Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Re: Leaked Photo #2

Post by Smogma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:43 pm

FelixDraconis wrote: work with... presumably, a specially made rounded wall section... specialized pieces that only work in a single predefined setting.
I'm going to make an educated guess that these stairs are made to fit (both height and curvature) the rounded tower wall pieces we have already seen. Probably they hug the wall when placed either inside or outside of the rounded tower.

Doesn't mean you couldn't put them in a dungeon... but yeah, they certainly aren't 2"x2" tiles.

FelixDraconis
Goblin
Goblin

Post by FelixDraconis » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:07 pm

Smogma wrote:
FelixDraconis wrote: work with... presumably, a specially made rounded wall section... specialized pieces that only work in a single predefined setting.
I'm going to make an educated guess that these stairs are made to fit (both height and curvature) the rounded tower wall pieces we have already seen. Probably they hug the wall when placed either inside or outside of the rounded tower.

Doesn't mean you couldn't put them in a dungeon... but yeah, they certainly aren't 2"x2" tiles.
I'd be ecstatic (& relieved) if they were a 90 degree rotation across a 6"x6" area. Then I could put it on top of base dungeon/cavern/floor tiles and have it line up with something 4" or 6" high (2 or 3 tiles worth).

Mostly I don't want to start collecting non modular sets of terrain. I think I'd be done as a collector if we transitioned to that. As nice as that might look. And it does look nice!

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:19 pm

FelixDraconis wrote:Mostly I don't want to start collecting non modular sets of terrain. I think I'd be done as a collector if we transitioned to that. As nice as that might look. And it does look nice!
I can understand and relate to that. I wasn't into CBS myself. Like you, I prefer the "2D" 2x2 tile system of Dungeons & Caverns to the "3D" systems like City Builder and Castles. Of course, the 3D tiles look great as dioramas and in pictures, but for play... I'm happiest sticking with the 2x2 tiles.

I think KS4 will have enough to support the older sets to keep us happy. Sewers turned out great, even though I was worried it would be a pain with all the smaller pieces.

lostpict
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by lostpict » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:26 pm

It's nice to have both. I love the 4x4 CBS compared to MBS, much prefer the resin 4x4 caverns to the newer KS2 caverns, and the other 4x4 parts of DOE, ROTA, etc. Long may each format wave.
Last edited by lostpict on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

LostPict, Lord High Undertaker of Valoria
Little Men blog - sfdfsfd.wordpress.com

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:41 pm

Can't be both interior and exterior curve. In order to do that the stairs would need to be crescent shaped. These definitely look tapered towards the top which makes more sense.
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Jonathan
Orc
Orc

Post by Jonathan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:47 pm

The stairs get wider as they go down, so the inner curve is a tighter angle than the outer curve. One reason for this may be so that the same piece could be used in different areas.

If this piece was used as inside stairs, it would be within a much wider tower than a tower where the piece would fit as outer stairs.

There may be two sizes of round tower. A wider, "big room" tower, and a narrower "wizard's laboratory" tower.

On the other hand, it may just be wider at the bottom of the stairs for balance, and narrower at the top so that the floor above doesn't need a big hole for the stairwell.

Smogma
Orc
Orc

Post by Smogma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:02 pm

Do they really get more narrow towards the top or is that just an optical illusion due to the angle of the picture?
Last edited by Smogma on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:04 pm

Jonathan wrote: There may be two sizes of round tower. A wider, "big room" tower, and a narrower "wizard's laboratory" tower
Good point... Again my rigid linear thinking
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Audles
Ogre
Ogre

Post by Audles » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:00 pm

I'm super happy about these stairs. I like this quite a bit! Echo some sentiment on new stonework vs KS1 and KS3 stonework, but that's pretty minor. Plus not everything needs to look the same - it's good to have some varying architectural points I suppose!

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter News”