Lava Damage

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Re: Lava Damage

Post by zenako » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:20 pm

In the tiles and most fantasy settings, we are most likely looking at the very fluid, very hot, very glowing bright lava flows. The slower flowing type of lava from a volcano is not as threatening since it does skin over, but punch thru into the superheated fluid, and getting cooked is likely.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 pm

period3 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:47 pm
So this random hit I googled says people can get close to lava, but it depends on wind direction and lava type.

http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/how-clos ... or-kill-me

MrMorden wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:25 pm
If you want to be realistic, a human could probably not get close enough to lava to even walk into a pool. The air around it is going to be several hundred degrees, and the person will get burns on their skin, throat, and in their lungs before they could even have to worry about “immersion”. :lol:

But this is fantasy, not reality, and the D&D lava rules are brutal enough to make it deadly but still fun.

If you want pseudo-realism, something like 5d10 heat damage standing at the edge of the lava, decreasing 1d10 for each ten feet back would be a good start. Contact would be 8d10, immersion 16d10. The good news is Tieflings have fire resistance and “only” take half damage... :shock:
From that article:

Lava won't kill you if it briefly touches you. You would get a nasty burn, but unless you fell in and couldn't get out, you wouldn't die. With prolonged contact, the amount of lava "coverage" and the length of time it was in contact with your skin would be important factors in how severe your injuries would be! The health of the individual, the amount of time before care can be given and the quality of that care would also be important. In fact there have been 2 cases at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory where a geologist fell into lava. Fortunately in both instances the lava was not very deep and they were able to get out quickly. Both ended up in the hospital and it was a scary and painful experience. Both recovered fine. Blong (1984) points out that little research has been done on injuries caused by lava. People have been killed by very fast moving lava flows. A recent example was the 1977 eruption at Nyiragongo.

Also, people get near lava all of the time.

102 Resin and 232 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:47 pm

So this random hit I googled says people can get close to lava, but it depends on wind direction and lava type.

http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/how-clos ... or-kill-me

MrMorden wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:25 pm
If you want to be realistic, a human could probably not get close enough to lava to even walk into a pool. The air around it is going to be several hundred degrees, and the person will get burns on their skin, throat, and in their lungs before they could even have to worry about “immersion”. :lol:

But this is fantasy, not reality, and the D&D lava rules are brutal enough to make it deadly but still fun.

If you want pseudo-realism, something like 5d10 heat damage standing at the edge of the lava, decreasing 1d10 for each ten feet back would be a good start. Contact would be 8d10, immersion 16d10. The good news is Tieflings have fire resistance and “only” take half damage... :shock:

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 am

In my campaigns, I would not expect to have the characters have to really engage with something lava based until around 9-11th level or so, which would give them access to a fair amount of protective magic. So the balance is having the damage still present some risk even when protected, but not too severe, but being really nasty if no precautions are taken. (I have a Red Dragon populated that the players just recently heard about (they are currently 6th level and far away), that they might have reason to encounter or confront.) It is known that the mountain the dragon lives in is an active volcano. So I hope to be getting the 6.66 before they head that way...

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:56 pm

To me it is all how cinematic do you want to be. Realistically, you could not do any encounter on or near lava without serious magical help. I end to lower the damage quite a bit so the encounter can play out well. Lava is deadly, but not in a single round. more like 5-10 rounds

Of course, you still gotta worry about the monsters.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:25 pm

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Never underestimate the ingenuity of the black market.

The lava fields are part the local thieves guild territory. They circulate rumors of hidden treasures to be found there, sell watered down fire resistance potions which wear off mid-adventure. Then they fly over the lava on magic carpets, stopping to loot the poor, charbroiled adventurers corpses. Will the players fall for the trap, pretend to fall for it to lure out the ruffians' leaders, or....

blakoutsun
Goblin
Goblin

Post by blakoutsun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:07 pm

I imagine my players would definitely walk by the lava resistance potion stand and have a discussion about how dumb lava resistance potions are...

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:04 pm

How about some protection from lava potions?
they had some in a stall we passed....
it was just back there a bit. ;)

...and then the potions wear off early. :twisted:

blakoutsun
Goblin
Goblin

Post by blakoutsun » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:12 pm

I really like your idea of proximity damage. I agree that this ads a degree of warning about the dangers present in contacting lava.

Return to “Gaming Talk”