Monster Terrain

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: Monster Terrain

Post by William » Thu May 16, 2019 10:17 pm

AnimeSensei wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 12:20 pm
William, this pond set they are selling made me think of your lilypads. :)
They are a bit different, but I like them. I was in this KS for EB $100 pledge, hope I get some. :?:
I have not had the time to look at the KS for a few weeks, so I don't know what I'm getting yet.

I also owe Feymous a small group of mine when we meet :| to :| .
I've missed the local games she's put on so far, but hope to meet her maybe next month. :)
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Thu May 16, 2019 8:28 pm

So they just teased this as something they're working on...

60919178_410673519483410_6943918522183450624_o.jpg
60919178_410673519483410_6943918522183450624_o.jpg (135.39 KiB) Viewed 86 times

Looks like a different base, maybe a different canopy sculpt too? If there's more variety of trees coming soon, I may need to reconsider my plan!

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu May 16, 2019 5:49 pm

dice4hire wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 pm
I have never really used templates before so will see how these work. Ponds could be useful)but probably only one or two per build), but I'll have too many of them to realistically use.
What about swamps :lol: I liked the accessories 8-)
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu May 16, 2019 4:26 pm

I have never really used templates before so will see how these work. Ponds could be useful)but probably only one or two per build), but I'll have too many of them to realistically use.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Thu May 16, 2019 10:47 am

Rabbit Burner wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:49 am
Oldent wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 pm
zenako wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:49 pm

Generally, use the base to mark the edge of the wood and move the trees away during moment. The base will represent the effect.1/2 movement for example. Avoid arguments like the miniature base will not fit so the miniature cant pass.

We generally dont like templates but they do act as a excellent guide when wargamming to determin if a mini or minis is within a hazard and so is effected by it.

For Example: When a mini is on the tree template (and not necessarily behind a tree) it gains the benefit of cover etc.

Aesthetically they do not do much for us.
Same here. A compromise must be made between a diorama and a game set.

I like back drops for roll play.

Details make skirmish games more fun.

For some game systems there is no choice but to use templates

Rabbit Burner
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Rabbit Burner » Thu May 16, 2019 9:49 am

Oldent wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 pm
zenako wrote:
hunter_something wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:11 am

Generally, use the base to mark the edge of the wood and move the trees away during moment. The base will represent the effect.1/2 movement for example. Avoid arguments like the miniature base will not fit so the miniature cant pass.

We generally dont like templates but they do act as a excellent guide when wargamming to determin if a mini or minis is within a hazard and so is effected by it.

For Example: When a mini is on the tree template (and not necessarily behind a tree) it gains the benefit of cover etc.

Aesthetically they do not do much for us.
Mythrassian Lagomorph Hivemind Minion of the Flaming Bunny Clan

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Wed May 15, 2019 6:46 pm

zenako wrote:
hunter_something wrote:

That'll let me do 12 trees in any color (except pink). Part of me wonders if 12 trees will be enough... I've never actually used trees as terrain before. I'll probably be looking at a 2' x 3' play space. That would only be 2 trees per square foot (assuming a full cover forest)...
There is a clear tradeoff between gaming access and really dense forest. Having a few trees clustered together can be effective and have others be more scattered. I tend to make the foliage density higher close to the objective, which lets the players more easily move their figures closer to the goal without as much hassle or tree knocking over. (Using light flocked trees leaves them very vulnerable to getting tipped over. You should have enough i would think for your current needs.

The example tree are from Fire and Ice. The unit bases are very large.

I like to make very large trees with with room under them to move the miniatures.

There is room on the base for miniatures but the tree is large enough to give the impression of a forest.

I can use the tops of the large trees as well. Cut floral mats are easier to store.

Use the mats to mark the edge of the forest. I like to combine the effects of terrain,a road passing through a wood for example.

There are all kinds of floral mats and they are easy to store. You can not have too many trees ;)

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Wed May 15, 2019 5:49 pm

hunter_something wrote:

That'll let me do 12 trees in any color (except pink). Part of me wonders if 12 trees will be enough... I've never actually used trees as terrain before. I'll probably be looking at a 2' x 3' play space. That would only be 2 trees per square foot (assuming a full cover forest)...
There is a clear tradeoff between gaming access and really dense forest. Having a few trees clustered together can be effective and have others be more scattered. I tend to make the foliage density higher close to the objective, which lets the players more easily move their figures closer to the goal without as much hassle or tree knocking over. (Using light flocked trees leaves them very vulnerable to getting tipped over. You should have enough i would think for your current needs.

galahad
Orc
Orc

Post by galahad » Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am

I got an early bird Battle set - 5 packs for $140
I added another $120 so that I could get 2 sets of each colour of the green and blue light up rocks
the plan thus far is
3 sets of trees with green leaves
1 set of trees with pink leaves
1 set of trees with Blue leaves
1 set of Green tree leaves
2 sets of blue crystal rocks
2 sets of gree Cyrstal rocks

I really only want 1 of each of the special colour trees so I may try and trade my extra blue and pink leaf toppers for green or orange.
Pontifex Maximus of Valoria
301 Dwarvenite/128 Resin

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Wed May 15, 2019 10:13 am

Yeah i would have liked a downed tree add on - useful and well done

Right now use sticks - advanrage is no storage. I throw em out when im done and gather new the next time ;)
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

Return to “Non-Gaming Talk”