created before the actual plan. The greater plan was sketched out shortly after KS6.

-----

Q: what is the process for deciding who sculpts what? Are people assigned a biome, or specific types of sculpts?

A: Some of it is bandwidth, some of it is specialty, some of it is decided by the goup. Michelle was in the ruins, Elye was in the Trees. Nina crossed most styles. There is a lot of blurring and passing of the sculpts around. They all touched all biomes. What they each are excited about, keeping things similar in style.

-----

Q: Just how much was cut due to factory limitations? And what won't be able to be recycled, like the swamp grass/cattails?

A: (Nate) I don't know, we’ve got at least 30 pieces in the freezer, maybe more. We don’t have a full accounting.

-----

Q: After hand sculpting, do you then laser scan them in for ease of technical replication? Or are the metal molds created through impression?

A: The clay sculpts are sent to the factory and made through impression of the clay!

-----

Q: What's the oldest piece you have had to hold back that you're most wanting to bring to a future kickstarter?

A: Record has to go to Elye’s drawbridge. Necro-drawbridge was originally sculpted for Castles, but was held onto until the Hellgate in Hellscape. The Kree Queen needs to come out. But need bigger burrows. Double-wide burrows. Other things that have been held include: Ruins, Water tiles, and roads.

JenneyOC
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by JenneyOC » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:38 pm

Q: One of their main sculptors for “Wildlands” is married to a botanist and they live in the woods. What an aligning of the moons for DF and for us.

A: (Elye) Yeah that's me... I've kind of been prepping all my life to sculpt Wildlands. I enjoyed Dreadhollow so much, and getting to do an even bigger wilderness set was a dream come true.

-----

Q: How many copies of each piece get made in preparation for a kickstarter?

A: It’s a complicated answer. With other KSer it might be more precise, but this is a pandemic. The factory couldn’t print all the pieces we need. So we had to cast a bunch in house. (Hamster) I don’t always keep track, but it is always just a lot and pretty much all of the biggest builds use almost all of what we have.

Return to “Codex Valoria Wildlands”