Forums not working

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Forums not working

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:44 pm

I've tried with both firefox and chrome, but when I try to upload a picture all I get is a popup box with the word "error" in it and nothing else. Anyone else had this problem?
102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

pacarat
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by pacarat » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:57 pm

I'm still experiencing the issue where my posts in a thread are all greyed out, so as to be unreadable. Where I quote someone, that text area is clear, with no grey overlay/backfill.

dragonlady
Goblin
Goblin

Post by dragonlady » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:35 pm

Yeah, probably a good idea to get the forum birthing pains out before any new KS hits the shelves.
It is good to see the forums back.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:15 am

As happens far too often, I'm re-reading my post and it might come across as dismissive of the efforts from the new developers. The stuff I'm writing is not intended to come across as such. I'm at the tail-end of a huge redesign of our hospital's website that was almost 10 years old when I came on board at the hospital and has taken us about a year and a half to do; In other words, I can appreciate the amount of work the new developers have done to add a new store to the site, update it for modern browsers, and add a new forum which includes the difficulty of moving content over from one one database to another... or maybe the most difficult part is yet to come by making changes to it to keep it familiar for DF's forumites. ;-)
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

jchunick
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jchunick » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:58 am

jackattack wrote:The old website software was basically just old. Newer software (including various operating systems) is not fully compatible with it, and interacting with them was potentially damaging the website archives (in the form of randomly lost posts and pictures).

Apparently, the more bells and whistles you add to a website (silly things like buttons in convenient places, neat orderly lists for sub forums, pleasing backgrounds and high-contrast color choices) the less stable it becomes. Think of the most complicated, highly formatted Word document you've ever had to edit -- even a minor change can screw the whole thing up unless you do it exactly the right way. Now throw in having to make the website look right on at least five major web browsers, then having to go back and make it look right on tablets (eagerly waiting for that) and smartphones without making it go wonky on the systems it has already been formatted for.

This is not to say that I don't want the new website to emulate the old one as much as possible. But I mostly get why it might not.
:D

I'm sure the custom additions to this new forum will come in time. PHPBB is not the most fun to work with, but styles are rather arbitrary to change so this is something that I'm sure the new web developer will implement. It's always best to install something new with it's default settings, in this case get the content moved over and make sure it's all moved over properly then start tweaking things.

In fact, if you know a bit of CSS and HTML you can tweak the styles yourself to see how it will look with a different colour scheme by right-clicking in any modern browser and selecting the 'Inspect Element' or equivalent option from the context menu that comes up. It'll then open the developer tools and allow you to select HTML elements to which you can add temporary CSS styling to.

The buttons most of us are familiar with are fairly arbitrary to add as well because they're static and don't require any coding or logic beyond doing something when clicked.... the code might look something like this:

<a href="search.php?search_id=newposts" class="some-button-style-class">Recent Posts</a>
If you aren't gaming then you aren't living.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:37 am

This is teething before the KSIII.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm old too Dandare... slowly trying to make friends with the new forums, but i miss the old one

it is not just familiarity either - i have revently started frequentiing the Reaper forums and i find them much more intuitive than our new forum

still once everyone finds their way back and we have more exciting things to talk about than scaling our avatars i expect we will all get used to this forum very quickly

bring on the mayhem that is KS3
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

jackattack
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by jackattack » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:54 am

The old website software was basically just old. Newer software (including various operating systems) is not fully compatible with it, and interacting with them was potentially damaging the website archives (in the form of randomly lost posts and pictures).

Apparently, the more bells and whistles you add to a website (silly things like buttons in convenient places, neat orderly lists for sub forums, pleasing backgrounds and high-contrast color choices) the less stable it becomes. Think of the most complicated, highly formatted Word document you've ever had to edit -- even a minor change can screw the whole thing up unless you do it exactly the right way. Now throw in having to make the website look right on at least five major web browsers, then having to go back and make it look right on tablets (eagerly waiting for that) and smartphones without making it go wonky on the systems it has already been formatted for.

This is not to say that I don't want the new website to emulate the old one as much as possible. But I mostly get why it might not.
Favorite Pieces: Chasms, 45 Degree Passages, River & Lava Banks, Ledges, Large Curved Walls, Elevation Arch

dandare
Ogre
Ogre

Post by dandare » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:37 am

I must be (ok... actually am) old.

I do not feel the new Forum is as user friendly as the old forums.... and my main reason to post my grumbles is that I can not see any advantages... Why was it changed ?
(I understand that it was transferred and re-hosted etc etc, better servers etc etc)
But why all the other minor changes that just do not seem to add anything ?

ObLaDi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ObLaDi » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:22 pm

You can manage the sort order by clicking on the menu on the top right and selecting User Control Panel. Then find the Board Preferences > Edit display options. I like to see new posts first so I set my Display post order direction to Descending.
Attachments
sort.jpg
sort.jpg (303.77 KiB) Viewed 8732 times

Return to “Website Feedback”