Post by Arbados » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:17 am

@ GODofwar:

PM sent. Thanks.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: How Long Does it Go On?

Post by GODofwar » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:39 pm

Damn, Arbados, I just came back from a buying trip and saw a great figure of a Greek or Roman woman (probably Roman as Greek women did not take part in symposia) reclining on a classic divan. It was at The Source in St. Paul, but darned if I can remember the name of the company.

PM me your email and I'll check it out.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Arbados
Orc
Orc

Post by Arbados » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:12 am

The Game will go on! I have no doubt about that! The simple longevity of D&D is amazing branching off to Pathfinder as well. To me this will be similar with DF and other terrain companies.

I do wonder about the material being used for products. Most companies now ship me terrain pieces made of simple plastic (don't know exactly what it is but it's a light weight plastic). I haven't received a resin piece in over a year and although I loved resin the plastic is well appreciated and expected now. The first time I received this plastic crap I was up in arms but I've now realized this is the way of future and in truth it works just fine and I sort of like it better (not as delicate, lighter and although ALWAYS requires a primer - just as easy to paint). It's also much cheaper than resin stuff.

So I have the same question about terrain. When will or may this light-weight material come to terrain? DF is awesome with it's heavy-duty feel but maybe this is NOT the way of the future? Just thinking!

EDIT: Does anyone know where I can find good terrain pieces for a COUCH or DIVAN? I'm struggling to find such pieces!

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:27 am

zenako wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:02 pm

So folks reading this reminiscence portion of this thread, gaming can go on and on and on and on, so we all have hopes for DF to go on and on and on !
Well, exactly. I actually don't consider it a derail, but a testament to how enduring our hobby is. From old hands discovering that new horizons still await them, to new players discovering a rewarding and respected gaming experience that has (and will) survive in a changing world.
From our discussions of honored hobby stores that have bitten the dust, one might think the ice is thin - but remember, these are the brick & mortars that sustained us before the internet became a viable resource. A lot of them hung on for decades until cut priced competition from webstores made it so hard to keep the lights on.
I moved up to New Hampshire 10 years ago, and have worked in our local game/comics store for the last five. It's pretty daunting to see that the same books that we stock for our community are consistently 30% cheaper somewhere on the net. It's also hard to blame anyone for taking advantage of a really good deal. But the hobby itself (games, minis, terrain, books, and art) continues to grow and reach new minds.
A couple of days ago, I was talking to a 17 year old who was telling me about a D&D campaign he and his friends just started. As he was describing their interactions with Demigods and fantastic mythological creatures, for a moment I saw a piece of myself from 30 years ago. That's even better than nostalgia (and LAW, yes I've been recalling ancient victories all day too!).
I'm truly honored to see this torch being passed on, and the beauty of it is, I don't have to stop playing ...Ever.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:02 pm

Cool about Pandemonium, I might take a walk some lunchtime and check them out. Last time I was in Harvard Sq and we checked out the Galleria all the "good" shops were gone. Just figured they all went belly up so never even thought to check if they had just moved again. My time was in the late 70's and 80's so kind of before the whole 90's vibe.

So folks reading this reminiscence portion of this thread, gaming can go on and on and on and on, so we all have hopes for DF to go on and on and on !

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:38 pm

John D wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:10 am
Law wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:28 am

Damn, now I’m nostalgic for the 90’s. (Disclaimer: I AM ALWAYS NOSTALGIC FOR THE 90’S)
The 90's in Boston/Cambridge was a heyday for our RPG group. During the winter months, I had a lot of Harvard Sq. Pit Rats showing up at my door to come in from the cold (literally), and I would DM games of D&D, Call of Cthulhu, or Gurps for them all night long. Some games were so big (over a dozen players) we had two DMs working the room simultaneously. A bunch of punk rockers playing D&D goes sideways pretty quickly, but we all had a lot of fun.
That is so awesome, I’m done. I’m not going to get anything productive done for the rest of the day.

I don’t know if you’re still there, but the era of the HS Pit Rat is over. HS now just isn’t what it was. It’s not terrible or anything, but. It ain’t the same.

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:10 am

Law wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:28 am

Damn, now I’m nostalgic for the 90’s. (Disclaimer: I AM ALWAYS NOSTALGIC FOR THE 90’S)
The 90's in Boston/Cambridge was a heyday for our RPG group. During the winter months, I had a lot of Harvard Sq. Pit Rats showing up at my door to come in from the cold (literally), and I would DM games of D&D, Call of Cthulhu, or Gurps for them all night long. Some games were so big (over a dozen players) we had two DMs working the room simultaneously. A bunch of punk rockers playing D&D goes sideways pretty quickly, but we all had a lot of fun.

Law
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Law » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:28 am

Yup. Pandemonium moved to a great space near Central. Compleat moved from vaguely near Berkeley to near BU, then shut down altogether. And Tokyo Kid closed up shop, I think. :/

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:36 pm

John D wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 am
@Law & zenako,
Wow, I also remember the Complete Strategist. Along with Games People Play (I used to work across the street at Mystery Train in the early/mid 90's), and Pandemonium in the Square. Throw in Million Year Picnic for comics and the circuit is complete.
I used to help at Games People Play around holiday season and get "paid" in game(s) I could take with me. It was a win-win since I was probably gonna stop by the store anyway, and that let me spend actual money in some of those other spots. There were a few of us in my gaming circle who would help Carol (the owner) back in those days.

I also checked and learned that Pandemonium is no longer in expensive Harvard Sq but has moved down to Pleasant St near Central square (and probably cut their rent in half or more).

I still on some occasions stop in the shops when I am in that part of the city, and Hobby Bunker (the Old Excalibur Hobbies) that is in Malden center.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hobby ... 8367?hl=en

It is a pretty extensive shop for gamers of all sorts.

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:22 am

@Law & zenako,
Wow, I also remember the Complete Strategist. Along with Games People Play (I used to work across the street at Mystery Train in the early/mid 90's), and Pandemonium in the Square. Throw in Million Year Picnic for comics and the circuit is complete.