Couple questions from someone with no Castles

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Couple questions from someone with no Castles

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 pm

When I bought castles my plan was to get what I needed to set up scenarios. Our game moves around and we use the dining room tables so we have to set up and tear down each session. My plan was a tall tower (which could be used for two corner towers), a gate, and two walls. That would give me any side or corner of a castle, a wall with two towers, a wall with a tower in it, a barbican, drawbridge scenario, etc... you get the idea.

Anyway, to your questions:
1) LEDs are interchangeable as AS mentioned earlier.
2) AS also mentioned making round rooms with tower walls and floors. You can use the courtyard floor pieces to make large rooms in dungeons. I have used the castle/tower stairs in several builds.
3) I think the stone bridge looks great with the dungeon pieces.
4) I have used the tower bridge to extend a stone bridge. It looks good to me. (Some may disagree as the tower bridge has some decor that the stone bridge does not have).
5) ? Not sure... send an email directly to dwarven forge for the real answer.
6) ? Not sure which parts you are asking about? Which wall packs?
7) See my opening paragraph... I think one or two towers are an excellent choice. You can build castle walls by inverting narrow dungeon passages (and stacking for higher walls). City builder has crenellation packs (battlement pack?) to set on those. So you might consider a Watchtower (or two) with a KS3 battlement pack. You *might* want a Tower Transition Pack as well. Possibly use pieces you already have for walls.

All that being said... the restock will have some more convenient configurations for building a scenario. When those are released in the store (any day now) there will be options to get things so you can build a castle over time... buy a tower, buy a castle wall, buy a barbican gatehouse... the pieces are all modular (as you know). So when these new configs come out take a close look at the piece configurations and prices.

kgallaghar
Goblin
Goblin

Post by kgallaghar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:57 pm

I don't have any castles, but I did recently get the large tower and the conical roof. I'm anxiously awaiting the large tower battlements to come back into stock. The tower really is awesome. I was glad I got the large tower, as it's the perfect size - large enough to be believable. I was also quite impressed with the magnet strength on the tower's floor extender thingies (the technical term).

I did buy the Gatehouse from the castle sets, but use the straight Crenellations and narrow dungeon passages (one or two layers high), I use the stone houses and tower battlements add-on pack for corner bastions from the city builder stuff. It looks pretty good, and the narrow passages also work for dungeons, and the houses also work for houses (of course).
Last edited by kgallaghar on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:56 pm

If you were not going to get castles, fine. However, you are really missing out on the towers. I would advise getting 3 to 6 levels of the small and large towers with roofs. They are very versatile and can be used in almost any setting. I’ve even use them to simulate stone barbarian houses as a single level.

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:19 pm

Also, this thread https://www.dwarvenforge.com/forum/view ... 13&t=10003 has a lot of ideas about using various Castle pieces with other sets.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:07 pm

I'm on my phone in a place where I don't have time to answer all of these, but I can comment on a few of them.

The LEDs across all sets are compatible.

The tower walls make great half circle rooms with KS1 pieces.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Tyrant
Kobold
Kobold

Couple questions from someone with no Castles

Post by Tyrant » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:45 pm

As the title says I don't own any Castle bits. I'm probably not looking to buy a whole Castle either. I've seen them at Gen Con and they look great, but I don't have the money and I don't play D&D enough at the moment to justify it if I did. I've backed KS I, II, V, and VI and I have a few resin sets so my interest is in what will work with dungeons and caverns. So, here goes with the questions.

1) Do the LED bits in the Castle sets plug into the LED slots in the DoD pieces?
2) Are there any parts in particular that work well with the Dungeon sets? Or the cavern sets, though I assume that is less likely?
3) Would something like the Stone Bridge look really out of place with KS1 pieces?
4) Does the Tower Bridge look okay with the Stone Bridge?
5) How strong are the magnets in the bridge pieces?
6) Do the parts from Wall Packs plug into anything?
7) In spite of my comments about not wanting to buy a Castle I have to ask, is it remotely worthwhile to buy something like a small tower (probably several floors) or a large tower, or possibly two of them and connect them? They would have limited use at the moment.

Thanks in advance for the help and advice.