City and Castle compatibility with Dungeon of Doom and Caverns Deep

LordDarkhan
Kobold
Kobold

Re: City and Castle compatibility with Dungeon of Doom and Caverns Deep

Post by LordDarkhan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:11 pm

Damn, @William... that was an exhaustively complete response (that's a compliment from me, even if it doesn't seem so). Thanks for the push in that direction. It's more-or-less what I'd assumed, and minor variations don't really bug me. I think I'll follow that poster's advice and just limit mixing sets during vertical builds.

zenako
Ogre
Ogre

Post by zenako » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:48 am

@William, that was a great thread to cite, lots of actual measurements and photos to demo the points.

In practice, how much the slight size differences matter depends on how you are using them. Long straight runs of tiles, and you will see offsets, BUT, it is also possible to break things up along the way to make the issue not as obvious. For example, you could just have a City Building sit on TOP of other tiles if you wanted to. You could invert the building and have the floor act as a roof and just slide each wall in upside down. Then mismatches would not be a spacing or gap issue at all. In a lot of builds, you are more likely to have map /mat space between features, in which case you do not end up with anything to worry about.

It is an issue, but a relatively minor one that most of us tend to work around in larger builds, if it matters.
Last edited by zenako on Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patransom
Orc
Orc

Post by patransom » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:48 am

The Erinthor mountains set is on the same scale as the city and castle stuff, so you're likely to have the same results integrating those: a little off, but not so bad you won't use it. At least, that's my experience.

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:21 pm

It's been a bit slow here lately, sorry this took longer to address then usual. ;)
Here is a thread on the subject you are seeking...

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7592

and, WELCOME to the Forum and addiction. :D
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

LordDarkhan
Kobold
Kobold

City and Castle compatibility with Dungeon of Doom and Caverns Deep

Post by LordDarkhan » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi all. I bought some original caverns stuff from the webstore, which led to me being a big backer of DoD and CD. Now I'm thinking about getting some City and Castle stuff too.

My big question is "How compatible are the sets?" I've seen some stuff online saying they're not very compatible. Something about the sizes being a little off, especially the vertical. Can anyone shed some light on this for me (preferably with pics)? I'd hate to spend a few hundred dollars getting a bunch of City stuff, only to find that they don't seamlessly integrate into my DoD or caverns builds
Examples would be:
- Surrounding a 4x4 Tudor floor with caverns floors to make a house on a stone ground
- Building some Stone "rooms" from City pieces, but it not fitting the rest of the keep that's made from DoD pieces

I use a lot of the older caverns stuff with DoD and have had no issues, and while the Erinthor Mountains set is a little off, it's not so bad that I don't use it. Just double-checking before I drop the stupid amount of money this stuff costs (and is 100% worth).