Dwarven Forge Boxes

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Riley
Orc
Orc

Re: Dwarven Forge Boxes

Post by Riley » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:49 pm

I have also had bad things happen to resin that was shipped loose with inadequate protection, while I have never had more than minimal shipping damage with resin shipped in the original styrofoam inserts.

realarete
Orc
Orc

Post by realarete » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:26 pm

My $.02 .... I have a good number of resin sets, and have sold and bought sets both ... Original box and packaging almost always add to resale value. The styrofoam packing is also by default great for shipping, that said I have shipped and received plenty of resin bubble wrapped etc and have never had an issue.

And is it an accident that some of the resin boxes are exactly 2 walls high? Or 2 walls and a floor? Those dwarves think of everything! :D Giant elevation platforms ... you can store them right IN your builds ;)

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:10 pm

I've bought 2 sets off eBay without the boxes and the seller did a magnificent (almost annoyingly so) job, bubble wrapping each individual piece. All arrived fine. RotA and MBS

Although I do like having the boxes, those two were really good deals, so I would say boxes do help resale pricing.

I keep my boxes even though I never plan to sell my sets, I'm keeping the boxes for whoever has to deal with this after I pass. I have shrink wrapped them in a groups of the 4 or 5 boxes and then store them in my attic (truss space). ;)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

GardenDM
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by GardenDM » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Sad to hear about all these resin sets dying in transit. I've only bought (and will only buy) sets in their original boxes. Even more so after reading this thread.

I've purchased a number of DF and hand-made pieces that were one-offs and those have all arrived safely when packaged individually, so less concerned there.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:12 pm

I shipped one of those to someone once and the walls also broke; I didn't have the original box.

USPS would only issue the insurance payout if they could keep the parcel and could do an investigation, so the guy brought it back. They declined the insurance three times due to packaging. I had wrapped the pieces in bubble wrap in the box. I guess in hindsight I should have put them in boxes within the larger mailing box to increase the strength of the package. I learned a lot from that and am more careful with packing items. Or at least I hope I am.

The weird part of the story is the guy stopped communicating with me and never picked the set back up from USPS so they kept it to probably sell at a damaged goods auction. So in the end he paid me and never got his set. :(
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:11 pm

The fragility of resin casts has always been a concern of mine which is why I never really got into the DF stuff until Dwarvenite. I have picked up some resin since then, but only in small doses.

Magniopi
Orc
Orc

Post by Magniopi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:05 pm

galahad wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:26 pm
I bought 2 Den of Evil Rooms and Passages sets and had them shipped to me. the seller carefully packed them in bubble wrap and foam shipping peanuts.

not a single piece arrived intact. each and every wall was flattened.
:cry:

galahad
Orc
Orc

Post by galahad » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:26 pm

one more YES! for your consideration.

I bought 2 Den of Evil Rooms and Passages sets and had them shipped to me. the seller carefully packed them in bubble wrap and foam shipping peanuts.

not a single piece arrived intact. each and every wall was flattened.

I received a $500 refund from US post but the value of the sets now is minimal. Plus they are impossible to replace.
Pontifex Maximus of Valoria

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Zach here!

Yup, having the box on a set can increase the value, typically by approximately $5 to $50 or more depending on the value of the set and fragility of the pieces. Case in point: the old cavern water sets. Some pieces are so fragile they take an inordinate amount of packing to keep them safe if you don't have the box and foam.

For individual pieces or small sets (arrow loop walls or a few extra floors for instance), I've found the box doesn't hold much value however. But I would still save the box as it makes it easier to know what you have if you ever sell or move the pieces.
106 Resin and 202 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:46 pm

simply - YES

Zach can give you a better idea of the exact difference - but if you have attic, garage or basement space available - keep them Who knows the day may come when you trade one or two of your sets to one of us for a set or two that you want even more ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939