A Question about the New Website in the works.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Re: A Question about the New Website in the works.

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:14 pm

The forums need work.

Though I realize they make money from the webstore to keep everything running, the forums should be a second or third priority on the list.

-If you aren't logged in, post appear in reverse order
-If you upload images to a post, and then try to preview the post or edit it later, your images are deleted
-Image size restrictions are impeding people showing off the product DF is selling to the point that many posters just store the images outside of DF's website, leaving storage of those images out of DF's control, especially if they want to have a clause saying they can use images posted to the forums for promotional usage.
-We have a bot problem
-There is no way to upvote/like a post, when the very nature of the Cool Photos section definitely could be enhanced by it.
-Searching for pictures on the forums could be done better with tags, so its easier to find certain builds/ideas.

So while they don't necessarily make money from the forums, they can be utilized in a marketing perspective better. The way they are now, people aren't even really trying to post builds here, but instead default to Facebook. While FB will definitely steal a lot of posts due to its accessibility, DF has more control on their own platform.

I just feel there's enough potential here to utilize it better.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:37 pm

Yeah the forums work well enough that I hope they aren't trying to mess with them at the same time as other stuff. The store is in the biggest need of help. Think they probably don't need to switch their CMS, could just reorganize/skin what they have if they want.

kodiakbear
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kodiakbear » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:20 pm

Frankly I hope they put their efforts into fixing the store and leave the forum alone.

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:56 pm

The forum looks to be run on phpBB, somewhere after version 3.0.

It looks like the current site is wordpress, and I'd imagine they'll be sticking with that CMS for the new site. If that's so, they could opt for some more robust forum package, like perhaps Buddypress, with a few choice extensions. Buddypress has a phpBB import tool, so that would be a great way to get new improved forums while retaining all the old information.

I'm really hoping the store gets a total overhaul. It looks like they use Shopify now, which I'm not a huge fan of personally. If it were me building the site, I'd switch them over to WooCommerce. If that happens, a lot of the random frustrations, like false 'in-stock' products, will be a thing of the past.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:05 pm

William wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:19 pm
I was just wondering if the Forum will be revamped as well?

and if so, what about a new name for it, like - "The Furnace", "The Crucible" or "The Bellows". :P

Any real info on what the new site will be [like], would be welcome.

Also, any Trog ideas or thoughts about a new Forum name. Something hip and in. ;) (Unlike me) :lol:
Hip and in are currently retro things, so maybe they keep the board the same and say it's just in style? ;)

Seriously though, what I want most for the forums are easier photo uploads and likes on posts. Oh, and NOT doing a forum wipe with the change.

If we have to choose a name, I think keeping it as Forums is fine, especially as it ties back to Italy and Stefan.
102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

William
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

A Question about the New Website in the works.

Post by William » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:19 pm

I was just wondering if the Forum will be revamped as well?

and if so, what about a new name for it, like - "The Furnace", "The Crucible" or "The Bellows". :P

Any real info on what the new site will be [like], would be welcome.

Also, any Trog ideas or thoughts about a new Forum name. Something hip and in. ;) (Unlike me) :lol:
Sir William of the Basalt Region of Mythras
( aka: Rock Breaker Bill - Column Barron of BRoM )

Return to “Ask Dwarven Forge”