Puzzle Floor Symbol Explanations

ilionblaze
Goblin
Goblin

Re: Puzzle Floor Symbol Explanations

Post by ilionblaze » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:58 pm

They published the Rune symbols. However, like most things, they decided to bury it within the Dungeon of Doom Adventure and not set it out separately for those that only wanted the symbol key.
I thought I had seen it somewhere! I looked through the build guide but forgot to check the adventure. Interestingly I feel they've played a little loose with some of the symbols. Like I'm not sure why the triquetra is used to represent treasure. I find their choices for the 3 moons and Horned God interesting as well.

So I'm going to keep on with this in case others find it useful. Hopefully someone does!

Page 8-03:

We Start with Elemental symbols here.

Row 1:
C1 🜃 Earth
C2 🜁 Air
C3 🜄 Water
C4 🜂 Fire
C5 ☉ Sun (also Gold)
C6 Sun Rise
C7 Sun Set

Row 2:
C1 ☽ Luna/Moon (also Silver)
C2 Moon Rise - n.b. most representations I've found have the line under the crescent, not above.
C3 Moon Set
C4 & C5 These are Triple Moon symbols, representing the Waxing, Full, and Waning phases of the moon. I do not think there is a difference in the outlined vs. filled in symbol.
C6 & C7 These symbols are the Horned God. Again, I don't think there's a difference between the two.

The Horned God and Triple Moon symbols are used in modern Wicca. While they may be related to older symbols, it can be difficult researching that relation. I've seen quite a bit of incorrect information while trying to do so. (Such as confusing ancient Egyptian deities with Greek.)

Row 3:
C1 Infinity
C2 ◡ - Dwarven Forge label this as Widdershins, which means counterclockwise. I've not been able to confirm this with the little searching I've done. I think it may be a DF original? The Widdershins symbols I did find had an indication of direction.

More alphabet. Note that X is not present in the alphabet order. You'll find it below in the Roman Numerals and on page 8-02 as mentioned.

Rows 6 - 9, Cols 1 - 3 contain Roman Numerals. If you're not familiar with them they translate to regular (Arabic) numbers as follows:

I = 1
II = 2
III = 3
IV = 4
V = 5
VI = 6
VII = 7
VIII = 8
IX = 9
X = 10
XI = 11
XII = 12

Our circle this time has a Heptagram or Septagram - a Seven-Pointed star.

MBCE
Orc
Orc

Re: Puzzle Floor Symbol Explanations

Post by MBCE » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:53 pm

ilionblaze wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:36 pm
As most people know there's supposed to be a reference sheet explaining the different symbols for the puzzle floors somewhere on dwarvenforge.com. As far as I can tell it was never published. I expect with the skills of the various forum members we could sort most of them out however.

They published the Rune symbols. However, like most things, they decided to bury it within the Dungeon of Doom Adventure and not set it out separately for those that only wanted the symbol key.

If you have the old downloaded versions, they are found in Appendix E, starting around page 172 of the spread sheet version of the adventure or page 328 of the single page version.

If you prefer the web version, you can find it here.
If you prefer the Hi-res file for printing, you can find it here.

Hope this helps save you a lot of time.

ilionblaze
Goblin
Goblin

Puzzle Floor Symbol Explanations

Post by ilionblaze » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:36 pm

As most people know there's supposed to be a reference sheet explaining the different symbols for the puzzle floors somewhere on dwarvenforge.com. As far as I can tell it was never published. I expect with the skills of the various forum members we could sort most of them out however.

Page 8-01: Elder Futhark

Using this site as reference: http://www.heathenhof.com/the-elder-fut ... ive-guide/

These equate to sounds.

Row 1:
(Column)(Number)
C1 (F)ather or (F)ield
C2 (U)nder or Fl(oo)d
C3 (Th)orn or (Th)ing
C4 (A)pple or (Aw)ful
C5 (R)ing or (R)ide
C6 (G)ive or lo(ch) ness
C7 (W)eird or (V)ault

Row 2:
C1 (K)ing or (C)limb
C2 (H)ail or (H)ot
C3 (N)eed or (N)ame
C4 F(i)t or subm(i)t
C5 (J)ail or (Y)odel
C6 (P)ot or (P)edal
C7 Br(i)ght or Fl(y)

Row 3:
C1 (Z)ing or Cou(s)in
C2 (S)alt or Ni(c)e (this symbol seems very different.)
C3 (T)ail or (T)orch
C4 (B)oat or (B)igger
C5 (M)elt or (M)ode
C6 (E)lf or (Ee)l
C7 (L)ake or (L)over

Row 4:
C1 so(NG) or fi(NG)er (I think that's what this rune is supposed to be.)
C2 (D)ay or (D)ig
C3 (O)ld or cl(O)t

Then we get into the alphabet we're used to. I'll not explain those since if you're reading this forum you obviously understand it. The pentagram I'll note has the 5 alchemical symbols in the circles. Based on orientation I believe they are: Salt 🜔, Mercury ☿, Sulfur 🜍, Earth 🜃, Water 🜄. I suggest reading the link previously provided for how to use Elder Futhark runes if you're unfamiliar with them.

Page 8-02:

I think this page is a somewhat random collection.

In row 1 columns 5,6 and 7 are respectively the alchemical symbols for Mercury (Mind), Salt (Body), and Sulfur (Soul).

Several others I recognize but I'm having trouble placing. An extra V and X.

Row 5 Column 5 is an eight pointed star, which could refer to the 8 schools of magic or many other things.

Row 5 Column 7 is a Triquetra with a circle. Good wiki article on that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triquetra

More alphabet and another summoning circle. This one has the four elemental symbols in it, plus triquetras, infinity symbols, and more.

Will come back to this later.

Return to “Kickstarter 5 Discussion”