Terrain Crate 2 KS

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Terrain Crate 2 KS

Post by kodiakbear » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:02 am

Mantic said
"We’re planning to have four Crates on the Kickstarter, including Gothic Estate, Modern Life, Occupied Town and Abandoned Village (all names TBC). Across these four Crates, we’re going to cover a load of different periods, settings and uses."

I have no interest in Gothic or Modern, I would have preferred to have them go the other way and do Ancient Greek, Roman, Norse and Egyptian terrain, I could use those as regular terrain or as ancient treasures.

Oh well.

The only one I like of the ones shown above is the grocery stand but Abandoned Village is starting to stir my imagination.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:14 am

Looks to be a pretty eclectic mix of genres in those photos. Not sure how that will work out. Will check it out in any case. Been working on finishing up painting all my booty from the last Terrain Crate KS.

kenshidark
Kobold
Kobold

Post by kenshidark » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:55 pm

Man the joke just flew over my head. Egg and my face were one.

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:10 pm

kenshidark wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 pm
I'm not sure what you mean by your comment "DF should really copyright that"? I don't see DF having any right to a monopoly for miniature terrain, particularly as the images you've linked appear to be unrelated to previous DF products? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your comment.

In any case copyright is for protecting an artistic expression and exists as soon as the expression comes into existence. This would usually extend to literary works, artworks and performances. Ideas or concepts are not afforded copyright protection. Copyright will typically be lost by industrial application of an "expression" (such as making 3D objects for mass sale) - although this depends on the jurisdiction. Therefore designs (or design patents for you Yanks) are usually used to protect 3D articles.
Lol.

It was a joke. “Soon” was what he was referring to. :lol:

Runeweaver
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Runeweaver » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:09 pm

Very, very cool. Thanks for the heads up!

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:04 pm

Looks like some more nice stuff there.

kenshidark
Kobold
Kobold

Post by kenshidark » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:53 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by your comment "DF should really copyright that"? I don't see DF having any right to a monopoly for miniature terrain, particularly as the images you've linked appear to be unrelated to previous DF products? Perhaps I'm misinterpreting your comment.

In any case copyright is for protecting an artistic expression and exists as soon as the expression comes into existence. This would usually extend to literary works, artworks and performances. Ideas or concepts are not afforded copyright protection. Copyright will typically be lost by industrial application of an "expression" (such as making 3D objects for mass sale) - although this depends on the jurisdiction. Therefore designs (or design patents for you Yanks) are usually used to protect 3D articles.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Terrain Crate 2 KS

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:20 pm

Looks like Mantic is doing another Terrain Crate kickstarter, to be launched "soon." (DF should really copyright that)

https://manticblog.com/2019/01/05/12-da ... raincrate/

modern-camp[1].png
modern-camp[1].png (146.8 KiB) Viewed 830 times
village-square[1].png
village-square[1].png (225 KiB) Viewed 830 times
gothic-manor[1].png
gothic-manor[1].png (172.1 KiB) Viewed 830 times
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

Return to “Gaming Talk”