Kickstarter 6.66

Seraphis the Bland
Orc
Orc

Re: Kickstarter 6.66

Post by Seraphis the Bland » Sat May 18, 2019 1:03 am

As expected, the sculpts and paint job look amazing. Gorgeous to look upon. My only thing is, I think of a Hell adventure as being similar to a cavern or dungeon adventure in that I need less open space. It's just so VERY wide open. Pretty, for sure, but I'm going to wait to see what the encounters look like. I need defined rooms/areas. Needs some craggy boulder walls or something to break up the openness. Similar to garden building philosophy, they put up hedges, etc to make "rooms" in a well thought out garden space. There's no secret coves or hidden nooks for example. I'd die for a large sunken pit area. Think about Bilbo and Sam hiding in Mordor pits... I need my monsters to pop out from behind/underneath something. I love the chase pieces and I think I would buy them no matter what the encounters look like. We'll see what else unfolds. I suspect there is more coming. I'm thinking about the live game where they debuted CD- it didn't show many of the real show-stopper pieces. We'll see.

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Sat May 18, 2019 12:16 am

I agree, backward compatibility is critical for me.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

szabbran
Orc
Orc

Post by szabbran » Fri May 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Most exciting for me is what looks like 4" + tall vertical "lava falls". I'd love to see this applied as waterfalls in ks7, the increased height opens the door for very cool centerpieces in the Wildlands.

Other than that, I agree with others that my buy-in here is hugely contingent with pieces that help this transition into KS6, either caverns or Dreadhollow.

scott102303
Orc
Orc

Post by scott102303 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:17 pm

I like these. I was never interested in the KS2 lava pieces, but I'll buy these. I think that I will have a larger ratio of black tiles to river tiles than shown in these examples as I like having lava fields for terrain for the party to work across. I'll want enough river pieces to do it justice. I hope they look ok next to CD pieces, above and below ground.

Tyrant
Goblin
Goblin

Post by Tyrant » Fri May 17, 2019 8:49 pm

I think the pieces look pretty good. Will definitely have to wait to see the pricing scheme and what exactly we are getting, but I like what I'm seeing. Echoing someone else's comment, I too hope we see some comparisons with KS II lava pieces and maybe the KS V lava terrain trays.

DWChancellor
Ogre
Ogre

Post by DWChancellor » Fri May 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Very on the fence about these. Price is going to be a major factor. They look cool but very specialized in a way I don't use. Now if the gate was coming back, or the fountain (also in the pictures)... but I'm sure they'd be chase pieces on the all-in pledge. Need to save for DF KS next year!
DW, Chancellor of Valoria, Formally Privy Councilor of Valoria

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:17 pm

For the most part I like the sculpts, but I don't like how the river pieces don't quite align leading to very obvious lines between tiles. I also think the paint is too bright. Used sparingly, I think it would look great, but the falls, the river, the volcano, etc all have the same bright color scheme. I would expect the lava sources to be brighter, though I'm no lava expert...

But there's a lot of good stuff here, and I think I am just less keen on this particular encounter design. I like the individual pieces a lot, and a bit of paint touch up would probably go a long way. I want to see how encounters look with less lava river and more cavern floors with lava in the cracks and small lava pools.

hunter_something
Orc
Orc

Post by hunter_something » Fri May 17, 2019 7:20 pm

I have a strong suspicion that the lighting on the stage paired with the bright red background lights are making the glowing lava appear less interesting than it would on a typical tabletop setup. The more I see, the more I think these will look pretty slick on my table...

The transition to the terrain tray does get me wondering... how would would an underdarky necrotic sludge alternate paint scheme look on these? If that was offered as a KS exclusive, it might be enough to entice me into going after the underdark CD as well...

nielsene
Ogre
Ogre

Post by nielsene » Fri May 17, 2019 7:06 pm

That reminds me, I need to find where I boxed up all my one-off hellscape pieces. I have that gate somewhere, but haven't used it since I moved a couple years ago....

GriffinMace
Goblin
Goblin

Post by GriffinMace » Fri May 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”