Help representing a few themes

Do you have a question or a suggestion about how to best utilize Dwarven Forge's products? Please post it here.
GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Help representing a few themes

Post by GODofwar » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:42 am

Ask 'why' - Why are the builders suddenly digging deeper? They are in a hurry...but maybe they need some protection WHILE they are trying to reach their goal...

ONe way to show hurried is to add balsa wood, painted or left as isto look like raw-cut lumber , cut and glued or pinned into U-shapes the size of your rough cavern tunnels...roof supports. No time to make nice tunnels wiht self- supporting arches.

Part way down the 'hurried' section have a secret door to a side chamber, maybe cavern but with nicely finished floor and your painted dais and a few other items...a temple to their gods.

TLW
WeaselWarGod

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:51 am

Thematically one thing that would impact gameplay the most would the condition of the floors. Going from a smooth finished surface with no impact to more rough terrain floors that are "difficult" terrain would provide a tangible effect. Using mountains as walls would be a good way to show really rough construction, and you could even use some of those mountainsides as floors for the passageways. The "straight cliff sections for example. I own very very little Resin so no help there for use options.

If you have any castles you could create a region of the complex that uses those walls. They tend to be even more refined than dungeon walls. If you have DoD sets, including the Jade Temple, that would readily stand in for a portion that was over the top ornate and decorated.

From Jade to Mountains in one easy quest.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:33 am

I would just use KS1 from a central point and switch to caverns as you get farther away from the access area - don't forget the cool mine archway from KS2 - this is a good way to transition from worked stone to natural cavern
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:43 pm

Thought about Erinthor Mountains as roughly carved caverns? Maybe those and a few ruins to show both tunneling and construction didn't finish?
106 Resin and 159 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

nielsene
Orc
Orc

Help representing a few themes

Post by nielsene » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:21 pm

I'm trying to assemble a few related layouts, but have a bit of a difficult coming up with how to potray the differences effectively.

Working on a "deep dungeon" type side-quest location. Got a history worked out, with the architects oscilliating at times between grandiose presentation and frenzied "must dig deeper", and more neutral standard dungeon.

Feel like I can do DoD w/ or w/o marble sections to hit the grandiose sections, KS1/Resin for the standard dungeons. I can potentially work in DoE for one segment that's been overrun/colonized for long enough.

But I'm a bit at a loss for the "frenzied construction" regions -- I can do a bit of interspersing natural caverns with dungeons for a look of capitalizing on natural openings, but it doesn't feel quite right. Likewise I could use ruins, to indicate shoddier construction. Combined it might work. Wondering if anyone has other thoughts on ways to tackle this?