Painting LED walls?

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Painting LED walls?

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:15 pm

All electricity needs is a point of contact in each connection hole. They are deep enough you'd have to really, really work the paint inside to negate a point of contact.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:57 am

For the small dual round contacts, you can put toothpicks into them so that you can paint all around them. But don't jam the toothpicks in too hard or torque them when removing...if they break off in there you'd have a real problem.

cosxcam

Post by cosxcam » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:17 am

Took Runeweaver's advice, just did it like it was a normal alcove, turned out great and still functions, no special treatment necessary.

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:11 pm

Bah, just pretend there isn’t anything there and dry brush away. Even heavy dry brush. I’ve never had a problem with the contacts and I go right over them with paint to make sure they blend in well. All works just fine.

Swiftbrook
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Swiftbrook » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:26 pm

I painted the corner wall led. I cut a small piece of blue painters tape to just the right size. I covered both the switch and the 2 hole LED contacts. Worked just fine.

When painting the LED green globe, I carefully held it with a pair of pliers gripping the contacts. I also carefully pressed the contacts into a piece of foam insulation to hold it while it dried.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:39 pm

cosxcam wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:34 pm
That's a really good idea for the torches and orbs, I'll definitely have to use that.

I was more thinking of the female ports on the walls themselves rather than the male side of the contacts.
I have not looked at one yet but off the top of my head maybe push a toothpick into the hole but not to far to keep paint from going into it may work. You could also again use some blu-tack around the toothpick to heap seal it even more.

cosxcam

Post by cosxcam » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:34 pm

That's a really good idea for the torches and orbs, I'll definitely have to use that.

I was more thinking of the female ports on the walls themselves rather than the male side of the contacts.

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Post by unclebilly » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:31 pm

I have not painted any. But if I was going to I would just push the contacts into some blu-tack to protect them while I paint them. That would also let you stick to something you could use to hold them while you paint them.

cosxcam

Painting LED walls?

Post by cosxcam » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:19 pm

I scoured the forums for any tips on this before deciding to make an account to ask.

Are there any tips or tricks to painting LED walls to avoid possible disruption of the contacts?

is it best to disassemble them? or maybe a dab of liquid latex that could be peeled off once the piece is painted?

If anyone has any tips, I would appreciate it.