Minotaur

Re: Kickstarter 6.66

Post by unclebilly » Sat May 18, 2019 10:21 am

icestormganon wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 am
AnimeSensei wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:49 am
2 things.

1) What's up with the terrain trays? Are the insides clear and they are sitting on a light table or something?

2) The need to MAKE SURE the final paint jobs don't have light show through on the dark parts like the prototypes do. See below.

D6zJfGcV4AA4yjt.jpg

SPECULATION:

My guess is DF is coming out with an underlying lighting solution that will light an entire area and eliminate the need for LEDs in each piece for the set. Something like a portable (possibly modular?) light table. If you look closely, you'll notice each piece of the lava river doesn't have a "bright spot" where an LED is present; it's pretty uniform. You can also see light coming out from in-between a few tiles and possibly against the backdrop. The lava volcano is also mainly lit at the bottom but not the top.
An underlying lighting solution sounds expensive, and I'm not a fan of a modular table, so I really hope this isn't the case. Also, DF seems to be going heavy into everything having magnets in the bottom. Not sure how that would work with lights at the bottom. Are we sure they aren't using a trick of the light and paiting right now?

One thing I want to point out to is the Immolith (Fire snake demon looking thing) miniature. I have one of those, and although the bottom of the base looks completly black in the picture, it is actually clear in the middle so it can be lit up from below. It doesn't look like it's being lit to me.
Where is the miniature from ?

Oldent
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by Oldent » Sat May 18, 2019 10:21 am

MBCE wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:31 am
NiandoBG wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:48 am
I’m very curious what you can do with them in an unpainted version!!!
If the lava pieces would be transparent I could imagine of a nice acid river :mrgreen:
This is the point I'm worried about. Due to my budget and shipping costs to Japan, I tend to buy unpainted. However, the lava sets released previously were basically the same as normal pieces making the paint job the only difference.

Will 1) the entry price be low enough for me to buy them painted? Or 2) will there be enough interesting and different sculpts offered making getting them unpainted worth it?

Only time will tell.
I only buy unpainted. I want the tile to be translucent or clear. I will have enough experience painting the clear crystal set to have a better understanding of what will work best for the lava rivers long before they arrive.

The display is obviously back lit. The prototypes look like clear resin.

I think it will be very important to show the prototypes under normal light to avoid misunderstandings and needless concerns. :!: :!: :!:
OldmanWillow AKA OldEnt. Customer and fan from 1996 onward!

icestormganon
Kobold
Kobold

Post by icestormganon » Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
2 things.

1) What's up with the terrain trays? Are the insides clear and they are sitting on a light table or something?

2) The need to MAKE SURE the final paint jobs don't have light show through on the dark parts like the prototypes do. See below.

D6zJfGcV4AA4yjt.jpg

SPECULATION:

My guess is DF is coming out with an underlying lighting solution that will light an entire area and eliminate the need for LEDs in each piece for the set. Something like a portable (possibly modular?) light table. If you look closely, you'll notice each piece of the lava river doesn't have a "bright spot" where an LED is present; it's pretty uniform. You can also see light coming out from in-between a few tiles and possibly against the backdrop. The lava volcano is also mainly lit at the bottom but not the top.
An underlying lighting solution sounds expensive, and I'm not a fan of a modular table, so I really hope this isn't the case. Also, DF seems to be going heavy into everything having magnets in the bottom. Not sure how that would work with lights at the bottom. Are we sure they aren't using a trick of the light and paiting right now?

One thing I want to point out to is the Immolith (Fire snake demon looking thing) miniature. I have one of those, and although the bottom of the base looks completly black in the picture, it is actually clear in the middle so it can be lit up from below. It doesn't look like it's being lit to me.

unclebilly
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by unclebilly » Sat May 18, 2019 9:58 am

Looking at this on video it looks like they are sitting on a lighted table or a TV screen. I am thinking that yea it may be because they have not rigged the LEDs up to them yet. They do look incredible my only worry is lets hope the factory can get the paint job correct on them. This is a more advanced paint job with more that just slapping down some paint as fast as a factory can do. We will see. This is why I would prefer this to come out after I get to see what the paint job from KSVI looks like. I think DF is making a mistake by trying to run this KS when they have not finished the last one. They are going to have too many irons in the fire (no pun intended).

Vegomatic
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by Vegomatic » Sat May 18, 2019 9:35 am

Does anyone think this might be tied to miniatures ks we were expecting this year?

MBCE
Orc
Orc

Post by MBCE » Sat May 18, 2019 8:31 am

NiandoBG wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 1:48 am
If the lava pieces would be transparent I could imagine of a nice acid river :mrgreen:
This is the point I'm worried about. Due to my budget and shipping costs to Japan, I tend to buy unpainted. However, the lava sets released previously were basically the same as normal pieces making the paint job the only difference.

Will 1) the entry price be low enough for me to buy them painted? Or 2) will there be enough interesting and different sculpts offered making getting them unpainted worth it?

Only time will tell.

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:53 am

AnimeSensei wrote:
2 things.

SPECULATION:

Hmm I didn't consider that it might be backlit.

RisingSeraph
Orc
Orc

Post by RisingSeraph » Sat May 18, 2019 2:09 am

Interesting, perhaps a larger light source we just build on top of. Or maybe they just did it this way since these are prototypes.

It would be INCREDIBLE if the Hellscape Gatehouse was remade in Dwarvenite for this KS - I know the one pictured was the original resin and that I'm dreaming but c'mon Nate, it's by far one of the COOLEST pieces DF has ever made - please bring it back!

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Sat May 18, 2019 1:49 am

2 things.

D6zJfGcV4AA4yjt.jpg
D6zJfGcV4AA4yjt.jpg (107.95 KiB) Viewed 417 times

SPECULATION:

102 Resin and 217 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

NiandoBG
Orc
Orc

Post by NiandoBG » Sat May 18, 2019 1:48 am

Wow,
The shown pieces are amazing.
(Happy to have no lava, so KS pledge is mandatory :twisted: )

Wish the KS would start already tomorrow ;)
more than 2,800 self painted dwarvenite pieces :)

Return to “Pre-Kickstarter 6.66 Discussion”