patransom
Orc
Orc

Re: Rangers of Shadow Deep

Post by patransom » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:24 am

FadeXIII wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 pm
Oh I may have to try this. How is rosd?

Seems to be getting good reviews on drive thru RPG but wondering how it plays.
I've played the first two scenarios in a group of three and the first three scenarios solo. Great fun, plays fast, not at all fiddly. I think it's more fun with a group, but it's okay solo as well.

FadeXIII
Kobold
Kobold

Post by FadeXIII » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Oh I may have to try this. How is rosd?

Seems to be getting good reviews on drive thru RPG but wondering how it plays.

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:06 am

Very nice setups :)

Loving the webbed trees and you cant beat random rubble.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:09 pm

zenako wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:29 am
One way around that is to have movement speeds not be so much of a given. In D&D for example, a LOT of folks and critters all have the same movement speed of "30'" or 6 squares/hexes. In my game, I am also using a number of movement speed modifiers (race, armor, class, feats, spells, auras, elevation, difficult terrain, etc.) so that in many circumstances it is very hard to eyeball or know the movement outcome. I do allow someone to modify their movement from standard to a charge if after starting the move it appears they will be coming up short (assuming the terrain permits the charge attack). That does let them close the gap, but also leaves them more vulnerable to other attacks.

Characters know their current speed, other than impacts of terrain, so that is a fixed starting number (not as much dynamic speed calculations as the list above implies). Some players are really good at eyeballing stuff, others not so much. Also for me having some sort of grid gives me structure as well. We do keep a yardstick handy at all times, mainly for ranged attacks/spells and evaluating line of sight questions. Also makes for quicker determinations of range when shooting from or at an elevated spot, even more so when shooting from one elevated spot to another, diagonally across a courtyard of a Keep for example.
I like a lot of the ideas if first paragraph. Fixed things appear in wargames but rarely in real life. Uncertainty is the DM's friend.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:29 am

One way around that is to have movement speeds not be so much of a given. In D&D for example, a LOT of folks and critters all have the same movement speed of "30'" or 6 squares/hexes. In my game, I am also using a number of movement speed modifiers (race, armor, class, feats, spells, auras, elevation, difficult terrain, etc.) so that in many circumstances it is very hard to eyeball or know the movement outcome. I do allow someone to modify their movement from standard to a charge if after starting the move it appears they will be coming up short (assuming the terrain permits the charge attack). That does let them close the gap, but also leaves them more vulnerable to other attacks.

Characters know their current speed, other than impacts of terrain, so that is a fixed starting number (not as much dynamic speed calculations as the list above implies). Some players are really good at eyeballing stuff, others not so much. Also for me having some sort of grid gives me structure as well. We do keep a yardstick handy at all times, mainly for ranged attacks/spells and evaluating line of sight questions. Also makes for quicker determinations of range when shooting from or at an elevated spot, even more so when shooting from one elevated spot to another, diagonally across a courtyard of a Keep for example.

GODofwar
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by GODofwar » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:25 am

Going to beat an old drum. I hate grids. It lets players know too much. I provide players with move/fire sticks. They have to declare movement/fire before putting the stick on the table. If in a cavern/dungeon I do whatever I can to hide the grid. Junk on the floor, anything.

Adds suspense and guesswork.

The Chief Least Weasel of Valoria (Pretendant)
Totus KS Delenda Sunt
WeaselWarGod

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:53 pm

I like it. It is simple but elegant looking.

Love that table.

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:28 pm

It's a gridless game, where movement is measured with a ruler or tape measure. Creatures enter melee when they come into base contact. If you come with in 1 inch of a hostile figure, it can snap to you and stop your movement to initiate combat.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:02 am

Nice settings. You were able to keep the play area busy, but not too crowded, which makes for easier gaming.

One question for you, how do you control movement (unless there is a real faint grid on that mat?). So many dramatic situations can occur when either the PC's of the mob can either just reach the target or comes up short.

patransom
Orc
Orc

Rangers of Shadow Deep

Post by patransom » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:39 am

My group has begun playing Rangers of Shadow Deep, the new co-op game from the creator of Frostgrave. The pictures below are my setups for the first two scenarios. Nothing too spectacular, but the upcoming scenarios promise to be more DF-centric, so I figured I'd start a topic in anticipation of those builds.

The first scenario (the Missing) takes place in a deserted village. As the rangers begin to look for signs of what happened to the villagers, they are set upon by zombies and giant rats. (There are no zombies left in this picture, because we had killed them all by then.)

Determining that the zombies were created by a certain type of spider whose venom animates its dead victims, the rangers track the spiders back to their nests in the second scenario (the Infected Trees). This setup doesn't use much DF, other than the mountain and cavern elevations that I used to shrink the table down to its designated size. In the photo (which I now realize is too dark), the rangers have not arrived on the scene yet.

Both of these would have been so much cooler with those dreadhollow scatter trees I'm already eagerly anticipating...