Seven Statues of Rome

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Seven Statues of Rome

Post by zenako » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:52 am

Interesting and some nice sculpts among them, but I am already on tap to get a bunch of Reaper Statues that are somewhat along this vein in the latest Bones KS that should be shipping soon. So not sure I need more statues at this point.

hunter_something
Goblin
Goblin

Post by hunter_something » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:52 am

kodiakbear wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:47 am
On one hand these are less sexualized that many reaper minis but the Diana mini tips it over IMO. The Venus mini may annoy people but it is very realistic and as a Deity of fertility and marriage Ceres could have had a bare breast in a nod to breast feeding mothers, Apollo should really be showing more chest and leg skin IMO or perhaps there is enough skin it just looks like he is hide himself rather than looking all godly awesome.

The mars mini is kind of boring and while a statue to immortalize the Emperor and a Legionary is very mid to late Roman Empire I am not really interested in Roman state political propaganda statues for my game.

All in all it is likely a very good representation of statues that might be in a Roman simulation game. While one of the parts of my world is a empire of Greek city states somewhat like a Roman empire I am not sure I would get these, as they are a mixed bag.

With a wife and two daughters who play, I agree the gaming community needs to be more inclusive and less thirteen year old boyish (hehe she has boobies) but I find Paizo (a very inclusive company) art to be even more sexualized than this. In short the Diana mini should have been done very differently and Ceres perhaps too.
I hear what you're saying, and I'm not one so say there should be no nudity ever. But in this set of 7 statues, we have:

4 Males
- An Emperor, Apollo, and Mars all commonly depicted nude
- None depicted nude in set

3 Females
- Venus & Ceres often depicted nude
- Diana rarely depicted nude
- All 3 depicted w/ nudity in set

That's where I find problematic choices being made.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:47 am

On one hand these are less sexualized that many reaper minis but the Diana mini tips it over IMO. The Venus mini may annoy people but it is very realistic and as a Deity of fertility and marriage Ceres could have had a bare breast in a nod to breast feeding mothers, Apollo should really be showing more chest and leg skin IMO or perhaps there is enough skin it just looks like he is hide himself rather than looking all godly awesome.

The mars mini is kind of boring and while a statue to immortalize the Emperor and a Legionary is very mid to late Roman Empire I am not really interested in Roman state political propaganda statues for my game.

All in all it is likely a very good representation of statues that might be in a Roman simulation game. While one of the parts of my world is a empire of Greek city states somewhat like a Roman empire I am not sure I would get these, as they are a mixed bag.

With a wife and two daughters who play, I agree the gaming community needs to be more inclusive and less thirteen year old boyish (hehe she has boobies) but I find Paizo (a very inclusive company) art to be even more sexualized than this. In short the Diana mini should have been done very differently and Ceres perhaps too.

hunter_something
Goblin
Goblin

Post by hunter_something » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:04 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 pm
Not a fan, personally. I like how WOTC/Paizo has changed the art in the PHBs and other materials in comparison to the way it was in the 80's to be more inclusive of women who play. I get this is just terrain, but it's a step backward, IMHO.
I feel the same way. More inclusive would be great, that should be the goal for sure. But at the absolute bare minimum I think creators need to strive for less alienating.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:27 pm

Why does every single female sculpt in this need her boobs hanging out? :|

I get Greek historical sculpture had people naked, but that was the men too. Not saying I want naked men too, but this is like when I go to play Magic at the FLGS and the person I play against is a dude with a playmat with a naked girl looking like she's 5 seconds from a "close encounter" (if you catch my drift), his sleeves on his cards have naked women on them, he doesn't seem to care, but the girl who just wants to play the game and happens to be seated next to us can't help but look disgusted, as her gender sure seems like just an object to the guy.

Not a fan, personally. I like how WOTC/Paizo has changed the art in the PHBs and other materials in comparison to the way it was in the 80's to be more inclusive of women who play. I get this is just terrain, but it's a step backward, IMHO. Do it historically accurate or do it tastefully, but pick one. Don't choose for the guys to be shown respect but not the women.

/soapbox
102 Resin and 210 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by William » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks for the post. I didn't know they would be doing any KSs.
I have been working on a seven sided room for a few years, these might just have to decorate each corner/wall at times. Good price for seven larger sized statues, but I will need the pedestals too.
Thanks again UB. :)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

unclebilly
Ogre
Ogre

Seven Statues of Rome

Post by unclebilly » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Seven Statues of Rome - by Thomarillion

Not bad looking statues and by a company that is sure to fulfill. I am in for a set and also added the pedestal to my pledge.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/th ... omarillion