Lava Damage

This is an area to discuss topics related to gaming.
Spiropolous the Minotaur
Orc
Orc

Re: Lava Damage

Post by Spiropolous the Minotaur » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:37 am

bottom line for me is having fun. I have used the resin hellscape in games and I made it so that just entering the hellscape you sustain 1 HP of damage per round...but that was 1st level characters...I think I would up the damage for this NEW Hellscape...maybe the older Resin hellscape is not as hot...maybe mostly crusted over...but this new one, especially the lit up version is liquid hot and anyone in this cave would sustain 2-12 hp of damage a round! As for falling INTO the Lava, I would either do, save vs breath, save for 10d6 damage or fail and die...these are all unprotected...resist fire should help.
As for using both Resin and this new lava, I would simply have the Resin in it's own room and this Newer hotter lava in a farther or lower room. I personally would not mix the two together, I would put them side by side...

MrMorden
Ogre
Ogre

Post by MrMorden » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:40 pm

Sorry guys, those pics are mostly cooled and crusted over lava, not fully liquid pools, and certainly not in a contained cavern that traps the heat, like where most D&D encounters occur. I’m standing by my numbers for real exposure to full on liquid magma. That is IF you want realism. I don’t go for that in my game, so I’m fine with the standard lava rules.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:28 pm

Yeah, while I could imagine someone letting their tripod begin to go up in flames, it would be really hard to just stand there with your feet starting to burn, especially since there would also be no safe place to stand if you pulled your melting sneakers off so you did not have ruined feet. A little smolder, sure, see that all the time on campouts and campfires, but active full-blown flames...not so much.

kitenerd
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by kitenerd » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:37 pm

this picture was the first thing i thought of reading this thread...

it is, sadly, fake - the photographer fessed up after it went viral

he was really standing on the lava, but the flames were done with lighter fluid (or some such) just for effect - he didn't actually spontaneously combust

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2 ... fire-photo
"Miniatures?, sure sign of a petty mind!" - 'The Women' 1939

John D
Orc
Orc

Post by John D » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:46 pm

AnimeSensei, awesome picture of the day!
dedication.jpg
dedication.jpg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 178 times
(I renamed it..) So is the guy who took this picture on fire too?

more I look at it, the more I see a perfect allegory for my life... :?

(Edit- okay, in light of kitenerd's next post, I have to say my life is not faked ;) .)
Last edited by John D on Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:20 pm

In the tiles and most fantasy settings, we are most likely looking at the very fluid, very hot, very glowing bright lava flows. The slower flowing type of lava from a volcano is not as threatening since it does skin over, but punch thru into the superheated fluid, and getting cooked is likely.

AnimeSensei
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by AnimeSensei » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:28 pm

period3 wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:47 pm
So this random hit I googled says people can get close to lava, but it depends on wind direction and lava type.

http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/how-clos ... or-kill-me

MrMorden wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:25 pm
If you want to be realistic, a human could probably not get close enough to lava to even walk into a pool. The air around it is going to be several hundred degrees, and the person will get burns on their skin, throat, and in their lungs before they could even have to worry about “immersion”. :lol:

But this is fantasy, not reality, and the D&D lava rules are brutal enough to make it deadly but still fun.

If you want pseudo-realism, something like 5d10 heat damage standing at the edge of the lava, decreasing 1d10 for each ten feet back would be a good start. Contact would be 8d10, immersion 16d10. The good news is Tieflings have fire resistance and “only” take half damage... :shock:
From that article:

Lava won't kill you if it briefly touches you. You would get a nasty burn, but unless you fell in and couldn't get out, you wouldn't die. With prolonged contact, the amount of lava "coverage" and the length of time it was in contact with your skin would be important factors in how severe your injuries would be! The health of the individual, the amount of time before care can be given and the quality of that care would also be important. In fact there have been 2 cases at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory where a geologist fell into lava. Fortunately in both instances the lava was not very deep and they were able to get out quickly. Both ended up in the hospital and it was a scary and painful experience. Both recovered fine. Blong (1984) points out that little research has been done on injuries caused by lava. People have been killed by very fast moving lava flows. A recent example was the 1977 eruption at Nyiragongo.

Also, people get near lava all of the time.

102 Resin and 212 Dwarvenite Sets/Packs Owned

period3
Orc
Orc

Post by period3 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:47 pm

So this random hit I googled says people can get close to lava, but it depends on wind direction and lava type.

http://volcano.oregonstate.edu/how-clos ... or-kill-me

MrMorden wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:25 pm
If you want to be realistic, a human could probably not get close enough to lava to even walk into a pool. The air around it is going to be several hundred degrees, and the person will get burns on their skin, throat, and in their lungs before they could even have to worry about “immersion”. :lol:

But this is fantasy, not reality, and the D&D lava rules are brutal enough to make it deadly but still fun.

If you want pseudo-realism, something like 5d10 heat damage standing at the edge of the lava, decreasing 1d10 for each ten feet back would be a good start. Contact would be 8d10, immersion 16d10. The good news is Tieflings have fire resistance and “only” take half damage... :shock:

zenako
Minotaur
Minotaur

Post by zenako » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 am

In my campaigns, I would not expect to have the characters have to really engage with something lava based until around 9-11th level or so, which would give them access to a fair amount of protective magic. So the balance is having the damage still present some risk even when protected, but not too severe, but being really nasty if no precautions are taken. (I have a Red Dragon populated that the players just recently heard about (they are currently 6th level and far away), that they might have reason to encounter or confront.) It is known that the mountain the dragon lives in is an active volcano. So I hope to be getting the 6.66 before they head that way...

dice4hire
Minotaur Lord
Minotaur Lord

Post by dice4hire » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:56 pm

To me it is all how cinematic do you want to be. Realistically, you could not do any encounter on or near lava without serious magical help. I end to lower the damage quite a bit so the encounter can play out well. Lava is deadly, but not in a single round. more like 5-10 rounds

Of course, you still gotta worry about the monsters.
A pretty decent Docent of Valoria

Return to “Gaming Talk”